Sponsored by:

scooby versus evo

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 10:29 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scooby versus evo

I have had 4 scoobys now and am enjoying my o4 wagon at the moment,I have never owned an evo and am currently thinking about if to get one.
whats your thoughts/experience ??
Old 05 June 2009, 10:53 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

I like Evo's alot, a friend has one but I've never owned one and as this is a Subaru site, I love my Subaru and I prefer Subarus I'd say get another Subaru my friend. :-)
Old 05 June 2009, 10:56 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Although if you get an Evo, try to get the latest Evo X. Love the front end on that car.

Last edited by GMballistic; 05 June 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05 June 2009, 11:12 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Was looking at Evos before I bought my car... and TBH couldn't afford the Evo9 or 8 lol... so bought the Type-R... Never looked back since!... love my impreza!
Old 05 June 2009, 11:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think evo`s look meaner,aremore elite and are more desirable.

its all down to £££3,evos are expensive to buy and run compared to our scoobs
Old 05 June 2009, 11:22 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Evo V and VI, after that they started to look boring

Every review I've read concludes that the Evo is a great car, very fast and certainly faster than scoobys point to point and on track, but the scooby is a better all round car and easier to live with
Old 05 June 2009, 11:23 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Driven an evo 9 390 bhp no soul felt dead been to look and drive evo x 360 to replace current car, again felt dead no feel for it so will be keeping the 08 sti.Maybe its me or maybe its the car,no harm in looking or keeping your mind open to something different.
Old 05 June 2009, 11:33 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

Default scooby

Yes i love scoobys, thats why I have just bought my fourth one, but I have never owned an evo , and was looking at evo 8's, just wandered what other people thought of these cars , I have thought of trying one for a bit. But am I wasting my money and allways come back to the scoobs?
Old 05 June 2009, 11:45 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

You only live once so if you fancy one go and get one. If you dont like it after a while sell it and get another subaru, just my opinion. Jay
Old 05 June 2009, 11:47 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

If it's performance you want then the Evo will probably be the better option.
Is your 04 wagon modded? If not then why not change it for a modded STI which will be leagues ahead of the Wagon and as good as an Evo 8.
Old 06 June 2009, 09:17 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I've driven an Evo 7 & 8, both were very sharp, much sharper than a classic UK scoob, however I wouldn't want to live with one everyday & my mate with the 8 managed to break the rear diff on his & a secondhand item was £1500. I'm glad the scoob is easier to work on and easier to live with everyday, but its your money & your choice.

Last edited by DJ_Jon; 06 June 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06 June 2009, 09:39 AM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

My mate has an evo and it's a great car but I would miss the Subaru noise. He used to have a Type R and misses the noise big time. I've never heard too many evo's with a decent note.
Old 06 June 2009, 09:56 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I agree they are great cars, but it depends what you want - they are a lot more expensive than Imprezas to buy, and the performance difference for most people wont be that much compared to a lightly modded subaru, so it depends on if you think the extra money is worth it.

Also, a lot of people feel that the evo isnt such a drivers car as it has a lot of computer trickery controlling the car, whereas the impreza is more basic, so you may feel more connected with it than with the evo ( have heard people say the evo will flatter an average driver a lot more than the impreza )

I'd still consider buying an evo, but it would have to be at a decent price, and a late model - most of the early imports I've seen are complete sheds !
Old 09 June 2009, 10:50 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

Default Evo

Drove me scooby down the twisty lanes to see a mate that has an evo 8 and wow what a lovely car, I love them even more, but you are paying 5 k more for an equal age car to my scoob, I wonder if the drive is worth 5K more. got my new rota gra's on and got my new suspension in the garage ready to go to drop the car, so the court is still out on the evo.
Old 13 June 2009, 03:35 PM
WJB
Scooby Regular

I don't think they are much more difficult to live with day to day, mine is a daily driver, petrol/insurance is similar to my old Impreza, Get about 270 miles out of a tank if I'm careful...

