Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie interested in using a classic STI as everyday car.

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2009, 10:47 PM
JapFever
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie interested in using a classic STI as everyday car.

I know its not exactly a deep subject, but I don't know anyone who owns a Subaru to ask this stuff.

Im looking for something I can use everyday but still shine up for shows etc (suggestions welcome, temped by a Beams Altezza aswell). Ive tried Evo 4s but I just cant get comfy, then I tried a couple of Type R V4s and they fit me great. Ive been told the gearing of the 4door Type RA makes them a bit of a screamer on the motorway.

Are the 2door Type R any better? I would only want to do 80 tops but I would like to do to shows a few miles away sometimes (plus Santa Pod).

Also, Im due to check out another Type R from down south. If I ended up buying it, would it be OK to use Tescos 99 for the 160 mile drive back before getting it mapped for our fuel?

Also, what kind of engine noises should I be listening for, like bottom end knock etc. Could someone describe what the sound's are like and where to hear them best.

cheers for hearing me out guys
Old 16 July 2009, 08:24 AM
gc8-r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi and welcome.
the g/box in the ra and type-r are one and the same,but dont let that put you off.
the r is a very good car,one thing the v4 cant be re-mapped so make sure it has a uprated ecu.,or you will have to get one and there not cheap!!.
if it has been changed it will be fine on tesco 99,but ask for recipets! of who mapped it.
as for shows and the pod,it will be fine,there are a good car and lots of fun.
just dont let your head rule your heart,find a good clean model..
and service's is a must,make sure it has been regualy done.