ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Donnington Info

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2001, 12:29 AM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm posting here in case Stef doesn't get the Trackday posting today.

I haven't had any info through re the Track Day, and I need to know fundamentals like what time do we have to be there, where on the circuit, what do I need to bring?

Can anyone help, and is anyone else in the same boat re Dono info?

Cheers,
Nick
Old 16 February 2001, 12:43 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Hey Nick

I haven't received any info either, especially the papers you need to read and sign before you get there.

As for arrival time, apparently, hope your sitting down?? Sign in time is like 08:30 with a briefing at 09:00 So I'm told.

See you there.

Is the Convoy still on Blowdog??

M
Old 16 February 2001, 01:09 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Got an email this morning with a word document containing instructions and indemnity form.

Rich.

The main part:

IMPORTANT: IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU BRING YOUR DRIVING LICENCE TO THE CIRCUIT AS YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE CIRCUIT UNTIL YOU HAVE SHOWN IT AT REGISTRATION

Days timetable (approx)

08:00 – 08:45 Arrival at Donington. Registration and completion of Indemnity Forms (attached) will take place in the office in the control tower. First-timers/novices (newbies!) will be issued with a sticker identifying them as such.

08:45 - 09:00 Drivers Briefing by SIDC Instructors & Clerk of the Course.
The briefing will be very thorough and cover all aspects of safety, overtaking preocedures and track etiquette.
NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED ONTO THE CIRCUIT UNTIL THEY HAVE RECEIVED A DRIVERS BRIEFING – PLEASE TRY TO ARRIVE ON TIME SO ONLY ONE BRIEFING IS NECESSARY.

09:00 - 09:30 Circuit open to experienced track drivers (oldies!) ONLY.
Newbies are advised to go out with oldies at this point so they get a chance to see the circuit before having to drive on it. This session will also help prepare the surface of the track, getting rid of any dust, moisture, etc, making it safer.
09:30 - 10:00 Circuit open to newbies ONLY.
This session is to help newbies become acclimatised to the circuit in their own car without the pressure of lots of faster cars around. Instructors and oldies will also be able to ride with you and offer advice. Approximately half-way through the session, several fast cars (bogeys!) will join the track to help the newbies practice the overtaking procedure. They will be identified by their main headlights being illuminated and will catch each car in turn (in theory!), sitting behind it until a safe overtaking place is reached. Once the newbie has demonstrated the correct procedure of indicating, moving to the right and slowing dowm, the bogey will pass and move onto the next car.
10:00 - 12:30 Track Open to all Cars.
Unlimited track session & tuition starts if given o.k. by the Organiser and Marshalls
12.30 - 13.30 Track Closed for Lunch.
13:30 - 16.30 Track Open to all Cars.

[This message has been edited by Rich_R (edited 16 February 2001).]
Old 16 February 2001, 01:14 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

and the rest...

Tracktime:

Ø 5-6 laps of the circuit will probably be enough for both car and driver at any one time before either (or both) need a break, therefore the problem of someone ‘staying out all day’ won’t arise
Ø if you should have a problem with your car either on the track or just before going on, you’ll have no worries about missing a scheduled session
Ø with a maximum of 32 cars allowed on the track at any one time it is very unlikely there will be any queuing (except maybe first thing in the morning)
Ø the day will be more relaxed and enjoyable as all drivers know they will have complete freedom to join and exit the circuit whenever they wish – ultimately offering unlimited tracktime

Tuition: Pofessional ARDS instructors) will be available all day to give individual advice and tuition if required. They will be introduced during ther drivers briefing.

Overtaking: All normal overtaking is to take place on the LEFT and on the straights only
Anyone seen overtaking on the right, or ‘diving down the inside’ into corners will be reminded that this is not allowed by the Organiser, Instructors, or the Chief Marshall. If you persist in ignoring this you will be black flagged and asked to leave.

