Sponsored by:

my2000 with Link - cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2009, 10:26 PM
ciaranwoo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my2000 with Link - cutting out

Hello everyone. Mostly an interested onlooker here but am having a problem which I am hoping someone may be able to help with.

Car is uk car with a link ecu for many years (long before my time) has always run like a clock for me over the last 2 1/2 years but a couple of weeks ago it cut out once or twice when driving and once wouldnt start for maybe 1/2 hour and on another occasion it just cut out while accelerating but didnt stall, ran ok afterwards.

This was repeated a few days later under acceleration but wouldnt run properly, missing and backfiring and hunting like crazy. Made it home. Next day wouldnt start, checked fuel pump and pressure (3.5 bar), before and after filter, seemed ok. Took out a plug and could just see a small spark on initial turn to ignition and nothing after. Tried loosening leads at the coil, couldnt see a spark at all.

Changed coil (2nd hand!) started, seemed ok, idled and revved for a bit, all seemed ok. Took off and it stalled. again started ok and drove off, started and drove maybe 400 yds and began missing wildly and backfiring again. made it home. Tried a couple of days later, started and drove for 10 miles, no problems, in fact seemed much smoother then before! and took throttle at low revs/high gear much better.

Started this evening ok, idled for 5 mins and drove 100 yds from house and missed and stalled and no start!

So too get to the chase, does anyone have any advice on how to use interrogate the Link for any problems and any other advice to offer. I am assuming it is a sensor or connector or maybe the immobiliser? I have cleaned the crank sensor and he cam sensor is only a coule of years old

As always thanks very much for the help

Ciaran Woods
Old 05 October 2009, 10:30 PM
ciaranwoo
Scooby Newbie

Forgot to add anyone know a good subaru man nr Uckfield, East Sussex?
Old 06 October 2009, 08:47 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Possibly its a dodgy connection from the MAF ? - if its only giving an intermittent signal this could be why the car is all over the place - maybe vibration from the engine is connecting and disconnecting the signal from it ?

See if you can find a spare maf somewhere and swap it over and see if this cures it.

Other than that, get it into a garage and get them to run diagnostics on it in case it is one of the other sensors is playing up.
Old 06 October 2009, 06:35 PM
ciaranwoo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice Mike, but I think that the Link ecu does not use the Maf anymore. Ready to be corrected though.
Old 06 October 2009, 10:38 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ciaranwoo
Thanks for the advice Mike, but I think that the Link ecu does not use the Maf anymore. Ready to be corrected though.
You're right, it doesn't.
I had a 99my with link ECU Not particularly sophisticated but it worked ok (eventually)
The man you need to talk to is Bob Rawle of BR Developments. He installed and mapped mine back in 2001 He's the main man for the Link system and he's in Swindon.

JohnD
Old 07 October 2009, 01:33 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a link on my my98 terzo, it was doing the same thing cutting out and struggling to run

link ecus dont need maf input, map based ecu

have you got the hand controller, if so read the battery voltage if this goes over 15volts the ecu shuts it self down to protect itself, i found that my 2 voltage regulator were awau on the pcb, a 12v reg and 5v reg were not working right anymore

replaced them, and my link ecu is spot on again. managed to pick up another link ecu for ver 3-4 for 200 pounds complete

there was a link ecu for ver5-6 on ebay if thats any good, just need to swap chip over

Neil