Potential new owner :)

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2009, 08:10 PM
r32dave
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new owner :)

Hi all!

I currently own a MKIV Golf R32 which I am looking at selling to replace with a Scooby. Have always been a fan of them!

Been talking to a dealer about an 2007 GB270......

Bit of a broad query, but is there anything I should know about them? Would it be better just to get an STI?

One thing about the R32 was that it is so expensive to get any decent power increases through tuning as it was n/a. I'm assuming a remap will see quite high power increases on the Scooby?

Sorry for the newbie questions!
Old 07 October 2009, 08:19 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

if your looking for more power go for a sti the 270 is just a wrx with a re map it starts to get very £££ geting one over 300bhp. sti are safe up to 380-400 without big bills.

welcome sure you will love a hawkeye STI
Old 07 October 2009, 08:29 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

welcome to our site
Old 07 October 2009, 08:37 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

If your after a load more power then go for it, i went from a corrado vr6 to uk turbo classic with 280 bhp and from low speeds they are in a diffent league but im sure you'll miss the engine flexibilty of your R32 and past 80 im sure there wouldnt be a huge performance benefit.

I do miss the sound of the vr engine whether 12 or 24 valve though
Old 07 October 2009, 09:03 PM
r32dave
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys for your replies

F1 CJE UK - that is worth a thought then, but to be honest I wouldnt be looking at getting huge amounts of power as I will be using it daily.. How much should I be looking to pay for an 07 plate STI mate?

Maff125 - will certainly miss the noise it makes. The thing is it is currently MINT condition and I want to sell it on before it starts to wear out with my increase in driving for work etc. It also has a brand new engine in it due to a cam chain failure, so want to sell while it is still on low mileage etc.

Im guessing by flexibility you mean that the power is either there or not with the scooby due to turbo lag etc?

Last edited by r32dave; 07 October 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07 October 2009, 09:29 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Yeah, maybe the new sti's are a bit more refined and driveable than an old ppp'd 99 classic, but mine with a tdo4 turbo spools up pretty quick but u can't beat the smooth balanced power delivery of a v6 engine, my subaru will pull from under 2k rpm but it doesnt like it, still its a weekend car so i shouldn,t moan to much.

Comparing it to my old vr6, i could put my foot down at just over 1k rpm and it was as smooth as a button all the way to well past 140.

Just find myself always changing gear in the subaru and could happy tootle around in one gear in the corrado, but no what u mean about performance gains on the vr6 engine, the vf, rotrex superchargers are not cheap, not to mention the 650bhp twin turbo conversion!

Imprezas are very well sorted cars though and sure you wont regret the move
Old 08 October 2009, 11:07 AM
r32dave
Scooby Newbie

Yeah it is a really tough decision. I do love my R32 but it is costing alot on servicing now being a 53 plate and im going to be doing more mileage with work etc.

I guess a test drive will tell!

Whats the general consenus on servicing costs etc and reliability? are there any known issues?

Also, a small point but how easy is it to fit HIDs? I'd definitely miss the Xenons on the R

Last edited by r32dave; 08 October 2009 at 11:10 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2009, 11:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maff125
Yeah, maybe the new sti's are a bit more refined and driveable than an old ppp'd 99 classic, but mine with a tdo4 turbo spools up pretty quick but u can't beat the smooth balanced power delivery of a v6 engine, my subaru will pull from under 2k rpm but it doesnt like it, still its a weekend car so i shouldn,t moan to much.

Comparing it to my old vr6, i could put my foot down at just over 1k rpm and it was as smooth as a button all the way to well past 140.

Just find myself always changing gear in the subaru and could happy tootle around in one gear in the corrado, but no what u mean about performance gains on the vr6 engine, the vf, rotrex superchargers are not cheap, not to mention the 650bhp twin turbo conversion!

Imprezas are very well sorted cars though and sure you wont regret the move
Theres a big difference between 2 liter 99 classic and a 2.5 07 sti in terms of torgue and power delivery i think you'll find after a remap designed to your driving style that there is a wave of torque to be had from the 2.5 quite low down in the rev range compaired to the much revier 2l
Old 08 October 2009, 11:34 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

the gb270 loks nice but a spec c or an sti would be the better option
Old 08 October 2009, 03:07 PM
New_scooby_04

Welcome to SN.

