Sponsored by:

phil glew coaching services review

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 09:02 PM
utaka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phil glew coaching services review

This is a short review of Phil Glew and his coaching service WWW.EDGE-SE.COM i wanted professional tuition before entering time attack next year, and seeing Phil drive there was no question of who to ask

I met Phil and Eddie at half 8 at Rockingham circuit. Two great guys very friendly and welcoming, i felt really at ease. We had a small chat then they showed me around the car.

We jumped in the car and Phil took me around the circuit at half pace to show me lines, speeds, bad corners and the exits. After about 5 laps we returned to the pits. It was my turn.

INTO PITS
Phil now explained to me the lines and the layout to make sure i was confident. Phil makes you feel very comfortable he is very calm but also very clear and i found his methods of teaching were excellent.

Here we go then we exit the pits. At this point Phil has control of the mirrors so all i had to worry about was driving. At this early stage Phil has lot of input, he is constantly telling you where to position the car, braking points and speed entering and exiting corners. He also has a large input on the steering wheel with a lot of correction needed to keep me on the unnatural feeling racing line.
INTO PITS
We park up and Phil begins to explain the lines, and how to enter and exit corner properly. I understand first time what he is saying to me and we get back on track.

Now we begin to pick up the pace, Still with a fair bit of input from Phil verbally i begin to start lapping on my own, Phil was constantly building my confidence his instructions were so clear and easy to digest. I actually begun to start joining joining corners together and getting my times down with less and less wheel input from Phil
INTO PITS
Phil seems happy with my progress so we have a quick recap and begin to talk about balancing the car. I can't tell you how easy Phil made this to understand. With my new found knowledge and my confidence sky high we got back out.

This is when it all started happening. I begun to push each lap there was an improvement i begun to understand the corners and hitting the apexes. I could feel the car underneath me and its movements became easy to predict. I also started to find my own breaking points and the car had found some wonderful grip.
INTO PITS
We went for lunch. this was nice as we all sat down had a chat and got to know each other a little better

by the afternoon i was so confident and eager to get back on the track. Phil spoke with me about some key points from before lunch and off we went.
I was a bit lairy to start with while the brakes and tyres warmed but then i started to hook it up. All the days tuition started to come together. Phil was pretty much silent now which must have been a good thing, only reminding me to unwind the steering occasionally and when to give more brake pedal or steering lock to eliminate understeer
INTO PITS
That was the best session yet, i had hooked up some decent laps. Phil had my technique down to a tee. He was full of praise made me feel so good about the last session. i was now lapping consistently but that was only down to the clarity and quality of Phil's instructions.

this was the penultimate session, Phil talked me through everything we had learned over the whole day and gave me a little pep talk and we were off. Everything felt great to me i made a few errors but i was flying. I now had the car maxed along the wall, hitting most of the apexes and more often tan not was remembering to unwind the steering. My judgement was better, my braking was later and i was getting the job done. Phil had ironed out most of mistakes by now and i was lapping pretty well
INTO PITS
Everyone is happy Phil's coaching is really paying off. he is unbelievably good at what he does, everything he has tought me has sunk right in.

Last session pretty much same as previous but with a few missed braking points and some understeer moments purely down to trying to go too fast and fatigue so we call it a day at about 5:20pm

So that is that. The day was a success and now i feel quite able and confident on the track where as before i felt nervous and unsure. After a day with Phil and his expertise i feel so confident now. The package as a whole is excellent. Hospitality wise Eddie and Phil are two top guys both with motorsport backgrounds Eddie from full on karting and Phil is currently leading the Renault clio cup. They are only young (same age as me 25) but very level headed, friendly and genuinely fun guys to spend the day with, and really know their stuff

I would 110% recommend this to anyone looking to get into motorsport, or just looking to better your driving, every level is catered for Phil is a fountain of knowledge and his tuition is invaluable. The car is nothing short of brilliant, not the quickest but the fun you have in it is unbelievable.Phil's teaching methods are so easy to understand and breaking down the sessions verbally and finding key points to work on is something that really helps
If you are looking for coaching services for motorsport or motorspot hospitality i cannot recommend Phil, Eddie, or edge enough.

it was that good i'm going again in a few weeks brands hatch this time should be fun. It really is worth every penny. Thanks guys at EDGE-SE for a cracking day
please get in touch if you would like to know more or contact edge directly WWW.EDGE-SE.COM OR 01799 582 705 OR