Sponsored by:

p1 or newage sti

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2009, 03:14 PM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p1 or newage sti

i am having a bit of trouble i dont no what to buy next i just sold my uk turbo classic and i am now stuck between these 2 cars they both look great i am looking to mod it to about 400bhp but i dont like the idea of a 6 speed box any info on were i should go with this
Old 29 May 2009, 03:27 PM
bigbarry04
Scooby Regular

it is personal preferance, what car you prefer. however the 6 speed gearbox is a short shift creamy smooth box. dont knock it til you try it also an added bonus that it can handle 500bhp+
Old 29 May 2009, 03:39 PM
blue scooby
Scooby Regular

Subaru : subaru p1 awesome spec 2001

400 BHP P1.....awesome car and spec
Old 29 May 2009, 03:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 6 speed box is far better than the 5 speed box, I still try grabbing 6th in my classic as it feels it needs it, shame its not there
Now car wise, as barry said, its personal preference, p1's are lovely cars but are 9 years old now and suffer from niggling issues.... where as the new age STI's are a much improved mechanical car (which was one of the biggest complaints on the classic STI's) and really I prefer the new age cars over the classics (though it has to be a JDM STI for me ) but go drive both, think of what you want the car for, weekend toy or week day motor, that should sort most of your questions out

Tony
Old 29 May 2009, 06:38 PM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

i think that,s what i am going to do i just want to make sure i choose right cheers for the help
Old 29 May 2009, 10:21 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

my choice is a p1 with a 6 speed box and that's what I know have thanks to api and I love it, back up there tomorrow for a set of ap 6 pots ready for a engine job in the near future. I have driven a 05 sti a 05 sti PPP and a wr1 and imo they don't compare to the rawness of a classic especialy a p1 or type r
Old 29 May 2009, 11:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Stevie, sorry to say that you need to drive a new age jdm car, out of the 3 scoobs I have owned/own, this is the order of "rawness" they come in

1. MY03 WRX STI Spec C (miles ahead in every department!)
2. MY99 WRX STI Type R (great car, fun to drive and interesting in the wet, DCCD needs mastering to get the best out of one! Fast rack steering as per P1 isn't as responsive as a quickrack or feels as good)
3.MY00 UK Turbo, fantastic but flawed, steering over assisted and goes too light, but for what it is, not much out there gives you the same enjoyment, miles behind the STI's though )

I loved them all but even your 6 speed P1 would be put to shame on the twisties by the Spec C

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2009, 07:45 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

On the other hand, I had an '05 JDM STI and sold it after 18 months - we just never really got on. I'm now much happier with a P1

(I also much prefer the old 5 speed box to the 6 speed - I found it notchy and it never really loosened up in 15,000 miles)
Old 30 May 2009, 08:29 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I have the opposite experience with the gearboxes Andy lol I find the 5 speed ones very notchy (my MY00 was brand new and that was notchy over previous cars, but I had a fair few "normal" cars I used for work) and the 6 speed box was much nicer even the Type R with 28k on the clock has a notchy box plus I keep looking for 6th but having owned a 6 speed car since 1998 im a little spoilt

Tony
Old 30 May 2009, 06:23 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Maybe there's just good and bad ones of each then? My MY00's 5 speed was fine, and so is the one in my P1 - it was my '05 STI six speed that I always thought could have been great once it had loosened up, but it didn't over the time I had the car.

Maybe I should have driven it harder?
Old 30 May 2009, 06:47 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Best of all worlds a 500bhp classic with a 6 Speed box and a 2.5 Motor. Mint!! :

You can throw all sorts into the equation. But if we're comparing a standard P1 to a Standard UK newage STI then they aren't so far apart. Forget Spec C Type 25 etc you have to compare apples with apples so to speak.

The Newage does have the six speed and a stonger engine and a slightly more refined chassis. But it's a fairly heavy car.

