Another newbie thread?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2009, 08:24 PM
Number86
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newbie thread?

Hey guys,

Massive apologies if this is in the wrong area, but I've had a look round and couldn't work out where this should be going!

I've been considering a scooby for a little bit now, but searching around the interwebs and even browsing this forum as a guest hasn't given me much joy, purely due to the amount of different impreza models available. I feel like I'm going to cry!

Can anyone help me or direct me to the best place!

I've got a Leon Cupra R at the moment, and a couple of repair issues with it have pushed my decision to look at other cars. The scoob being a major one, as im sick to bloody death of scrabbling for traction in 1st/2nd and sometimes 3rd even in the dry, so the next car either has to be 4wd or at the very least RWD! But that's not the only reason considering a scooby. But I'm sure you guys know the plus points already

I'd hopefully be looking around something at the 2006 age. I understand from a lot of browsing already, that this is a "hawkeye". My leon currently has about 260BHP and I want a performance jump (excluding 0-60, which i think any scooby would demolish me in, regardless BHP defecit), so I assume anything other than an STI is out? Also, Xenon headlights. I think these are must have of modern cars, as the visibility is brilliant. I take it the STI's have this?

The other main questions are:

1) Servicing/running costs. What are they like? I literally have nothing to go on. Are the scoobies reliable? Does the turbo have a fairly limited life, can I expect big bills etc? Obviously looking for UNBIASED information here, but I know what any forum is like
I guess, on this. I'm aware brakes and fuel will be fairly high, but should I be expecting random things to go pop and costing me £1000 to fix?

2) Modding. I'd never been interested in huge mods. But as said above, I'd like a decent power hike from my current car. What could I expect out of a remap, and possibly a slightly meatier exhaust of a hawkeye sti? I'm hoping 350bhp is reasonable, without other mods like FMIC's and uprated clutches etc??

Thank you VERY much for any info you can provide guys, and mods if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it!
Old 06 June 2009, 11:29 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005 Blob eye : WRX with 225BHP 20k miles for 8k
WRX PPP with 265 BHP 20k for about 9k
There is also a UK 300 with various STi upgrades about and PPP
STi 265 BHP 30k for about 10k
STi PPP 305 BHP 30k about 10k to but lots have been fettled with
2006 Hawk Eye: 2.5l with twin overhead cams loses it's trade mark exhaust note but you get more capacity to modify if thats your bag
All the stats are as above in reality (cue somebody to fill in the blanks) Many say the 2.0l is more responsive under foot but I have not driven one. You can add another G to all the prices though. Pistonheads has loads....

You could of course go with the Wagon in both guises for maximum stealth.....like me!

This will be a thread that you could write all day on and its has been!!! This is a VERY quick summary for you.
Old 09 June 2009, 11:32 AM
Number86
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2.5 hawkeye doesn't have the scooby burble? I thought it was only the brand new shopping trolley that lost that?

I noticed a few around with the 270ish bhp and the PPP ones. My question really is 350+ acheivable without screwing around too much (2.5l)?