Sponsored by:

Subaru on driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2009, 12:58 PM
aj_erst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru on driveway?

First of all hi to everyone on here Im soon to be purchasing a WRX STI when I find a nice one, Its going to be used as an everyday car and as my garage is full, will have to be parked on my driveway overnight which can be seen from the main road, do other people on here park their imprezas etc on the driveway with no probs or do most people lock them away for fear of them being stolen. I know crime is worse in differnent areas etc but just wanted to get a general idea of whether its a good idea or not
Old 13 July 2009, 01:13 PM
FLD_WILLIS
Scooby Regular

Ours is kept on the driveway in South Manchester, not a bad area by any means, but there has been a fair few car thefts and jackings in the last 2 years. Our main problem is the cats scratching it or next doors kids dinging the door when they're getting out of their school-run-bus. Just make sure you've got a good alarm on your house and don't leave the keys anywhere in view... Oh and keep something suitably heavy close to hand just in case anyone does have a go.
Old 13 July 2009, 01:55 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mine is kept on my drive, but after an attempted robbery by 3 guys kicking my front door in while i was in bed i now have extra security..cctv...disclok..steel post behind my car aswell as the cat 1 alarm & immob and tracker.
Old 13 July 2009, 02:03 PM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

I got wireless cams on mine you can get from maplin, my car is parked on the drive, within 25 ft of my home pc, it has 2 cams inside 1 outside, it auto records with ir, then saves on my hardrive, under 100£ i do have a contact who can supply and fit for a little more, as mine i did myself, upto 4 cameras
Old 13 July 2009, 02:43 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Hi welcome aboard - I have parked both my Imprezas on my "drive" outside my bay window, this pne has been OK for 4 months, usual immob and steering wheel lock + security lights. My old WRX Sti PPP was usually parked in the area where I now reverse into to get out and a Numpty did try to get inside the car there, tried pulling/prising at the pillar thinking it was a door "frame" then eventually broke the end of his/her screwdriver off in the gap between the glass and the door pillar. Just put what you can on the car to make em go elsewhere, my area is relativley quiet too !!! And remember "Don't have nightmares"
Old 13 July 2009, 02:49 PM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

if your that worried take a wheel of it end of the matter
Old 13 July 2009, 03:04 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I should fit a tracker if it hasn't already-it'll help your insurance premium as well
Old 13 July 2009, 04:06 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Touch wood I have never had a problem, We have at least one of the Imprezas on the drive every night, sometimes two.
Just about all thefts of Imprezas are with keys, My main concern is keeping the house secure so no-one can get in to get the keys.
Old 13 July 2009, 05:51 PM
FLD_WILLIS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerwrx
mine is kept on my drive, but after an attempted robbery by 3 guys kicking my front door in while i was in bed i now have extra security..cctv...disclok..steel post behind my car aswell as the cat 1 alarm & immob and tracker.

DiscLok + 1!!!

Great bit of kit, well worth the money.
Old 13 July 2009, 05:58 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

i had some ******* in my back the other night luckily they would have tu move to cars to get the scoob out always lock your doors and hide your keys they never damaged my scoob but where after keys as i had some nice items outside worth quite a lot off money didnt touch them baseball bat what is needed or a sh..t.r
Old 13 July 2009, 06:10 PM
firebug
Scooby Regular

the lad i bought mine off came out 1 morning to find the bonnet , spoiler and a headlight missing. theiving little ***!! its a classic with alarm , immobiliser and tracker. i bought it and made some steel panel gates that i close, padlock then roll the car upto so they cant get to the front of it and rip the grill off to open the bonnet like they did when he had it. i also put a steering lock on it, paranoid ....maybe, but i sleep well at night, with a metal bar at arms reach so if i do hear the alarm goin off or someones in the house i can smash their thieving little fingers to bits so they wont do it again.
Old 13 July 2009, 06:18 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Mines has a cat1 alarm, in a locked garage, behind seven foot barbed wire encrusted gates locked, 3 dogs, 3 cats and a boat load of nosey neighbours all round
Old 13 July 2009, 06:28 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobzie
if your that worried take a wheel of it end of the matter
Would they not just fit the spare ????!!!

