Old 30 May 2009, 10:43 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 08/09 HATCH Sti transformed....

Spent the morning today at Powerstation having my 10k service AND>>>

Had new whiteline adjustable 22mm arb's fitted front and rear,

new USA Cobb springs (-20mm with 10% stiffer front & 15% stiffer rear rate),

and the Whiteline rear bush inserts kit.

Plus a bespoke 4 wheel computer alignment.

The result.... absolute transformation without compromising ride quality.

No more wallowing, wobbling, leaning, rolling or jellying. No more floating rear suspension stepping out at speed ! The car now has a slightly firmer ride, but so much more planted, incredulous turn in and 105% better for a swift blast on those lovely roads home.
The A40 is sensational in places, no cameras (anymore it seems they have been removed), rolling and dipping roads - it was like a completely different car.

Point of this post is not just to say Powerstation are fab, professional, friendly, and reasonably priced. My technician was ex Rolls Royce, very professional, and nice guy to boot

ALL 08/09 HATCH STI owners I highly recommend not only fitting uprated springs (quite a few prodrive spring sets going on recently) but to say you MUST get the roll bars done AND the bush inserts in the floating rear axle.

Springs will help the roll somewhat, but its the rollbars that will tie it all together and steady the ship captain. They are a must !

And so are the rear bush inserts - without them your rear end WILL step out at speed as it twists up and pings out - wait until you experience it and then you'll know exactly what I mean - unnerving or what...

Once fitted the rear frame is now all tied together with nowhere to go WITH NO LOSS in ride quality at all (as the inserts surround, and plant on top of the original rubber bushings). This kit is ONLY about £40 plus fitting.

A big recommendation to all 08 Sti Hatch owners this is the cheapest must have mod - followed by arb's - again no loss in ride quality at all.

I am so pleased with the results. My brief to Dirk at Powerstation was not to create a rock hard, teeth rattling track day hero, but something that handles well with decent ride and comfort - and adresses the rear subframe issue . Mission more than accomplished - well done Dirk.

Next... power mods... or maybe just a JGM remap to give me at least PPP power at a fraction of the cost (less than £600).

ENJOY !

The Apostle

Mods... you may 'want' to move this to 'another' area BUT its very important that all the new Sti Hatch owners read this. The bush inserts could save some very nasty 'moments', believe me I had three incidents which caused me to search out why... and then remedy. Thanks.

Last edited by Apostle; 30 May 2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: to define 08/09 Hatch
Old 30 May 2009, 10:56 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Good to see this post,know what you mean about the rear end.If you come up the hill from monmouth you can still see the marks from my drivers rear alloy on the kerb stone on the dip in the road from the car having a tank slapper last year.
Old 30 May 2009, 11:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Handling is always the best way to mod And ARB's should always be first on the list

Powerstation are good at this stuff
Old 30 May 2009, 11:23 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Yo !

Thanks Stuart ... I trust you've had this done ....

Or you're planning it right now

I'm amazed IM made a car that handles like this on the limit.

Someone told me that they developed a road car, with no real intentions of rallying it...

Anyhow, drive safely out there !
Old 30 May 2009, 11:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

IM have a reputation of being penny-pinching profiteers, but I suppose that's why they're in business, to make money. When you compare UK to Jap spec cars the UK ones are always found lacking. Subaru themselves always seem to fit some products which hamper the cars ability, possibly to try to reign people into driving them a little more sensibly. A few slight tweeks and they come alive though. It's not just Subaru though, I fitted a Neuspeed 25mm rear ARB to the wifes Octavia yesterday and it has seriously improved the cornering abilities of that wallowing barge. I also have a Heath Robinson bodge job made by Jabba fitted to my Fabia vRS, which doesn't have a RARB usually, which improves that very noticeably. Had a 22mm Whiteline on my Scoob too
Old 30 May 2009, 11:52 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

There is 1 thing stopping me doing this to my 09, the warranty!!!.
Old 31 May 2009, 12:16 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The warranty would be intact, apart from if it could be reasonably certain that any aftermarket component was the cause of any subsequent claim. So, you can't fit a Whiteline roll bar then claim that the links have now snapped, but if your engine explodes there is no tangible connection between the constituent components so your claim would be valid and honored. Leave the engine alone and mod the chassis and suspension to your hearts content

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2009, 12:19 AM
Mobius 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
There is 1 thing stopping me doing this to my 09, the warranty!!!.
Me too, but I've already chopped the mid box out of my exhaust, so the exhaust warranty is gone

Is it the "anti lift kit" you are referring to as the bush set? I have read about this and did wonder how much difference it made.

