Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is it possible to replace bulbs in the 3rd brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2009, 08:09 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to replace bulbs in the 3rd brake light?

Hi..
As above really. The built in brake light in the spoiler has a lot of the bulbs out and the guys that use to supply Milsport with the replacement lights have gone into liquidation, I've mailed quite a few breakers but they don't want to take the lights out of the spoilers which I can understand, I was wondering if any of you have had the light unit out and think it might be possible to replace the leds, I'm assuming thats what there are ?
Thanks Julie
Old 07 September 2009, 08:42 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Hi Julie, not sure if your spoiler is the same as mine, with the brake light just above the boot lid? If so I'll have a look at mine and see if I can find out...
Old 07 September 2009, 08:50 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Morning scooby546.. Yes, mine is exactly the same as yours. I know when we had the spoiler sprayed to match the car we were going to take it out to make spraying easier but it appeared pretty stuck so we left it in place.. Thought I would ask before hand.. thank you so much in advance..
Old 07 September 2009, 09:25 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Hi Julie,

No probs - here's a couple of pics of mine... this is a view of the light, mine appears to have a panel below the light that may come off:

and here's a closer view of the lamp itself - mine is an LED array, using 5mm clear standard LEDs so should be fairly easy to replace with new ones if required:

Not sure exactly how easy it would be to remove though, probably have to take the spoiler off to have a good look, but I'll leave that til tomorrow as I'll have to go to work shortly... not a great time to take the car to bits

Cheers,

Pete
Old 07 September 2009, 10:03 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Oh you are just brilliant Pete .. I will have a look at mine in a minute now, don't go taking your car to pieces though, what a thoughtful man you are.. Thank you so much. Julie
Old 07 September 2009, 05:57 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

No probs, let me know how you get on
Old 08 September 2009, 09:29 AM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Morning Pete..
Got the spoiler off, brake light is now out but some tit has had the light out before and has glued the lot together so it won't separate without breaking it.. I've now emailed a heap of breakers and going to ring the others, fingers crossed someone may have one. I can't see them wanting to remove the light from the spoiler though, I wouldn't want to.
Don't suppose anyone else knows if the other low level or mid spoilers use the same light unit, might have to get another spoiler at this rate !
Old 08 September 2009, 09:56 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare...

I think it should be possible to create a new LED array, or get another one that is the right size from Maplin or something, and fit that instead, if you can't find one from another spoiler (they may well be the same size, not sure). Can you give me the measurements of it and I'll have a look around?
Old 10 September 2009, 02:24 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks to be the same spoiler as mine, although I know mine is a replica, taken it off before. So it doesn't have that removable panel underneath, the unit itself has two screws holding it in.
Most of the LED brake lights tend to be sealed units, so its pretty hard to dismantle to replace bulbs.

Before you do all that messing about, just make sure the connection to the brake light is as good as it can be.

Love the newage dash in your car, was it a lot of work?
Old 10 September 2009, 02:43 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Hi there.. We have fixed it, I meant to let pete know yest but forgot really sorry pete, you were more than helpful too.
We got the brake light out and played about with a stanley blade on the glued edges until it broke loose, about 10 of the little LEDS were blown. We had an aftermarket brake light from an old Rover so we used that, put it back together and its working perfectly..
I haven't actually got that dash in mine, yet. Thats someone elses in the US! I'm sourcing as many bits as i can first and may attempt that after crimbo, looks brilliant and shows it can be done although some welding was needed.
I've just copied and pasted what they wrote about the dash "We ended up welding in the dash support so the dash would fit properly, but we don't think the climate control/heater box would have fit in there. If you left the heater in, you'd have to space out the dash to fit. "
Thanks Julie

Last edited by naughtyhunnybunny; 10 September 2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10 September 2009, 03:50 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Hi Julie, glad you got it working in the end

Happy to help

Cheers,

Pete