99 uk turbo ppp suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2009, 01:10 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 uk turbo ppp suspension help

Hi,

I recently purchased a 99 uk turbo with the prodrive handling pack fitted. The suspension consists of bilstein struts and eibach springs which lowers the car by around 25mm which i like but the ride is stupidly hard. On the front there is a bit of movement when pressing down on the wings but the rears have either seized because there is no movement at all and it feels like the only suspension travel is in the tyres or should they be like this? the car corners amazingly well when on a smooth road but as soon as its bumpy its very uncomfortable.

Can i get my bilstein struts serviced? or should i change the bilsteins for a full set of red sti suspension that i have spare?
Question is would the sti suspension be a similar ride height and crucially would they be a little softer than my rock hard prodrive setup?

Really need help with this as the car has limited use as it is and would like it to be a bit more family orientated at times, well some times

thanks matt.
Old 01 September 2009, 09:05 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Surely someone could shed some light on whats up with my rear shocks? also the difference between the bilstein prodrive and sti suspension?

thanks matt
Old 01 September 2009, 10:55 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

you would think so,must be someone on here with these fitted
Old 02 September 2009, 08:52 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Have got these on mine - they are extremely hard, and a nigthmare on rough roads - but they are really designed for smooth roads and tracks.

You shouldn't really be able to get any movement just by pressing down on the car unless you really press hard, so the backs probably aren't seized, that's just the way they are ! At times it does feel like someone has swapped the suspension for scaffold poles though !

I dont think servicing them would make any difference, as it sounds like they are just the way they were designed to be, rather than faulty.

You do learn to live with them after a while ( at least I have ) but sometimes I wish for something a bit softer as they do make the ride uncomfortable at times, and speedbumps need to be taken with care.

AFAIK the STi ones are quite a bit softer, but still harder than the standard WRX ones, so may suit you better.

Personally if I was looking to change I think I'd go for some full adjustable ones, so I could set them softer for normal road driving, but still have the option of stiffening them up if I wanted to.
Old 02 September 2009, 09:59 AM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

If you want to have to have the softer ride of the Sti and the ride height of your current set up then just fit the prodrive springs to the Sti struts & you will have the best of both worlds.
Old 02 September 2009, 11:13 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

i would suggest a set of leda coilovers, had these on my uk turbo and they are superb, very smooth ride and great handling too.
Old 02 September 2009, 06:29 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Thanks people, glad to here that my bilsteins aren't seized and that they are supposed to be that hard, the car does handle amazing well though just cant even dream of taking my little boy out in the car, way to hard.

I think fully adjustable coilovers would obviously be the way forward, but for the time being i think ill just throw the sti struts on and maybe the eibach springs, good idea!

thanks for help