ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Insurance question .. A-plan

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2009, 07:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Insurance question .. A-plan

I'm with A-Plan and before I contact them, or if they read this ...

Over the last few months my car has been ... somewhat ... abused .. by what I hope is not the same person.

Started with little scratches by the boot, then chips to the front .. which I tried to sand down .. didnt help ..

Now today I came out to a ****ing big scrap on the side, it looks like its been hit with a plank or something .. the back door has kinda rippled ...

My question, as I have fully comp (protected) is the damage something I can claim for ?
Old 24 August 2009, 07:32 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I would say so ..... but only the recent events.

I suspect that it would be fully investigated ..... think long and hard before you act is my advice, as once declared it is an 'incident' - whether you claim or not.

And, if you need to claim in future - and you have not fixed the damage - they will pay you much less in a claim as the vehicle value will be lower with unrepaired damage.

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 24 August 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 24 August 2009, 07:50 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Maybe get a quote for repairs and see how much you would get after taking off your excess. Most policies I've had quotes for have several hundred £s excess, so it may not be worth it.

Even though your NCB is protected, you can still only claim a certain number of times, so you may need a big claim later and end up losing it all.

I'd also guess that claiming would still go on your record and have an effect on future quotes.
Old 24 August 2009, 07:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

hmmm.. I don't like the idea of claiming to be honest.. they are welcome to investigate it if required, I have nothing to hide...

I will get a quote at the weekend.
Old 24 August 2009, 08:06 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

mate give up with aplan, bunch of wasters who STILL aint bothered to send out my no claims proof,,,,, seriously worst insurance company i ever delt with and i never even made a claim

they also renewed my policy without my permission AND took payment for it even though i told them i have no interest in renewing my policy 5 months before it ended,, Keith micheals is alot better

good luck with a claim though
Old 24 August 2009, 08:26 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
Keith micheals is alot better

Thats debatible from my experience

Anyway, to the poster........ I would look at what my excess would cost first, compared to the possible cost of the repair and then work out if it's worth doing.
Old 24 August 2009, 08:37 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before getting it repaired I would sort out who is causing the damage. The last thing you want is to have it all repaired and some simple minded bafoon trashing it again.

A friend of mine had the same problem with an ex, she put loads of scratches all over his mr2 so he shelled out for a respray and machine polish, few days later it was covered in scratches again.

Another thing if it is vandalism I suspect you will have to contact the police before the insurance company will do anything about it.
Old 24 August 2009, 08:46 PM
adamj81
Scooby Newbie

To catch who ever is doing this buy one of them cheap an easy to fit DIY cctv systems from B+Q and catch try to catch them out
Old 24 August 2009, 11:06 PM
ray_777
Scooby Newbie

Default Wireless Web Cam

Same advice as adamj81 really, but maybe set up a wireless webcam with Dynamic DNS. You can then view the feed over the internet and depending on the specs record it to your hard drive.
Hope you catch the coward that is doing it.
Old 24 August 2009, 11:20 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

Why post the question if you dont want to claim?
Old 25 August 2009, 06:52 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skid11
Why post the question if you dont want to claim?
££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Old 25 August 2009, 03:22 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
mate give up with aplan, bunch of wasters who STILL aint bothered to send out my no claims proof,,,,, seriously worst insurance company i ever delt with and i never even made a claim

they also renewed my policy without my permission AND took payment for it even though i told them i have no interest in renewing my policy 5 months before it ended,, Keith micheals is alot better

In fairness to A-Plan i always ring them up, upon renewal and get a much better deal.
I had to make a claim a couple of years ago, and A-Plan were quite proffessional, but were let down by Groupama the insurance company a bit.
They always ask, never presume i will be staying with them.

Originally Posted by adamj81
To catch who ever is doing this buy one of them cheap an easy to fit DIY cctv systems from B+Q and catch try to catch them out

This is the most important point!! Seriously get something in place! I've fitted 2 cameras and couple of fibre optics around my house inside and out, after a couple of incidents, one being spoiler and scoop just ripped off on one of my older subarus. Garage cleared now, but what a pain in the ***

Hope you get it sorted pal, shop around for good bodyshops, as prices can vary significantly