ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

##Subscription or another method to stop the pollution of this BBS?##

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2002, 10:01 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This isn't aimed at any individuals or any particular threads. However in my short time on this BBS people have come along and fouled on the path. Shorely there must be way of stopping people having multiple logons, some VB script that can link peoples common factors ie e mail address, or maybe evenin no hot mail accounts I don't know but surely there must be a way of doing some weeding??

Kevlar reinforced Flame suit on
Old 03 March 2002, 10:19 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Scott

Unfortunately there is no logical way of stopping people from having multiple log-ons. Although I don't see this as a major problem. We did some analysis about 6 months ago and made some additional allowances, and would estimate that only around 800 of the logons are multiples, and of those, only around 300 of them are used. Most of the multiples are people who have forgotten their usernames / use multiples for times when their connection drops in chat and they can't get back in with their usual name, etc.

In addition, I don't think this is a major problem.

This is a well discussed subject now, but it is important to notice that the quality posts are still there. Take a look in the technical sections, and in-fact all of the other sections (except maybe the muppet show!!!) and although there is a higher number of posts, the good ones are still there.

If you've been around for a while, you will undoubtedly have seen the important subjects discussed many times before, so these are much less likely to interest you, but the stats just keep rising, most of the posts on here are from people with many posts to their name which means people stick around.

We can't fight evolution, and to be honest, I wouldn't want to. I love this community, and the fact that you can post a request / question on here and it will be answered by an expert within minutes. I also love that people want to have fun on here.

I am not so happy about the complaining / whinging posts that appear, but you have to take the good with the bad.

I will NOT go down the blanket subscription route, but have been thinking about a subscription based member's only forum. If this is of interest, let me know and I'll look into what it would take.

All the best

Simon
Old 03 March 2002, 10:22 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Simon

Nice, a subcsribed post forum imho would be of value to someone who wants to read quality and not quantity

SJD