ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

White smoke

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2009, 11:46 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke

Ok i posted a thread on here a month ago about my subaru 2001 wrx bugeye giving off white smoke out the exhaust, now it doesnt do it all the time, but i took it out today for a little run as it has not been out for a month and after the short run when i got back home i could smell that plastic burning smell again and noticed some whitish smoke coming from my bonnet scoop, i popped the bonnet and it was coming from around my turbo, and i was getting some smoke coming from my exhaust to, im not losing any water or oil, so does this mean my turbo is on its way out, car didnt seem to have much pull neither. Any ideas guys. If it is the turbo, what one is it on the bugeye wrx, is it the tdo4 and if so can i just bolt it on and off i go. If i decided to got for a bigger one like a td05 if i bolt that on would i then need it remapped. And last but not least is it true that you need to have your car plugged in to a machine to reset the ecu, ive got 2 green plugs and 1 black one under my dash which someone said you connect them together to reset the ecu but like i say i only have 1 black and 2 green. Any help would be great guys
Old 23 August 2009, 12:14 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like your turbo is goosed. The standard turbo on those is the TD04L. You should just be able to swap for another TD04L no problem. I'd drop your oil and water and change oil filter to be on the safe side.

If you swap for a bigger turbo then it will need mapping. The plugs dont reset the ecu but they are used to get engine codes.

best way to reset an ECU is to disconnect the battery for a couple of hours or better overnight if you can.

HTH Daz
Old 23 August 2009, 12:28 AM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for the advice m8