Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo Vs. Scoob... Ex Evo Owners???

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2009, 08:35 PM
ScoobTypeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo Vs. Scoob... Ex Evo Owners???

Just interested in what you think of them both. How they compare. I know having driven/owned Subaru/evo, But its good to hear peoples opinions on them.

I have spoken to a few guys who had big power evo7/8s then changed to either classic or newage Subaru and dont regret it. They prefer the Subaru, and say they actually hold the road better and more fun to drive. One chap said there the most reliable engine, lol..

This is mainly for my Uncle. He had an Evo9GT running 440bhp, Sold it and wants another car. And when you can get a newage sti with low miles for around £7k.. Its cheap, alot cheaper than an evo

I prefer subarus myself, never really been an evo fan.

Thanks in advance
Old 07 October 2009, 09:02 PM
evobad
Scooby Regular

scoobys are alot cheaper, having owned evo 3-4-6-8 the evo is the faster car but i do like driving the impreza,but there isnt much in it both are great cars
Old 07 October 2009, 09:12 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

is that STI's or WRX's EVO BAD?

Ive got a newage 03 Plate wrx and find it boring, took out an evo5 but couldnt justify the age/price thing.
Old 07 October 2009, 09:23 PM
S1FU
Scooby Regular

Topgear tested the Blobeye STI and Evo 8 and prefered the scoob. Enough said
Old 07 October 2009, 09:23 PM
shawy1976
Scooby Regular

Out of the box i think the evo is a better handling and faster car , but spend the diffrence in price on a few mods and there is no contest .
Old 07 October 2009, 09:26 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

GTW try a classic then
Old 07 October 2009, 09:26 PM
type-ellis
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has just brought an evo 5, standing looking at them the other day when they were parked side by side, personally i think my classic type r is the better looking car, my interior is alot nicer, His gearbox felt sloppy compared to mine and at santa pod on sunday he couldnt match me on the strip, so if it was out of our 2 cars id deffinatly keep mine over his, If i had the money to buy a new evo tho things may be differant. Saying that tho if i had the money for a new evo id prob buy a r34gtr instead

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2009, 09:34 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

I owned a mildly Tuned 350 Bhp Evo 6, It was a great car...... But.......

I found to get the best out of the Evo & really make you smile you had to push it hard to get the best out of it, Otherwise it just feels & sounds like any other inline 4 cylinder sports car.

Although the scoob does not handle as well at the extreme's (Don't get mme wrong they do handle) The scoob does make a stance at any speed & you don't need to drive @ break neck speeds to smile.. a low down rumble & a deep growl

Dean
Old 07 October 2009, 09:44 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Ive owned an Evo 6 GSR and a 99 Sti Impreza, the Evo feels all round a lot more solidly built, the drive and the way the power is delivered on the Evo is a lot smoother than an Impreza, half the time you don`t realise what speed your doing in an Evo unless your constantly looking at the clock because of the way the power is delivered. The only thing an Evo lacks in my opinion compared to an Impreza is a distinct engine tone, the lack of roar from the engine contributes to you not realising what speed your doing at times as its so smooth.

The Impreza feels more raw, the build quality doesn`t feel as good as the Evo but the raw drive and distinct boxer sound makes it feel closer to a rally car, both are great cars, after owning an Evo the 22b is still my dream car which i would love to own one day. A 22b and a red Makinen Evo 6 would be my dream garage

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 07 October 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07 October 2009, 09:47 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Both great cars
Evo I feel is definately the best out of the box. In terms of brakes, easy tunability. Evo 6 was really the highlight. My good mate who is ex subaru has had a red tommy mak and now a track RS - great bits of kit

Subaru ...for me the classic has the involvement, the go kart like feel ....it has more passion to it.... it might be slightly less capable but it kind of involves you more the smell and noise- no active yaw control.

My evo mate..when he gets in mine says he misses the rumble of the scoob.

Evos are a bit less common. But the classic subaru IS the rally icon of recent years....like the UR quatro and the Integrale. Modify it properly and well there isnt anything in it - both cars are kin quick - for me the subaru just has the edge as a true gutsy petrolhead car with character. Which is why I am subaru man through and through..evey time I get into a well set up Evo it does do it for me - but never as much as the flat four rumble.

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 07 October 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07 October 2009, 09:51 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

just gone from a v7 sti 02 too a 96 sti ra both very modded but i was surprised to find that i prefered the older car just a better performance car allround,
had evo's 3,5,6 and have driven 7,8 but they are boring unless you are caning there **** as said above and my 373 bhp evo 6 could only do 80 miles to a tank with a heavy right foot! and getting bits is expensive so i stick with subaru now!
Old 07 October 2009, 09:56 PM
andyscoobym3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

evo all day, stronger, better looking, and dont look like you have covered them in glue and ram raided halfords
Old 07 October 2009, 09:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My pal Ben builds 2.3 Evo* motors for peanuts and they manage around 500 bhp on average with few serious mods.... they are generally a £4K more expensive motor to start with.

I'd had both, if I could afford to !

dunx
Old 07 October 2009, 11:00 PM
shawy1976
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyscoobym3
evo all day, stronger, better looking, and dont look like you have covered them in glue and ram raided halfords
This is a clouded judgement
Old 08 October 2009, 12:53 AM
New_scooby_04

Try both.