I have a 330s which should have the prodrive springs already, but I would like it to be lower - no more than an inch tho, I think it just needs a little

The arb's are close to top of my list when I start to get more serious, i'm not sure I can wait three years tho.................

Ben
Old 31 May 2009, 12:22 AM
Mobius 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The warranty would be intact, apart from if it could be reasonably certain that any aftermarket component was the cause of any subsequent claim. So, you can't fit a Whiteline roll bar then claim that the links have now snapped, but if your engine explodes there is no tangible connection between the constituent components so your claim would be valid and honored. Leave the engine alone and mod the chassis and suspension to your hearts content
Thats more like the encouragement I was looking for

May contact the dealer to see if they would look at it that sensibly ...............
Old 31 May 2009, 07:10 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Default Yep...

Mobius - No.

The anti lift kit adjusts the front end geometry 'slightly', the bush inserts are for the rear subframe only.

The anti roll bars or arb's are on the front and back separately and deal with the transition of weight from side to side when cornering i.e. roll.

FWIW. According to Dirk at Powerstation - the whiteline anti lift kit for the new 08/09 Hatch is not completely fit for use at the present. Powerstation have issues with the quality of the alk polyurethane inserts which have failed in a couple of cars. Dirk told me Saturday that Whiteline have acknowledged this and will have to develop / and produce something new for the kit. Thus Powerstation wouldn't sell me a alk even though they have loads for the new 08/09 Sti Hatch - good people there you know it. So the new alk will take another month or two (at least) before it hits the retailers again. Worth considering is the fact that Powerstation developed the T20 car sold by Litchfields - ie: what they say is worth listening to
Old 31 May 2009, 07:15 AM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Simon C

Why not buy the Bush Kit for the rear subframe and take it to your dealer to fit ?

Explain to him why and if they are reasonable folk (can't see how bushes could affect the warranty - but who knows...) they might do it for you ?

Worth an ask me thinks...
Old 31 May 2009, 09:36 AM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Apostle;8735378]Thanks Stuart ... I trust you've had this done ....

Or you're planning it right now

Looking at changing had so much problems with it two engines fail,rear diff,centre diff and gearbox is making a noise.
Old 31 May 2009, 01:11 PM
Dave_P
Scooby Regular

I agree Apostle, fitting the Whiteline parts, a decent set of lowering springs and getting a geo done transforms the car and sorts out that wayward rear end, every 08/09 STI owner needs to know about this

Originally Posted by Apostle
FWIW. According to Dirk at Powerstation - the whiteline anti lift kit for the new 08/09 Hatch is not completely fit for use at the present. Powerstation have issues with the quality of the alk polyurethane inserts which have failed in a couple of cars. Dirk told me Saturday that Whiteline have acknowledged this and will have to develop / and produce something new for the kit. Thus Powerstation wouldn't sell me a alk even though they have loads for the new 08/09 Sti Hatch - good people there you know it. So the new alk will take another month or two (at least) before it hits the retailers again. Worth considering is the fact that Powerstation developed the T20 car sold by Litchfields - ie: what they say is worth listening to
Not so good to everyone mate. Dirk recently fitted the Whiteline ALK to my 08 STI and said it was fine, so does this mean Whiteline & Dirk acknowledge that they have supplied/fitted faulty goods and will replace them when the updated parts are made available...

Dirk, expect a phone call, an e-mail and a legal letter. If this is true then you are out of order, especially as I have just spent more than £2.5K with you.
Old 31 May 2009, 02:30 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Ouch !

Hmmh... Dave P has a good point.

I'm sure Powerstation are more than honorable in these areas.

My impression was that this 'news' has only been acknowledged by Whiteline this week.

Best you speak to Dirk next week and ask him yourself.
Old 31 May 2009, 02:33 PM
winmoz
Scooby Regular

Default Getting very confused here

From what you guys are saying, the first mod a new 08/09 STi owner should be looking to make is to get arbs and new bushes.

Seems Whiteline are the items of choice, or will be in a little while? Do PowerFlex do a bush application for the 08/09?

