de tangoed headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2009, 02:35 PM
pegman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default de tangoed headlights??

hey folks.
i recently bouht a blob eye uk sti and have seen a few cars with the orange parts removed from the headlights. does anyone know where i can have this done or do the headlights need replaced with jdm parts???
Old 19 July 2009, 03:25 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

here you go mate you can do it yourself, you just need to get some bulbs that are silver but flash orange to replace the ones you take out, silvatec are good

How to clear MY04 headlights - photo instructions - NASIOC
Old 19 July 2009, 03:30 PM
Smudge46
Scooby Regular

It's easy you just do it yourself. You just have to warm up the sealent so you can prise the unit apart. Theres a link to a step by step guide below. I heated mine up in the oven, allthough the guy in the guide advises against it. As long as you don't put it on to high and check every few mins you'll be fine. A tip i'd give you is to ensure you heat the unit up enough. You'll know if you have because the unit will prise apart easily because the mastic will be nice and warm. If it's not warm enough it can be tough and you end up making a mess of your light by trying to prise it apart. If warm enough you should be able to prise it apart with just your hands, if you start using screw drivers it makes a mess.
The other point as well is to ensure you remove all of the screws, you might find one hiding under a bit of foam.
I did mine because i bought a drivers side light off ebay because mine was knackered. The one off ebay was detangoed so i just bought it and detangoed my other one. When i got the one off ebay he obviously hadn't heated it up enough cause you could clearly see where he had been prising it apart. Also he missed one of the screws which was attached to the silver part inside the unit. Because he'd missed it he broke the silver part inside when he prised it apart so I had to undo it and replace with the one from my broken light.
I had no problems doing my unit. Like i said I put it in the oven waited till it was very warm and it came apart no problems and once i'd finished you couldn't tell any difference from before (exept the de tango). it does look better as you'll see from the link.

Good look anyway.

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...eadlights.html
Old 19 July 2009, 03:35 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

10 mins at 100 degrees should do it ....... get yourself some extra sealant and make sure that the unit is fully sealed when you put it back together to stop moisture and water getting in
Old 19 July 2009, 05:47 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Just done mine mate ! It was a piece of cake and a cheap effective mod. Search SN for a thread which talks you through it !