Oil Leak, Warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2009, 05:56 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak, Warrenty?

Hi All,

Had the clutch done in my 2006 STI about 4 - 5 week ago, cost wrong side of £900, but I wasnt paying it all.
It was done at a main dealer etc.
I noticed a smell of gearbox oil everytime it got hot and the rad fan kicked in.
They looked at it last week and said the box was over filled at the time and some was in the belly pan sponge so needed cleaning out, which they did and asked to see it a week after.
I took it this week and now they say a drive shaft oil seal is leaking and want £200 to fix it.
Now the workshop manuals says they should fit new ones when doing the clutch, so either they did and ripped it when putting back together or didnt change it. Am I rigt to claim its their fault, their bill?
Old 20 July 2009, 06:40 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the_big_1
Hi All,

Had the clutch done in my 2006 STI about 4 - 5 week ago, cost wrong side of £900, but I wasnt paying it all.
It was done at a main dealer etc.
I noticed a smell of gearbox oil everytime it got hot and the rad fan kicked in.
They looked at it last week and said the box was over filled at the time and some was in the belly pan sponge so needed cleaning out, which they did and asked to see it a week after.
I took it this week and now they say a drive shaft oil seal is leaking and want £200 to fix it.
Now the workshop manuals says they should fit new ones when doing the clutch, so either they did and ripped it when putting back together or didnt change it. Am I rigt to claim its their fault, their bill?
Definatly go down the route of it wasn't leaking before, if they still play up demand to speak to the brand manager as they won't want to get him involved and hopefully just sort it FOC.
Old 20 July 2009, 07:26 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

I am waiting for the service manager to contact me with an offical quote then I will talk warranty with him. I know they are going to try "it was ok when it left here a month ago sir"
Old 21 July 2009, 05:43 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

I was right, they are deniying anything to do with it, said they dont change the oil seals so its my problem!
Old 22 July 2009, 07:57 PM
the_big_1
Scooby Regular

What do you think I should do, i mean, as far as I am concerned, it wasnt leaking before they did the clutch, now it does, there fault?