Yes, Impreza's are relatively easy and amenable to tuning, but if that is your intention, as advised above, you may be better off going for an STi they are 400bhp capable on std internals and cheap to get about 330 out of.

With the WRX, it's cheap to get to 270ish, but above that starts to cost, and the internals are marginal if you're trying for the late 300s or going for 400.

DO be aware that running these cars is not cheap and that as soon as you start modding it's a slipperly slope to STMOTFC syndrome

That's Spend Too Much On The F**king Car, btw!
Old 08 October 2009, 03:18 PM
r32dave
Scooby Newbie

To be honest, tuning isnt really a big intention really as it is going to be a car im using all the time and I want it to be reliable. I think 5.3 (or whatever it is) to 60 for me will be fine lol.

I'm hoping that it will be cheaper to run than my 53 plate R32 however. (Considering I had to replace the whole engine due to cam chain failure this year at a cost of £4000, that should be possible :P)
Old 08 October 2009, 03:32 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I have a 2006 Sti which has been remapped and is now around 340bhp. Its very torquey low down and you dont have to make sure you are in the right gear like i used to in my 04 WRX. The hawkeye STi has xenons aswell
Old 08 October 2009, 09:31 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Theres a big difference between 2 liter 99 classic and a 2.5 07 sti in terms of torgue and power delivery i think you'll find after a remap designed to your driving style that there is a wave of torque to be had from the 2.5 quite low down in the rev range compaired to the much revier 2l
I was refering more to the smooth power delivery of a v6 engine over a 4 cylinder, my 2.0 does pull well from low down and has plenty of torque but it vibrates and doesn't really like, but I'm sure the newer 2.0's are much more refined let alone the 2.5's which are obviously more torquey with a bigger displacement, what do I know I've never even driven a new age car! But pretty sure a 6 cylinder engine is more of a pleasure to drive everyday than a four cylinder?

One thing though that the boxer engine has is character and it's certainly not a boring in line four like other jap marques I care not to mention
Old 08 October 2009, 10:02 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Mine is for sale at the moment, check out my garage, its already had most of what people class as the must have mods on it, defis, remap etc and all done safely and by one of the best mappers around, there is a ad on pistonheads as well.

Mac
Old 08 October 2009, 10:56 PM
r32dave
Scooby Newbie

I was refering more to the smooth power delivery of a v6 engine over a 4 cylinder, my 2.0 does pull well from low down and has plenty of torque but it vibrates and doesn't really like, but I'm sure the newer 2.0's are much more refined let alone the 2.5's which are obviously more torquey with a bigger displacement, what do I know I've never even driven a new age car! But pretty sure a 6 cylinder engine is more of a pleasure to drive everyday than a four cylinder?

One thing though that the boxer engine has is character and it's certainly not a boring in line four like other jap marques I care not to mention
Yeah are right Maff, the V6 is fantastic in terms power through the entire rev range. As you say it pulls straight from 1000k revs, and doesnt stop until 7000, but it is a heavy car so does hit the 0-60.

The sound of the V6 is unbeatable, but I do think the Boxer engine sounds a million times better than any other 4 cylinder engine, absolutely love that burble
Old 09 October 2009, 06:00 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

One last thing, i could get 40 mpg at a push out of my vr and i struggle to get 25 out of the scooby no matter how i drive it, one thing i didn't really think of when buying mine, i always seem to be putting petrol in it.

Luckily i have a diesel for work otherwise id be proper skint do 500 miles a week!

Sti definatly the one to go for if you can afford it, uprated engine internals and everything, would cost you a fortune to make a wrx into one.

But they are cracking motors, enjoy

Last edited by maff125; 09 October 2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09 October 2009, 09:27 PM
r32dave
Scooby Newbie

One last thing, i could get 40 mpg at a push out of my vr and i struggle to get 25 out of the scooby no matter how i drive it, one thing i didn't really think of when buying mine, i always seem to be putting petrol in it.

Luckily i have a diesel for work otherwise id be proper skint do 500 miles a week!

Sti definatly the one to go for if you can afford it, uprated engine internals and everything, would cost you a fortune to make a wrx into one.

But they are cracking motors, enjoy
Lol i get 18-22 around town and maximum 27 on the motorway in the R32, so the Scooby will be slightly better!

Thanks for all the info guys