Sponsored by:

WRX Sticker removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2009, 05:00 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Sticker removal?

How hard is it to remove the WRX sticker on the boot lid?

Is it best left to a bodyshop i.e needs painting?
Old 06 June 2009, 05:30 PM
jak_daniels
Scooby Regular

use a hairdryer to soften the glue at the back of it, then slowly strat peeling while still applying heat, and if you got one use a vevry very very sharp stanley knife blade at a very accute angle to start it off.
Old 06 June 2009, 05:41 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hello, I've removed my WRX badge and WRX stickers that used to be on my cars boot and it's not that difficult really.
The badge can be abit of a pain, usually because it's been on there since the car was made (almost 13 years in my cars case). I did it on a nice day and used a hair dryer (lots of heat) and gently used a small screwdriver to leaver the badge up once the adhesive was extremely soft underneath. Now anytime you go near your car with a screwdriver or other metal tool there is the potential to damage the paint so I'd try using just your nails at first to do this but if it's really stubborn then use the screwdriver to get it to start lifting. My badge's X broke off first and then the WR came off easily but you need to get the cars body so hot (I could not stand to touch mine) using the hairdryer. After you have the badge off theres usually still quite alot of black adhesive left on the boot, again use the hairdryer to heat this up alot and then using your fingers push the black adhesive in all directions. It will roll up and come off in small peices and takes a while to get it all off. Once your left with only really small peices of the black adhesive and usually still an outline of the badges shape you will need a good quality T-Cut to help remove all this and make the paint work shine again. After it's all gone using the T-Cut you should wax it to protect the paints finish and job done. :-)
The stickers can be even more bother I found. My large WRX sticker came off quite cleanly, just heated it up alot with a hairdryer and used my finger nails to peel the edges up and removed in large strips. Then T-Cut, waxed & polished. Looks great, but I've got a small (1.5"x1.5") "FujiSubaru" dealer sticker on the corner of my boot from when the car was new. It's cracked and faded from sun/weather exposure and I've only been able to remove half of it. Tried my above technique of heating and using my nails but it did take a small piece of paint with this one so I'm going to have to use a buffer gently on it or take it to the painters. Eitherway most stickers come off very easily and look great afterwards, I've de-badged all my previous 7 cars and the smooth finish without stickers always looks best I think. Hope I've helped my friend.
Old 06 June 2009, 05:56 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

WOW!!
Now that was a reply!!
Cheers for that...not too worried bout the stickers on the side..just the WRX on the boot..it's a bit OTT for my liking.
Is there any danger of lifiting paint and/or laquer when heating and pickin it off?
Old 06 June 2009, 06:40 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

It should be pretty safe with the above mentioned technique but there will always be a small chance that it might take a small peice of paint/Lacquer with it. Every car that I have done this on (including removing all the badges & rubber side strips on a Micra, Golf, Rover, Mondeo, Corsa and Ibiza) has looked great afterwards with no paint/lacquer damage. Just heat it up alot, pull at its edges with your fingers and you should feel it start to lift then keep the heat on it as you try to lift it up more. If your careful it should be fine my friend.
Old 06 June 2009, 07:04 PM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Many thanks.

Ryan