Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hi new to the form!Help needed looking for sti type uk!

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2009, 12:45 PM
Gaz225
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi new to the form!Help needed looking for sti type uk!

Hi as above am new to the form and am looking for some help.Im looking to buy a sti type uk with the ppp kit either an 03 or04 plate can anyone tell me what to look out for when buying a used sti?Thanks
Old 19 May 2009, 01:21 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Welcome aboard.

When I bought my first STi is was all about the history, many disagree but I needed to have full dealer service history.
Next a lot of people say PPP but its not, it just has a nice exhaust or something, If the car is PPP it will come with a certificate or the inside of the drivers/passengers door will be stamped. If it doesnt have any of this you need to dig a bit further to make sure its a genuine prodrive car.

When your on the test drive listen for knocks from the back, the rear suspension is forever going wrong in these models.
Look through the bills and see if the clutch has been changed, not super important but might save you a few quid in the future.
And I swear by this....its not scientific but I always do it, Look at the tyres, if they all match and are a good brand then chances are the car has been well loved.

Celtic or Rangers or neither? My girlfriends is from Cranhill she said to ask, something about football I think.
Old 19 May 2009, 02:15 PM
Gaz225
Scooby Newbie

Thanks alot for your help I need to sell my renaultsport megane 225 before I get a scooby but defo gona get one.What sort of mpg do yous get?and am I correct in saying that the big services are 30000 miles and 60000 miles?whats involved in the 30000 mile one?Thanks for your help again!

And am a Rangers man!!!
Old 19 May 2009, 02:21 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I would get about 24MPG from my STI, and maybe 19/20 when I had the go peddle down. It sounds low but you enjoy every mile so its worth it.
The 30k is
Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
Inspect Camshaft drive belt
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections
Replace Air cleaner element
Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
Inspect Automatic transmission fluid
Replace Brake fluid
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Inspect Brake linings and drums
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

Well thats what Subaru say they do..... The next big one is 50k, thats the cambelt service, should be about £500 ish for that service. A lot of people on here have got it for cheaper though, I just went to Subaru so it cost me more.
The BIG one is 60k, Thats the fluid service. That one can be a LOT of money.

How about that Lafferty fella....
Old 19 May 2009, 02:30 PM
Gaz225
Scooby Newbie

cool thanks for the info yea lafferty was out of order gettin that player sent off but a win on sunday agains dundee united and we win the league!!!what sort of price is the 30000 mile service and what about the yearly ones?cheers
Old 19 May 2009, 02:37 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I would guess you should put about £500 aside for the 30k service, Chances are it will be less depending where you go but better to be safe.
If you buy a car with between 35 - 30k on it from a dealer I would make them service it before I took it away, Its nothing to them as most of them have a mechanic or workshop.

My annuals were about £250 I had the oil plugs etc replaced with top notch stuff. It paid off as when I sold the MY02 to get the Mrs her MY06 we got a good price for the STi partly due to its good history.
You should do Dundee, its yours to loose this year!!!
Old 19 May 2009, 03:27 PM
Gaz225
Scooby Newbie

thanks yes I think we will do dundee will find out soon enough!