Get a well sorted classic (by that I mean forged engine, six speed, suspension brakes etc) and it will take some beating even if you did the same mods to a newage.

If only the classic came with a six speed as standard!!!
Old 31 May 2009, 10:43 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Best of all worlds a 500bhp classic with a 6 Speed box and a 2.5 Motor. Mint!! :

!!!
that is my car then your talking about Daz
Old 31 May 2009, 10:46 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive drove a lot of cars, 22b, sti8, evo 9, type r etc and I can say with much gladness the P1 is the best I have driven.
Horses for courses, my course is a big fat juicy P1 for mains.
Old 01 June 2009, 09:06 AM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Im a classic fan myself....been out in a fair few newage motors and to be honest, unless they are heavily modded they didnt feel that hot to me at all, yeah fair enough they are smoother and more refined but they just didnt seem to have the get aup and go of any of the classics

Ive just had a 6 speed box and quickshift fitted to my classic and TBH its the best mod i have ever done....the var feels completely different, its like im in a different car altogether

In my eyes, a big power classic with a 6 speed box is the complete package and will please almost anyone, but as said above, bear in mind even the last of the classics are now going on 9/10 years so the newage will always have the edge over that
Old 01 June 2009, 09:17 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

I owned a P1 a few years back and now own a newage STI and it really is horses for courses.

The P1 is by far one of the best cars I ever owned (was the one I owned for the longest), it was proper fast (some mods) the cabin is a nice place to be, Great fun to drive, handled amazingly and still looks great.

Newage STI, Very sturdy car, all the components are as strong as an Ox, cabin is up to date, loads more room over the P1, Still a great car to drive but nowhere near as chuckable as the P1 was.

If it wasn't for need for 4 doors I would defo still have a P1 even with there weaker gearbox and engine problems.
Old 01 June 2009, 10:02 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Stevie, sorry to say that you need to drive a new age jdm car, out of the 3 scoobs I have owned/own, this is the order of "rawness" they come in

1. MY03 WRX STI Spec C (miles ahead in every department!)
2. MY99 WRX STI Type R (great car, fun to drive and interesting in the wet, DCCD needs mastering to get the best out of one! Fast rack steering as per P1 isn't as responsive as a quickrack or feels as good)
3.MY00 UK Turbo, fantastic but flawed, steering over assisted and goes too light, but for what it is, not much out there gives you the same enjoyment, miles behind the STI's though )

I loved them all but even your 6 speed P1 would be put to shame on the twisties by the Spec C

Tony
Tony i am sure your spec c (assume it is not in std form of tune) would indeed be something quite hard to beat as they are fantastics cars so i have been told as i have never had the chance to drive one

my comment was over what the original op was asking a P1 or NEWAGE STI asuming he meant a UK STI / PPP not and JDM or SPEC C as they are far better then the uk editions and as i have driven the wr1, o5 sti and o5 sti ppp i have to say with out a shadow even on a 5 speed box the P1 is a better than a uk sti imho. with the added 6 speed box it does make for a fantastic drive and i love it to bits.

for the op i would suggest going and test driving both i am sure you live near an owner on here who may be up for a test drive and if you get the chance try and get a drive in a 6 speed classic

bets of luck steve
Old 01 June 2009, 10:15 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
that is my car then your talking about Daz

And mine on low boost
Old 01 June 2009, 10:23 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by RB5 Boyo
Ive just had a 6 speed box and quickshift fitted to my classic and TBH its the best mod i have ever done....the var feels completely different, its like im in a different car altogether
You barsteward.....stop tempting me!
Old 01 June 2009, 10:30 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You barsteward.....stop tempting me!
do it mate you will not regret it

steve
Old 01 June 2009, 11:52 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I have never had a better car than my MY02 STi. For me it was a complete car, I got 320bhp from it which was plenty fast enough. Few tweeks here are there and it handled as well as you could need.
6 speed gear box, Aircon, comfy seats, great on the track.
Old 02 June 2009, 09:57 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
And mine on low boost
:
Old 02 June 2009, 10:00 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

