Sponsored by:

Subaru Damaged my wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2009, 06:55 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subaru Damaged my wheels...

Put my Impreza in for an MOT the other week and had 2 new tyres fitted by them. Got the car back and then went on holiday for a week.

Went for a drive today and then gave it a dam good clean....the midge massacre was impressive.....to discover a very clean and symmetrical score around the rim of the two alloys I had new tyres fitted to (see pics)

These were not there before and this is the first time I have had new tyres fitted. Is this the sort of damage you can expect from fitting new tyres improperly?

VERY MAD! Any advice?

Old 06 June 2009, 06:58 PM
adehook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes mate, faulty fitting
Old 06 June 2009, 07:01 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

So if I take this back to them they'll recognize it as being their fault...or should do!
Old 06 June 2009, 07:04 PM
adehook
Scooby Regular

my guess is they already knew they done it.

they should do, but wouldn't have much hope of them refurbing them for you
Old 06 June 2009, 07:11 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

So little point in taking them back really. I'll call them and see what they have to say.

Anyone had any experience of this or know what it costs for a good refurb (in glasgow)
Old 06 June 2009, 08:20 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the EXACT same thing happen to my focus recently. Need to take it back.

They ARE going to pay for a refurb or im going to drive every customer they ever got away and burn the ****ers down.

Not gonna put up with wanking tossers ****ing up my wheels....

Im really pissed off too... (if you couldnt tell)..
Old 06 June 2009, 10:53 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

I need to get as mad as you....might get a new car out of them!!!

Let me know how you get on. Knock em dead son.....!
Old 06 June 2009, 11:26 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

do they fit tyres on site or do they sub them out? if they sub it out then they may have thought they were already there when the car came back.
Old 07 June 2009, 08:51 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say that you really don't have a hope of getting them to fix your alloys unless you pick up any damage done by them straight after your service, its very hard to prove, especially after another week.
Something similar happened to me back in 2000 when I took my brand new scoob in for a service at Monty's in sheffield, they damaged one of the skirts, then tried to blame me, saying it had been done whilst driving over the snake pass the fact was that it was over a jacking point and vertical, road damage would be horizontal.
They reluctantly (very reluctantly) replaced it.

Tony
Old 07 June 2009, 09:16 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

id say a phone call to said garage and a little chat with the manager(miss out all service dept staff as they will fob you off)
explain what you had done and when and why its took xxx to contact them,
If and when they say sod off tell them you will be stood on their forecourt every Saturday and Sunday until you get a result, they may laugh at you at first and call your bluff but once you turn up(with others if need be) then they tend to take you more serious and even more so after a hour or so,
it works I had issues with a Mitsubishi(sp) dealer once, claimed he could do nothing, I promptly parked the sick car across the workshop entrance, after 20 mins it was getting attention, I also rang the local rag who rang said garage and asked if they can send a photographer, within the hour it was sorted, If they know your serious they take you serious.
Old 07 June 2009, 10:31 AM
Sti-Tom
Scooby Regular

i would defo go back to them and do all the above if you dont get any joy!!

good luck
Old 07 June 2009, 11:04 AM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Donz144 - sent u PM as Glasgow based also and few decent places around.
Old 07 June 2009, 12:01 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

My advise is to pop back down and see them, I'm a workshop manager for a bmw workshop and yes theese things do happen its far better for the dealer to have been up front with you at least you would have maintained trust and accepted the fact that it will be put right. The mark is caused by having no protector/worn protector on the tyre machine or incorrect adjustment. Modern tyres and rims can be a pain in the butt to fit but with care they are no problem.
I don't see the time frame much of a problem you haven't had the tyres swapped in that given time so I would hold my hands up and get them fixed for you.

Dean
Old 07 June 2009, 01:22 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Cheams motors curbed one of my wheels and payed for the refurb after i noticed when i got home from picking it up
Old 07 June 2009, 07:05 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Right im ready for a show down now!! I'll get back to you tomorrow and let you know the outcome.
Old 07 June 2009, 08:00 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down I spent

£800 on new wheels for a calibra I used to own then spent £440 on new tyres to be fitted by a tyre fitting place opposite Hillsborough they assure me they would be fitted to the brand new wheels with no damage. I went back a week later after giving the a damn good clean cause they had done the exact same thing to 3 of them
They wouldn't fix it so I went home made up huge card board signs and sat outside the place telling everyone who came by and showed an interest what had happened
They called the coppers who couldn't move me cause I wasn't on his property but the sarge managed to convince the manager to pay for all 4 to be done so the colour was the same
RESULT

Never ever been back to the tyre place or any other of its branches but needless to say its name has summit to do with Snoopy the cartoon character
Old 07 June 2009, 08:52 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

its where the foot of the machine was not properly positioned and when they pushed the top bead down the foot made contact whith the wheel under the pressure point .

id ring em and say . as a kerb would not make such a fine mark . and if its the first set of tyres . they should pay imo
Old 07 June 2009, 08:58 PM
radboy69
Scooby Regular

had 2 new tyers replaced on my old 206 gti 180 at a local garage and they let the 18yo female apprentice do it and when i got the car back it looked as tho sum1 had taken a hammer and chisel to both wheels, the garage did refurb both wheels but it started to peel of a year later.
Old 07 June 2009, 09:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by M444GY
its where the foot of the machine was not properly positioned and when they pushed the top bead down the foot made contact whith the wheel under the pressure point .

id ring em and say . as a kerb would not make such a fine mark . and if its the first set of tyres . they should pay imo
I agree; usually the lever that clamps the arm pulls the foot clear of the rim a few mm, So you just set it against the wheel, pull the lever and its good to go.

I guess the wheel wasn't clamped or slipped whilst the tyre was being fitted making the rim contact the foot of the arm. Probably due to the wheel clamps on the machine being worn out or full of crud.
Old 08 June 2009, 08:49 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I'd agree in talking to the manager - chances are they got the garage monkey to fit the tyres, and he messed it up, but didnt tell anyone and just stuck the wheels back on the car, so they probably dont know it happened.

It should be quite easy to prove if you take off one of the wheels and put it on the machine as the clamp should line up with the damage, and as its only been a couple of weeks they cant say that you have gone somewhere else and had other tyres fitted in the meantime.
Old 08 June 2009, 01:55 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Gave them a call and they said no problem (!) bring it down to us.
So off I go!
Old 08 June 2009, 02:51 PM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Well well well....surprising as it may seem they have admitted liability!! I quote "no argument there" he said!

So he's ordering the paint in for them. But the question now is do I let them do it or take the paint to someone who really knows what there doing? I have a good friend who excels at detailing etc so maybe I should go to him.

Will it not be the case that subaru will give it a go and within a year the paint will peel? I can just imagine the ball ache!!
Old 08 June 2009, 03:50 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

yes im worried about the same. Perhaps just get them refurbished and send them the bill.