Sponsored by:

moving up the scooby ladder

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2009, 10:04 AM
pcressie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving up the scooby ladder

I bought my standard MY2000 turbo last year and have loved owning. But I now fancy moving up the scooby ladder and getting a model with a bit more power.I need to have 4 doors as I have a son and a second due in two weeks I fancy a PPP300 bug eye. What I want to know is whats the difference between this model and the bug eye STI WRX are these all imports? Also could you tell me what to watch out for when looking at buying one, what will the running costs be like compared to my classic and whats a fair price to pay for one

Cheers

Last edited by pcressie; 17 August 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 17 August 2009, 11:47 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Blob WRX STI comes in 2 forms...both 2L.

Technically they're all imports, but Subaru UK market one (UK car), and Importers like Litchfields etc market both. (Parallel Imports (Euro spec) and JDM or Grey imports)

The UK cars (and Euro's) run 264bhp and the JDM model's runs closer to 300bhp.

The PPP is a modification for the UK car only, taking the bhp to 305bhp (claimed).

To look at they are vertually identical, most of the differences are engine/tranmision based (JDM has twin scroll turbo giving the higher power and torque, equal length headers, 5 speed box not 6, quicker stearing rack etc etc)

Cost of running? well the STI's are a 22-25mpg car (not 30 like the WRX), Tyres are more expensive (especially if you have the 18" prodrive rims), JDM STI's are historically more expenxive to insure but there are a few companies out there who are STI friendly.

Last edited by scooby L; 17 August 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 17 August 2009, 12:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDM new age blobs have a 6 speed gearbox, a-dccd, quick rack steering, auto ic spray and several other upgrades over the uk cars (and better components in the gearbox/engines) and cost pretty much the same to insure as a uk car.
Finding a good one on the other hand that hasn't been brought into the country by the likes of ktc (normally crash and badly repaired ones) is a little more difficult, though there are a few good ones floating around and some have much cheaper road tax than uk sti's which is a bonus. Overall a far nicer/better car

Tony
Old 17 August 2009, 04:12 PM
pcressie
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys. I wrote my thread wrong and put blob instead of bug eye had just been reading a blob eye thread