Cheers

W
Old 31 May 2009, 03:22 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Arrow ALK or ARB ?

Winmoz, don't get confused matey.

Yes the first mod should be the 22mm arb's front and rear and rear bush kit from Whiteline - no issues, go for it.

No loss of comfort, eliminates roll, tightens up floating rear end etc. etc.

And if you do the above, whilst there change the springs as well. Cost me about £ 800 (which included my 10k service) plus cost of springs which I supplied.

The Whiteline alk or anti lift kit is a separate mod which slightly alters the front geometry. It's this that needs slight redevelopment and will be a month or two until sorted.

FWIW I will probably live without it until next time... or next year.
Old 31 May 2009, 03:53 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mobius 1
Me too, but I've already chopped the mid box out of my exhaust, so the exhaust warranty is gone

Is it the "anti lift kit" you are referring to as the bush set? I have read about this and did wonder how much difference it made.

I have a 330s which should have the prodrive springs already, but I would like it to be lower - no more than an inch tho, I think it just needs a little

The arb's are close to top of my list when I start to get more serious, i'm not sure I can wait three years tho.................

Ben

AFAIK you dont have the prodrive springs as standard, not 100% though.

Mac
Old 31 May 2009, 10:43 PM
Mobius 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
AFAIK you dont have the prodrive springs as standard, not 100% though.

Mac
I can't remember where I heard that now............... I'll be looking in to that then Just something else to spend money on.............

Cheers

Ben
Old 01 June 2009, 08:13 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Hi Dave, we changed to Powerflex Anti lift kit in our Type-20 kit

Last edited by LitchfieldImports; 01 June 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01 June 2009, 01:16 PM
winmoz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apostle
Winmoz, don't get confused matey.
Cheers fella, it doesn't take much for me to loose the plot......................

A trip to Powerstation is probably on the cards then, with the Powerflex bushes in mind.

I assume that it was the Powerflex equipped demo car that Evo tested?

Cheers

W
Old 01 June 2009, 01:33 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mobius 1
I can't remember where I heard that now............... I'll be looking in to that then Just something else to spend money on.............

Cheers

Ben
I think they said the 380s was the one that would have the Prodrive suspension mods.

Paul.
Old 01 June 2009, 02:20 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Yep...

Hey winmoz - you're just about there.

All whiteline bits are great arb's and rear bush kit .

And the alk now preferred is the powerflex one.

And we're leave it there
Old 01 June 2009, 03:49 PM
Dave_P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LitchfieldImports
Hi Dave, we changed to Powerflex Anti lift kit in our Type-20 kit
Hello mate, it was great to see you and your better half at chavfest...my other half wants a midnight blue Type 20 now

Speak soon, All the best

Dave

p.s. Dirk, I'm still after you...LOL
Old 02 June 2009, 01:16 PM
winmoz
Scooby Regular

Default as mentioned else where

So without sounding too much like a cheeky newbie, if the outstanding feedback on the MY08/09 is that it needs better body, rear axle and steering control, it seems most people are looking to mod to get around these issues.

So.......

Anyone up for a group buy on the arb then?

Cheers

W
Old 02 June 2009, 10:51 PM
Mobius 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by winmoz
Anyone up for a group buy on the arb then?

Cheers

W

Yep

Last edited by Mobius 1; 02 June 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02 June 2009, 10:59 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah go on another vote here for the gb
Old 03 June 2009, 11:21 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Mines going to the dealers on Monday. I will see what they say, and then I'll be in a place to decide.

The other problem I have is how much of a difference there is between my car and the STi's. It billed as a WRX with a different powerplant, but you can bet they made other changes (mines a diesel).
Old 03 June 2009, 01:11 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Mine has just drained my bank account so depending on the cost I might be up for the gb.
Old 03 June 2009, 01:27 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Simon if you have the latest Impreza Diesel then you have a much improved car over the MY08 WRX. You have the latest chassis which is very good.
Old 03 June 2009, 01:38 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Iain, I think I might do, although I'm unsure when it was actually made. I was registered 01/04/09 and I collected it on the 2nd April.

The body roll it the only thing about it that really annoys me, I don't have the confidence to push it unlike my classic sport. Other than that, its a stunning car and soooo easy to drive.

Quick Reply: 08 Sti transformed....