ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

UK / JAP Model Differences

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2002, 09:55 PM
Dr Jones
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've finally made up my mind to get myself an Impreza - thinking of importing from Japan via auction only thing is when it comes to the jap models I don't know how they differ from the UK models bar what is on the SIDC site - anyone know where I can find a definative guide??

Other thing is - I've been warned to look out for lack of undersealing on jap imports - do jap imprezas have it or not????
Old 07 March 2002, 09:57 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

No, Japanese (read "grey" imports) have no rustproofing to euro standards. There is a book available by a guy called Dave Thornton that tells you how to buy a grey import and what to look out for.
Old 07 March 2002, 10:01 PM
Dr Jones
Scooby Newbie

Question

Does that mean none at all or just like waxoyl instead of heavy underseal?
Old 08 March 2002, 09:11 PM
Reg P
Scooby Regular

I have just bought a Jap Import 02, the differences I can see are as follows,

Positives:- 250BHP, black back windows, rear wiper, STi 7 lights, cheaper price than standard UK

Negatives 16" wheels,2 Pot calipers,undersealing, moderate stereo.

I have had mine a fortnight and have already sorted the wheels and stereo, I am going to get the car properly undersealed before next winter (shouldn't be too expensive), so I don't see an issue. I had a 95 WRX before that and that was great, never let me down so I'm happy. I got mine from Charlesworths in Nottingham and they gave me a good price for my old car. Only other thing, I think the insurance might be slightly higher, but you get more power so it's not the end of the world!! I'm sure other people have opinions on this but I think it's just personal preference.
Old 09 March 2002, 01:39 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that Jap import cars were designed to be run on 100RON unleaded petrol which isn't available in the UK. We have 97RON which is the super unleaded and 95RON which is the unleaded. There is currently a 10 pence per litre difference between the two in the east midlands.

This undoubtably means you will never get the maximum quoted power output from your Jap import.

however I run mine mine on 95RON with no problems and it still makes me smile from ear to ear EVERY day I get in it...