ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

new owner and i got no clue

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2009, 07:37 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner and i got no clue

ok basically i just bought my very 1st scooby. i got the 03 sti and i need some basic advice to make sure i dont ruin the car,

i keep getting told about leaving the car running to cool the turbo down etc.

basically do i have to do this everytime i use the car or just when i have run the car pretty hard on a long journey not just nipping down the road?

petrol. - i got told its about 19mpg but seems to be worse than that i had a rx8 and a type r and even a vx220 turbo which were all bad for petrol but this seems to be even worse than them and i havent exactly been driving it hard.

extras - i am looking to get a spliter (the original sti) and maybe a rear diffuser and wondered where is the best place and cheapest place to look is, if anyone has a link.

detango - i know this looks soooo much better but believe me when i say i am very lazy and crap when it comes to DIY. so is there anyone who does this for a charge of course and if so somewhere in the north west.

services - how much does a standard service cost? mine is due and just wanted a general idea.

I understand there are alot of questions here and if anyone can help it will be much appreciated.

thanks to anyone taking the time to help.
Old 06 September 2009, 07:44 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Regarding the cooling down and warming up some do and some dont. when starting the car just take it easy and drive off boost till everything is warmed up. (cooling down) If you have been driving it hard then yes let it tick over for 5-10 minutes if driving normal just try and dive off boost for the last mile or two
Old 06 September 2009, 07:47 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

keep getting told about leaving the car running to cool the turbo down etc.

basically do i have to do this everytime i use the car or just when i have run the car pretty hard on a long journey not just nipping down the road?
More important to get it warm before you boot it tbh, but yes after a long journey you should really give it a minute to cool, or off boost for a mile or so before home. Nipping to the shops just turn it off, or walk !

Edit ...lol you beat me !
Old 06 September 2009, 07:51 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome mateThe best advice is probably use the search facillity on S/N - every question that you could ever wish to ask has already been asked and answered...
You will have to become a full member i think,but its worth it...
Re leaving your car to cool down.The general concensus is,its only needed if its been driven hard and youre coming to an immediate stop.Other than that,most people will drive hard and then drive at normal speeds for a short period this will suffice.
No doubt you wont be driving like a tool to go down to the supermarket so dont worry about the above.
You can buy a turbo timer but these tend to be a waste of money.Clifford alarm systems have timers built into them...
-Use V power/Tesco 99 if you can find it...
Depending on where you live,find a local independent tuner to service-impossible to give a figure but £200+
Expensive game,but enjoy
Old 06 September 2009, 08:03 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

thanks alot for taking the time to reply.
Old 06 September 2009, 08:03 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

i know someone who will detango your car where abouts in northwest you live
Old 06 September 2009, 08:10 PM
rumsey
Scooby Regular

just outside wilmslow in cheshire

Last edited by rumsey; 06 September 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06 September 2009, 08:27 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

pm me your no ill bell you tommorow we are in rochdale front lights you want detangoing ill speak to my mate tommorow proberly cost you 20 quid
Old 06 September 2009, 09:18 PM
Freeloader
Scooby Newbie

run car for 5 miles ish to warm up engine and gearbox then give it some ! witin the law! after hard driving let it tick over for a couple of minutes as the turbo runs on a vein of oil supplied from the pressure of the oil, if you cut off it will cut pressure and turbo will spin on air and cost money eventually.( most people drive into an estate or housing complex after a hard drive so car is usually running <3000 revs for a couple of mins or so before stopping. so dont worry to much.
Old 06 September 2009, 10:30 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

Hi welcome i live in sale cheshire if you need any help or advice try pete at prosport stockport subaru spec.
Old 07 September 2009, 10:25 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised you are getting worse than 19mpg - especially if you are not booting it most of the time! Maybe it does need a good service inc. plugs and air filter etc.

JohnD