just to add guys 500bhp in a classic with 6 speeder is a pain in the ***, as you will forever needing to change up !!!!, ppg 5 next time for me
Old 02 June 2009, 10:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Tony i am sure your spec c (assume it is not in std form of tune) would indeed be something quite hard to beat as they are fantastics cars so i have been told as i have never had the chance to drive one

my comment was over what the original op was asking a P1 or NEWAGE STI asuming he meant a UK STI / PPP not and JDM or SPEC C as they are far better then the uk editions and as i have driven the wr1, o5 sti and o5 sti ppp i have to say with out a shadow even on a 5 speed box the P1 is a better than a uk sti imho. with the added 6 speed box it does make for a fantastic drive and i love it to bits.

for the op i would suggest going and test driving both i am sure you live near an owner on here who may be up for a test drive and if you get the chance try and get a drive in a 6 speed classic

bets of luck steve
Steve, the Spec C had an STI panel filter and a H&S bb, apart from that, nothing differed from the factory (even ran the standard JDM map ) and she still ate M3's (E46's) for breakfast! (and no electric windows or mirrors, if you adjusted the mirror it was wind the window down and use your finger to move the mirror from the outside! )

But as the OP never said what new age STI I will carry on pointing to the JDM models (on which the P1 was based as our market never had a 100% production run STI in the classics), so pointing out that the JDM Newage STI is a better car all in, I would push anyone to go out and get one twin scroll is the future

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 02 June 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03 June 2009, 09:19 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

i have to say tony that if i ever get rid of my p1 it would have to be for a spec c as i have heard and read nothing but flying reviews for them. litchfield have a very nice one in red for sale at the minute but i have put soo much time and money into my p1 already i cant get rid of it for the moment anyway. so maybe on the next choice of mods is a forged 2.0ltr / 2.5ltr twin scroll setup !
Old 03 June 2009, 11:07 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean stevie! I'm already buying things I need for my V5 type R (upgraded security, respray in a couple of places where there was a little bit of corrosion (nip it in the bud before it takes hold) and some new brakes (she already has fmic, upgraded turbo, injectors etc) so its costing me also! Though saying that, I should never have really sold the spec c but I had changed jobs and didn't know what I was going to earn initially.

Tony
Old 03 June 2009, 03:07 PM
crimme
Scooby Newbie

the red one is sold... surprisingly quick!
Old 03 June 2009, 04:22 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

sorry tony i did not realise you had sold the spec c!!! so how do you find the type r though?

issue i have been stuck with for a while was to sell up and almost start all over on a newage blob or hawk spec c but it would cost me about 7-8k on the purchace price with the sale of my p1 then a remap, pump, filter, exhaust etc let alone defis, whiteline goodies and maybe shocks, not to sure what the brakes are like compared to my ap 6 pots etc so by the time that was all done i woul dof spent a small fortune on it so figured as i had that all on my p1 it was better to stay put and look at a engine build
Old 03 June 2009, 04:57 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
just to add guys 500bhp in a classic with 6 speeder is a pain in the ***, as you will forever needing to change up !!!!, ppg 5 next time for me

6 Speeds are far stronger than PPG's a fair bit cheaper too. Plenty of PPG boxes have broken, not many six speeds have.

Get a later model 6 speed gearbox in a classic and you're proper sorted.
Old 03 June 2009, 08:27 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

P1 any day of the week mate.

I have a few mods on mine and it drives like a dream.
Old 03 June 2009, 08:32 PM
coops78
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkullFudge
P1 any day of the week mate.

I have a few mods on mine and it drives like a dream.

a few mods ?????????

Hows it running now mate, i had a look at your pics, RCM have done a fantastic job that intercooler pipe is like a work of art

Quick Reply: p1 or newage sti