Servicing can feel like it's every other day, but if your Impreza is modded, you should be using more regular service intervals anyway.

I wouldn't go back to an Impreza now, unless it was very special.

Anyway, gotta go, my Evo needs a service

Last edited by WJB; 15 June 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: pic
Old 13 June 2009, 05:43 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i personally think evo's have more potential than scoobies and are much more robust. A standard evo can take much more power on a standard block that a standard scooby. you hear more scoobie's going pop then an evo's.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 13 June 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 13 June 2009, 06:19 PM
JAMSCOOB
Scooby Regular

i love the evo 5 its def the meanest looking evo. they did get boring after looking after V i feel until the evo x came out i really do like the front end. but its evo 5 for me love it but i dont know whether i would miss the noise as has already been said
Old 14 June 2009, 01:19 AM
radboy69
Scooby Regular

have to say most jap performance metal looks and goes very well , would have to take a 5 or 6 if given the choice myself
Old 14 June 2009, 11:01 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Like for like models there is a rather large price difference, which isn't worth it IMO. If you buy a scooby for the same price as an evo (applies for new and old) then generally you get a better spec. I think the standard 300bhp STi is what, 4-5k cheaper than the equal Evo from new?

I do, however love Evos, and would own one, just not over a Subaru
Old 14 June 2009, 03:47 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

I had a modded Evo 7 and it was just an awesome car. The only reason I now have an Impreza is because I needed an estate car and couldnt afford an Evo 9 estate.

They are alot more expensive especially to run, they drink petrol like mad even if you are not pushing on. If you dont want all the electric gadgetry then go for an RS version or in my opinion for the ultimate an Evo 9 GT.

If I could I would go back to having an Evo tomorrow!
Old 14 June 2009, 04:16 PM
ruislip
Scooby Regular

i had an evo 6, best car ive owned and ive had 4 scoobies. The only thing that let it down was the fact there was no rumble. It sounded like a ford focus. Awesome cars though and the 6 is easily the best looking in my humble opinion....!
Old 14 June 2009, 04:28 PM
JonnyUK1980
Scooby Regular

Interesting post and some valid opinions, I'm on my first scoob, a 03 wrx and absolutly love driving it, the costs are high but you know that before taking it on. I'll probably be looking to upgrade next summer and only just this morning was looking through pistion heads and could not decide if i wanted to stick with subarus and go for an sti or switch to an evo 8.

Wouldn't it be handy if you could have say an evo for 6 weeks so see what it's like to live with before making your mind up lol
I'm not one for going too crazy round twisty lanes and i doubt i'd ever put any of my cars on a track so i think i'll stick with the subaru family and maybe go for a hawk sti, as the lads say you just cant beat the rumble of a scoob, i think my revolution system was the best thing i've bought for my car so far
Old 14 June 2009, 06:27 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

I've had 7 years of scooby ownership now with;
MY01 WRX for 3 years
MY05 STi Type UK for 2 years
And the RB 320 for 2 years, I test drove an Evo 9 FQ360 last year and have to say that I was slightly disappointed.
The 360 just didn't feel as responsive as the RB & felt sluggish low down, (which reminded me of my old MY01 WRX)
Also the steering just felt a little skittish, with any change in camber it wanted to pull!
It could have been that I needed a bit more time behind the wheel, maybe a weekend test drive. But with the hour I had, it was just not an enjoyable drive.

I do love the look of the Evo 9 though & wouldn't rule out ownership in the futiure.
Old 18 June 2009, 12:09 AM
Donz144
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the Evo 7 and test drove a few examples for around the 16k mark and it didn't add up for me. The steering feel and relay was amazing but the gear box and pedal feels was better in the scoob, not to mention the all important 'note' of the exhaust!

