Price Advice

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2009, 12:09 PM
Dynamo5
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price Advice

Hi there,

new to the forum, but looking at buying a friend of a friends STi, just wanted a guide on price as I cant find anything similar.

I'm afraid I dont have exact details so am only looking for a ball park figure

1995 M reg STi Import
Metallic Blue with Gold Wheels
New Tyres (decent but cant remember make)
Uprated Turbo (again dont have the model)
Stupidly loud exhaust stainless
Engine remapped
Power is just over 400.
Cat 1 alarm

The guy is pretty fussy with his cars, but in the last 20k it has just needed servicing and tyres and the alarm fixed. Bodywork is good, a bit of laquer peel on one of the wheels, not cat c/d.

He's asking for £4.5k, which seems a bit high with the current lack of interest in fast cars, but I've not seen anything like it elsewhere to compare.

Although it's been reliable, is a car of this age, and this tuning just going to be a money pit in the long run, and if I do blow it up what is a rough cost to get a replacement standard STi engine fitted to a car of this age, are they hard to find?

thanks
Old 31 May 2009, 12:18 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

It does seem a bit rich, I just bought a 296.1 bhp proven 95 for £1100, needs a bit of a touch up here and there, I expect it to be worth about £2500 on a good day when I finish the work on it.
If you look on the classified here or ebay, pistonheads etc you would find cheaper. By the same token, if you have £4.5k to spend you should be looking at an MY01/MY02 WRX for that money.

As for the engines, they come up from time to time. Places like this Jap Performance Parts : Home get them in. Should be something on there you can use as a guide price.
Old 31 May 2009, 12:32 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

400 I assume you mean horse power.

Takes a bit more than a big turbo and a remap to make 400. If it can be proven with RR graph or a list of parts and receipts then maybe you could look into it.

Also, what colour of met blue is it? Has it been resprayed? Are you sure its an STI and not a WRX with badges?
Old 31 May 2009, 01:26 PM
Dynamo5
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll see they guy tomorrow. He said it has an output graph from the mappers. I know there can be some variation between rolling roads, but this guy is a car enthusiast, which is why I'm interested. I'm not sure of all the work done to it, this guy bought it in it's current condition so hasn't done any mod work. I've had a look around on the internet sales sites, but couldn't find any similar old models with such a high tune.

I'm pretty sure it has had a respray at some time as the paint is in very good condition, this is a close colour match from a generic photo

I'll see what I can do with the price, but it seems to be in pretty good working order.