like the idea off the steel post on the driveway but knowing my luck I would come out one morning forgett all about and well you can guess the rest !!!!
Old 13 July 2009, 06:32 PM
hannogo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
I should fit a tracker if it hasn't already-it'll help your insurance premium as well
Agree,but do you want it back after a skroats fukced with it?
Old 13 July 2009, 06:36 PM
hannogo
Scooby Regular

Also, This is the second one,and touch wood not had any probs,but me gaff is a no go area once me alarm is on and if they dont play golf they better learn quick.Hello!have you met number 9?????
Old 13 July 2009, 07:10 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matttp1
Mines has a cat1 alarm, in a locked garage, behind seven foot barbed wire encrusted gates locked, 3 dogs, 3 cats and a boat load of nosey neighbours all round
Damn and I thought I was paranoid!
Old 13 July 2009, 07:14 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

I leave mine on the driveway, it was £20 cheaper to insure it being parked on the driveway than in the garage
Old 13 July 2009, 07:16 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
Not in all cases. Tracker was not required in my latest policy and no discount was offered even though I have the standard fit RAC Trackstar.
Old 13 July 2009, 07:21 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

All of mine(3) are parked on the drive, Mind you I live in the middle of no where
Old 13 July 2009, 07:46 PM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
Damn and I thought I was paranoid!
Maybe but its now parked on the street, on one of Hulls roughest estates, our lass has it for work
Old 13 July 2009, 07:57 PM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark1983
Not in all cases. Tracker was not required in my latest policy and no discount was offered even though I have the standard fit RAC Trackstar.
if its got a tracker, they at least have the chance to catch the scum in the car.
Old 13 July 2009, 08:01 PM
hannogo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borderlinechris
if its got a tracker, they at least have the chance to catch the scum in the car.
Gordon Brown should be ashamed that he is ScottishHe's a tawt
Old 13 July 2009, 09:18 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

if you have a garage, use it, unless of course your other cars are even more desirable to the local scum. there is a spate of attempted thefts lately throughout the NW, probably to order (shipped abroad) and your tracker if factory fitted has been known to be disabled within 20 mins of the theft. get blackjax fitted, good for peace of mind as most thefts now are with the keys sadly.
Old 13 July 2009, 09:26 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

if you're leaving it on the driveway just do everything you can to deter them. disklok is a good start (don't put the key for it on the same keyring as your car keys - if they do break in for your keys, you're just making it easy!).

I personally wouldn't be happy with the scoob out at night - not just from a theft point of view, but from the chance that some jealous pikey will key it. Mines locked in a garage, with another car parked in from of the garage door. keys from both cars hidden in different places at night, and i keep a 4D-cell Maglite next to my bed in case (heavier than a baseball bat )
Old 13 July 2009, 11:39 PM
aj_erst
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies, its really helped me decide some interesting and worrying comments there to think about. Dont really want to be sleeping with one eye open clutching a maglight every night though
I do have an ir cctv camera pointing onto my drive way and I will get a disklock, hopefully that shoud be enough to deter any wanting thiefs. think I will just have to take my chances and hope for the best
Old 14 July 2009, 12:04 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aj_erst
Dont really want to be sleeping with one eye open clutching a maglight every night though

Its a torch so useful for a range of purposes - just so happens that it'll make a good tool for twatting any potential thieves in the worse case scenario!
Old 14 July 2009, 01:03 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

Well I guess i'll upset the apple cart here, 2005 STI, Blue with Gold wheels (kinda stabds out lol) parked in the street every night. Has been a few months and no probs to report. That said i'm moving soon to a place with a drive.
Old 14 July 2009, 01:12 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matttp1
Maybe but its now parked on the street, on one of Hulls roughest estates, our lass has it for work
Where abouts in Hull? Mines parked just off Preston rd
Old 14 July 2009, 01:14 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C_RHYS
Well I guess i'll upset the apple cart here, 2005 STI, Blue with Gold wheels (kinda stabds out lol) parked in the street every night. Has been a few months and no probs to report. That said i'm moving soon to a place with a drive.
And should the BiB get involved you can say its there in case of power cut or lights failing, Bit harder to explain a bat or a knife next to your bed...
Old 14 July 2009, 09:54 PM
Geoteds2002
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smurf2k
Where abouts in Hull? Mines parked just off Preston rd
now that you've just told the whole world where it's parked it wont be there for much longer......

Quick Reply: Subaru on driveway?