The interior of the Evo is mish mesh of boringness as opposed to just boring in the Scoob, although I got leather and red piping in my WRX wagon which overall just maid more sense given the room and stealth appeal!

In the future though i'd love to own a Evo 8 MR FQ 360 in red with carbon spoiler...!!!
Old 18 June 2009, 12:55 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Holy cow!

Auto Trader UK - MITSUBISHI LANCER EVO 8 MR APPORX 630 BHP, FSH

TX.
Old 18 June 2009, 12:47 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I’ve had 3 imprezas – 1999 uk classic 2003 uk WRX and 2002 STI prodrive – always fancied and EVO and picked one up 3 weeks ago so I’m just about used to it and ready to give my thoughts! EVO is a lightly modded 03 FQ300.

OK, first impressions:

Have to say it looks fantastic, mine is silver and I think it’s purposeful and handsome without being max powerish, inside is a different story – very bland but functional I guess, Speedo is alarmingly small and difficult to see. Indicators are on the wrong side and seats not height adjustable. You need to push the clutch in for it to start which caught me out and I still think is a bit unnecessary. Build quality feels similarly to the Subaru, solid enough tho the Subarus interior and feel is a lot better. Seats are OK but not as comfy and huggy as the STi – I thought the seats in the WRX were awful.

Anyway for the drive:

Performance – bear in mind that my imprezas are standard anf the EVO is running, I think, about 330, there should be a big difference – there is, a massive difference, I now see why the EVOs I played with always seemed to disappear! It’s proper quick, quite linear power delivery compared to Subaru and revs harder and higher, absolutely fantastic. The sound matches the delivery, quite harsh and urgent, just the way I like it. Never believed a car could be too quick, the EVO isn’t quite, but my word it goes. Stupid speeds come up rather quickly and you need to be careful as it’s quite deceptive – I found the sti and wrx were like this aswell but not as extreme

Handling – such is, from what I’ve read, the EVO’s reputation for special handling, I was almost more excited about this than the extra poke. Mmm, I’m really not sure, it IS hugely capable, has massive grip and hurtles round corners, you really feel all the driver aids tho and I’m still not quite used to it. I much prefer the handling of the classic imprezas, maybe it’s not as quick round corners as the EVO (and a lot slower in a straight line) but it’s more predictable and fun IMO.

Brakes are good but not special, slows and stops fine but I’d prefer them sharper considering the power and size of car. I’m sure I can get better pads to improve this.

Costs – fairly silly fuel consumption but in line with the Subaru really, there’s the 4.5k services of course and it will chew up brakes and tires.

In summary, I’m glad I got one, had the itch for ages. It’s mad fast, massively capable in all respects, appears solid and reliable and everything is functional. It does feel quite a large car when driving and it took me a bit of getting used to trusting the handling. I’ve not come across anything that has given it any kind of test (including sti hawk) in a quick dual carriageway blast, but I’m not sure how much fun it is. I watched an elise rapidly disappear in my mirrors before having to scrub of speed with hard braking for next roundabout, I wondered if he was having fun and felt the speed he was doing – not sure I was.

It IS a great car, seriously fast, they are not really dissimilar to imprezas, a bit more focused perhaps but also, and this is hard to quantify, maybe doesn’t feel a special or charismatic. Like everything you have to make up your own mind if you want one enough.

All the best

Martin
Old 18 June 2009, 09:59 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

Well I tested 2 at the weekend, wow what a fast car the first was 360 bhp, it was amazing, the second standard, but it had been abused, scratchs on every panel.
I am going to look at what looks a very nice one tomorrow in london, so fingers crossed I will have a new evo by the weekend
Old 20 June 2009, 10:33 PM
big_xavier
Scooby Regular

Picked my new evo up today, and wow what a mind blowing car, it is so quick and holds the road so well. Looking forward to trying it out some more tomorrow. Happy day
Old 24 June 2009, 04:24 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

Well done - what did you get?

Really hope you enjoy it