Generally, Evo more capable track car, more focused and highly strung to drive. Scooby, better proposition on the road, more relaxed and characterful demeanor.

Horses for courses!
Old 08 October 2009, 01:06 AM
pikeywrx
Scooby Regular

Had both evo 2 and 4. Evo 2 was heavily modified and very quick. The scooby still manages to put a smile on my face think its the flat four noise
Old 08 October 2009, 01:49 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if i had the money, i'd probably get a evo ix. just the maintenance is ott

wiley
Old 08 October 2009, 05:19 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
My pal Ben builds 2.3 Evo* motors for peanuts and they manage around 500 bhp on average with few serious mods.... they are generally a £4K more expensive motor to start with.

I'd had both, if I could afford to !

dunx
hes not out my way is he dunx? also know a lad called ben who does this
Old 08 October 2009, 06:21 AM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Always Subaru for me. Test drove a few Evo's over the years, 6,7,8 & 10, lovely and capable cars all of them. Just don't do it for me. Subaru seems to have more character if you know what I mean?. Not alot in it now with the new models niether.

Lee
Old 08 October 2009, 07:14 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GTW

Ive got a newage 03 Plate wrx and find it boring, .
Maybe you should save up for some mods then. I thought mine was a bit underpowered when standard but I wouldn't say boring..
Old 08 October 2009, 07:34 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my mates 600bhp Evo9 GT on sunday,f*cking awesomwe,even though im a scooby fan,i would be tempted
Old 08 October 2009, 08:51 AM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

Ive had a Classic and an Evo 8 MR, both running 400 bhp. Sorry guys but I prefered my Evo.
Old 08 October 2009, 09:03 AM
evilpob
Scooby Regular

I'm at this stage too.. currently own a WRX (PPP) but have been looking at maybe getting something newer.. well quicker..

So have been looking at Evo 8/9 but it's hard finding one that's not modded in someway.

But for the money of a low mileage EVO 8/9 i could probably get RB320... but then the road tax is stupid @ 400 quid..

The Servicing is OTT for an EVO (roughly 2 services a year).. not sure what is needed exactly!

I also know i will probably miss the sound of the scooby but any EVO with a 3" exhaust sounds good too...

Any advice is welcome..

If i was to get something brand new i would go for the evo x i think... all the mod cons and performance!! ?
Old 08 October 2009, 09:13 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Driven several evos liked the instant reponse from the setup but they just lack a certain something, everytime i get behind the wheel of a scoob be it a standard one or 600bhp one the drive is special

Banny
Old 08 October 2009, 01:02 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

Never own an Evo but have driven a friends 8, wasn't to bad and not that much different to my v9 STI, both our cars are over 300 bhp and there nothing between them speed wise.

I have to agree with Dean F about the way the Impreza makes you feel, sat in the Evo unless you look in the rear view or at the passenger seat it's easy to forget what your in, where as to there is always a sense of theatre about driving my scoob, the STI dial, the scoop thats always in your eyeline, the SOUND.

At the end of the day both are great cars but most people seem to have a natural preference of one over the other.
Old 08 October 2009, 01:34 PM
GTW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
Maybe you should save up for some mods then. I thought mine was a bit underpowered when standard but I wouldn't say boring..
Nah, better to sell it and get an STI to be honest. Then start to play with that one.
Old 08 October 2009, 04:44 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

I have gone from an Evo 7 to a Wagon, only reason being that I cant afford an Evo 9 Estate. It is hard to describe how it feels driving an Evo, before I bought it I was convinced that I wanted a Skyline then a guy in the MLR let me drive his car when we were at TOTB, I stepped out and said "I am buying one of these"

The Evo just feels as though it is almost up on tip toes the whole time, any slight movement is rewarded with such feedback, that includes steering, brakes, grip and power.

I have to say I am very impressed with my Wagon and for the money I think it is a great car but if I could I would go back to having another Evo tomorrow.
Old 08 October 2009, 06:16 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

the evo is just more refined however you get an evo 5rs Vs and ver 3 sti RA the ra ra has more rawness to it. overall evos do have better stronger engines and gearboxes and yes not all chavs can afford them where subarus are just every where.
Old 08 October 2009, 07:00 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Comparing classic impreza to evo 6 (I own an evo 6 and an MY00 impreza)

I prefer the drive of the Impreza.

There's no doubting the evo is a good car but it doesn't feel as solid/stuck to the road as an Impreza. Also the steering is way too light and pedals are too light to operate (end up with foot ache holding the throttle) The evo feels like a hovver craft or something, hard to explain but just feels really light, smooth as hell (compared to scoob) I'm sure it's heavier but it just doesn't 'feel' planted.

The Evo only really comes into it's own at higher speed cornering (where it's in a different league) but I'm not a racing driver and the Impreza suits my style and 'family man' needs better.
Old 08 October 2009, 07:59 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pikeywrx
Had both evo 2 and 4. Evo 2 was heavily modified and very quick. The scooby still manages to put a smile on my face think its the flat four noise
My E2 was rapid too but I just never smilled looking at it, ugly car but fast as foooook lol
The subaru makes me feel good when I look/hear it.