Track Etiquette: Please be aware of any cars that may be behind you (as well as the ones in front!). If you see a car behind, indicate and move to the right when it’s safe to do so and allow the quicker car past. Under no circumstances will racing be tolerated. If two or more cars are seen to be racing, those drivers will be reminded that this is not allowed by either the Organiser, Instructors, or the Chief Marshall. If you persist in ignoring this you will be black flagged and asked to leave.

Noise Regs The limit for the day is 100db. Please try and make sure your car does not exceed this limit as you may be black flagged and asked to quieten the car before being allowed to continue.

Scrutineering: There will be NO scrutineering carried out by Donington officials. It is the sole responsibility of the owners themselves to ensure their car is in a suitable trackworthy condition.

Wristbands: No one will be allowed on the circuit without a wristband and they will only be issued after the Indemnity forms have been completed. Drivers and passengers will have different colour wristbands.

Marshalling: The day will be fully marshalled by the Donington marshalls. They will be responsible for allowing all drivers onto the circuit, ensuring the number of cars on the circuit does not exceed the circuit maximum (32), as well as making sure all cars on the circuit are in a trackworthy condition. Any cars considered unsuitable will be black flagged and asked to return to the paddock to make any necessary repairs.

Helmets: All drivers and passengers will not be allowed on the circuit without a helmet (Approved safety standard BSI 6658 Type A). Helmets will NOT be available for hire, so please ensure you bring your own.

No of cars: The maximum number of cars allowed on the circuit at any one time will be 32. From the experience of the previous SIDC events this is only likely to be reached first thing in the morning and after lunch. It is worth noting that as cars are constantly entering and leaving the circuit you will not be driving in a large group, but you won’t appear to be the only car on the circuit either.

Track Support: The SIDC is in the enviable position of having it’s own Track Support Unit, run in asscociation with TYRES NORTHAMPTON. This will be present at all SIDC events throughout the year, offering a comprehensive service; helping out if you have a mechanical problem, changing brake pads, and even being able to supply, fit and balance a complete new set of tyres.
You can pre-order tyres for them to fit on the day by ringing Mark on 01604 588599.

Petrol: SUL is available from the garage in the paddock, If this is closed, the nearest garage selling SUL is the service station at J23a of the M1, approx 5 mins away, NUL is available from here, and also the garage at East Midlands Airport which is on the way to the motorway.

Insurance: The SIDC can now offer trackday insurance through Eggar Lawson. Costs vary depending on cover, but start from £55 for £6000 'On Event Accidental Damage' Cover . Personal Accident cover (£10 per person per day) is also available. Please contact Nick on 0115 9415255.

Photographer: Professional photographer Josh Levy, will be present on the day. Please complete a form at registration to help identify your car so that proofs can be sent out to you. There is no charge for this service, but any pictures you order will be chargeable.

Late Arrivals: Please register with Stef and Donington members of staff, who will give you your wristbands and arrange a drivers briefing and sighting laps for you.

Indemnity Forms: Please complete both the SIDC and Donington Park indemnity forms before you arrive, as this will speed up the signing on process considerably. If you need more copies for second drivers and passengers, please photocopy as many times as necessary.
Old 16 February 2001, 02:25 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

how many newbies ae there...
Old 16 February 2001, 04:13 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

OOOOOOOPPPPPAAAAAAALLLLLAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Thanks Rich. Didn't get the e-mail but I guess I'll just sign some papers when I get there, hopefully there will be extra's.

As for Newbie, yes I am to Donington, but not to Track Days. Done my fair share in Porche's and the last few years in the excellent RS200

See you there

Mark
Old 16 February 2001, 04:23 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Whoops I mean Porsche's , not the things stuck on your house.

M
Old 16 February 2001, 08:47 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sorry Guys.
There's been bit of an upheaval in the club which has meant the packs weren't sent out until today. Thanks to Rich for posting the info, and you can complete the forms on the day.
I can only apologise, and assure you that it won't happen again.
Regards.

Stef.