Sponsored by:

1st time spray job

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2009, 10:13 AM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time spray job

OK this may seem a really simple thing to you lot but this is my first attempt at doing something for my car myself - I have aquired a new front grille for my car and its in the wrong colour so a respray is reqd thought I would tackle this myself. So am I correct in thinking i need to sand the area down finely, use a primer and then re-spray the required colour ??? any tips advice greatly recieved will post pics before and after once done
Old 19 September 2009, 11:15 AM
al02uk
Scooby Regular

be sure to leave plenty of time between, primer, paint, laquer. I left 48hrs between all.

try to ensure the area is dust free, and good luck
Old 19 September 2009, 11:21 AM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

yeah all you need to do is flat with some scotch brite or 800 w/d, then mask off what you dont want colour on, then apply about 3 light layers of primer, then let that dry(for a few hours) then wet flayt that with 800/1000 w/d, dont worry to much if you go threw the preimer aslong as you don't go down to the plastic, then clean off off any dust or water with panel, then apply 3 light coats of colour, let that dry then do a dust coat of lacquer then a heavier coat of lacquer(not to heavy otherwise it will run) hope this helps

scott
Old 19 September 2009, 11:23 AM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

thats panel wipe and primer oh and flat lol sorry for my poor spelling!!
Old 20 September 2009, 01:35 AM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

having probs with new grill i got its from a facelift and at minute its wrong colour but stupidly wanted to see what it looked like so took off old one and placed new in place shut my bonnet stepped back WOW looked awesome big smile on face BUT then pulled the bonnet latch in car and oh no couldnt open my bonnet as the new grille sat that flush i couldnt open the bonnet couldnt get fingers under to release catch panic set in lol - after nearly half hour of knives and any other flat instruments at hand managed to prise open - mmmm needs some modifications me thinks, may have to cut a section of the grill off so that i can access the bonnet latch, so will have a hack at that tomorrow b4 i do a spray job on it and see if i can get to fit - hope so as it looks wicked on
Old 20 September 2009, 02:12 AM
Ste98Turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zeuss
having probs with new grill i got its from a facelift and at minute its wrong colour but stupidly wanted to see what it looked like so took off old one and placed new in place shut my bonnet stepped back WOW looked awesome big smile on face BUT then pulled the bonnet latch in car and oh no couldnt open my bonnet as the new grille sat that flush i couldnt open the bonnet couldnt get fingers under to release catch panic set in lol - after nearly half hour of knives and any other flat instruments at hand managed to prise open - mmmm needs some modifications me thinks, may have to cut a section of the grill off so that i can access the bonnet latch, so will have a hack at that tomorrow b4 i do a spray job on it and see if i can get to fit - hope so as it looks wicked on

It's tight mate but you can get a pre facelift classic bonnet to shut/open ok with a facelift grill without modding it check my scoob out ive got a 93 RA with a facelift grill on
Old 20 September 2009, 09:28 AM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

thats the same grill that I have bought how do you open / shut without modding it then because once my bonnet is shut cant even get fingers under to release the catch