Sponsored by:

Is it snowin yet??

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2009, 11:05 PM
bodgeit
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it snowin yet??

ER! OK then,I want some winter tyres fer some 16 inch rims! Anybody in the mood to talk "winter tyres?" I only ask coz nows the time to buy em, as opposed to the first cold snap after the price has gone up!!!

Carefully removes the pin and quietley walks away!
Old 17 August 2009, 01:51 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I would agree, now is a good time to buy! I'm already planning my first ski trip

You don't actually want to fit them till mid Oct to mid Nov depending on what the weather does, but if you already have them on a 2nd set of rims, you can quickly swap them when it gets cold!

I'm currently on Pirelli Sottozero's and have been very impressed, particularly given the massive 235/50R17 profile, and for a winter tyre, they are very quiet - by far the best I've fitted. Have also tried Goodyears winter offering and was also very happy, Michelin Pilot Alpin's were not so good, but I hear the newer generation tyres are much improved.

For UK use, I'd recommend going for a high speed sport tyre as the winters are not really so hard. You want cold/wet weather performance as opposed to snow!
Old 17 August 2009, 02:55 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I had Nokian WR 215/40/17 on my classic and they are absolutely fantastic tyres.

you can get em from here. tyres online @ mytyres.co.uk: cheap passenger tyres, summer tyres, winter tyres and tyre dealer
Old 18 August 2009, 03:35 AM
bodgeit
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big brands are better quality without a doubt but fer the milage I do in mi car the cheaper ones will be fine, they'll be fitted to some spare rims so I wont use them untill I have to so tyre noise wont be an issue either. Thanks fer the advice chaps!!!!