Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2009, 10:18 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye Scooby Buying Advice & Howdy

Hi Guys

First off howdy, been registered here for a while but have never posted

I have just sold my VX220 Turbo, its being collected next week and therefore im on the hunt for a scooby. The VX was a great car, very quick handled really well etc but was just far too impractical and to be honest became a bit of a chore not to mention the fact i seemed to constantly be spending money on it + i just didn't think i could get the best out of it without driving the nuts off it and that's hard because show it anything other than a perfect driving surface and it turns its nose up.

Soooo im on the hunt for a Scooby, ive decided that i want a blob eye (facelift model) which i believe has a different interior DCCD and a wider track. Colour isn't too much of an issue although i would prefer the blue. So anyway a few questions -

1. Mileage, the new scoobs are pretty good are they not ? I'm not going to be looking at a engine rebuild at 60k (have heard too many story's about P1s :P)

2. MPG wise, im guessing the norm is between 20 - 25 for normal driving

3. Servicing etc, every 10K ?

4. Are there any options that i want to make sure the car i buy has ?

5. What do i need to look out for when on the hunt, any tell tale signs an engine is on its last legs or that the turbo is knackered .....

I'm pretty sure i want an STI PPP with the prodrive lowering springs but some people have said i would be better off buying a non PPP model as they are better to tune and add bits onto, is this correct ?

Any general advice etc would be most helpful

Sam (soon to be scooby owner)
Old 09 April 2009, 11:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me then i would stretch to this
PARKWAY MOTOR GROUP. : IMPREZA WRX STi JDM VERSION 320 BHP
The JDM cars are superior to their UK counterparts in many ways, better oil distribution to the bearings, stronger gearboxes and engines, more goodies and they are twin scroll, which basically means you have power from 1.5k to 8k, unlike the uk cars which is more like 3k-7.5k (and the JDM cars have more power out of the box )

Tony
Old 10 April 2009, 01:03 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony

Cant push that far, max really is £10500 Spent around that last year on the VX220 too arghhh !

I can imagine the JDM imports are more expensive to insure .... im allready being crippled im only 21

Sam
Old 10 April 2009, 03:41 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

More advice appreciated

Old 10 April 2009, 04:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Pretty much any STI will cripple you then most insurers wont insure under 25's on these cars, and those that will pay through the nose
But look at piston heads, still some pretty good motors on there

Tony
Old 10 April 2009, 04:37 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello Sam. Popped over from OCUK have you?

DCCD on UK cars came in on late 54 onwards. Your budget will see a DCCD equipped UK blob or possibly a hawk with miles or a desperate owner.

MPG is about right. I know your set on a newage but don't be fooled by the old impreza = time bomb tales.

Servicing is everything. If its not got a folder of receipts don't bother. Its not hard to keep receipts so I don't have any faith in those that try and sell a car with carp history.

Keep the owners to a minimum. 1 or 2 at most IMO. Look for the usual tells of a hard life. Imprezas aren't really much different to any other car theres just alot of tat about.

I would get PPP. Not sure about non PPP cars being easier to tune. I guess if you eventually get a PPP remapped you lose the PPP but but hardly worth the worry IMO.

Just keep an eye on pistonheads, get a feel for the prices (what sells and what doesn't - obvious stuff like too expensive or clearly a pile of **** from the photos)

And good luck
Old 10 April 2009, 04:40 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

I was very intrested in this - https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...i-type-uk.html but i belive it has now sold Seemed to have some very nice mods and be a very good price.

I have done insurance quotes and its not looking too bad, im 21 (22 in june) and have 4 years NCB, clean licence etc. I have had a racing puma / Clio trophy and a VX220 Turbo too which the specalist insurance companys like (bit of history) Admiral are quoting me around £250 on top of the £1100 i allready pay for the VX220 Turbo. I also live in a very good postcode insurance wise ....

There are some nice ones on pistonheads but they are all standard, i ideally want to get one thats had some basic things done to it -

Lowering springs
Exhaust system
Gauges
Remap

Otherwise im just going to be spending silly money on mods and to be honest i think if you want those things your far better off buying a pre modded one with a very good history, would you not agree tony ?

Sam
Old 10 April 2009, 04:45 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Hello Sam. Popped over from OCUK have you?

DCCD on UK cars came in on late 54 onwards. Your budget will see a DCCD equipped UK blob or possibly a hawk with miles or a desperate owner.

MPG is about right. I know your set on a newage but don't be fooled by the old impreza = time bomb tales.

Servicing is everything. If its not got a folder of receipts don't bother. Its not hard to keep receipts so I don't have any faith in those that try and sell a car with carp history.

Keep the owners to a minimum. 1 or 2 at most IMO. Look for the usual tells of a hard life. Imprezas aren't really much different to any other car theres just alot of tat about.

I would get PPP. Not sure about non PPP cars being easier to tune. I guess if you eventually get a PPP remapped you lose the PPP but but hardly worth the worry IMO.

Just keep an eye on pistonheads, get a feel for the prices (what sells and what doesn't - obvious stuff like too expensive or clearly a pile of **** from the photos)

And good luck
Hi Edd

I have indeed

Thanks for the advice, this is what i need Ive also been told i need to make sure i get one with the PPP lowering springs (or equiv) because otherwise its a little "boaty" lol

What impreza do you have again ? The older models can look very nice but i think the newer blobeye is the shape for me

Sam
Old 10 April 2009, 04:45 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

if you're after the wider track model you'll have to be looking at 05 spec onwards (you can pick up late 2004 plated cars that have the 05 spec aswell) this will give you the wider track, DCCD and bigger hubs.

the reality of the above is some plastic bits on the rear arches, a ****/wheel in the car that you can alter the amount of power to the front/rear wheels. or you can leave it in AUTO like 99% of us do and the bigger hubs give a bigger PCD. no idea what the benefit of this is.

your budget should get you a good 05 onwards sti, prices are a bit all over the place at the moment. they took a massive hammering a year ago but i'm being offered the same money for my car as what i was about 4 months ago quite happy with that though

your questions

1 - if you get a well looked after car (full history etc) you shouldn't have any problems. the only outstanding issue is knocking struts.

2 - that's about right, depends on your normal driving and you can get silly low MPG if you're hammering it.

3 - uk cars are 1 year/10k. i think JDM (imports) are 6 months??

4 - there's a few add ons you can get, but the main one is PPP. take a look on the subaru site to see whats on offer. most are cosmetic, but i'd recommend the Prodrive springs, big improvement to the car.

5 - not really techinally minded enough to give advise i'm afraid. i think a dying turbo gives blue smoke out the exhaust on start up?
don't be too surprised at stone chipping on a low mileage car, the paint is terribly thin and can chipped and scuffed quite easily the metal is thin aswell so door dinks are pretty common.

personally if i was buying now and there was very little in the price, i would go for a PPP car. yes you will get more power from a bespoke remap (my car is pretty much PPP spec and has got a fair bit more power/torque) but out the box it's normally as much as most people need.
the Prodrive springs are a separate option so aren't always on a PPP fitted car.

HTH
Old 10 April 2009, 04:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The thing with mods is that insurance co's hammer you for them silly really, i remember getting my first scoob back in 2000 (last of the classic shape) and being somewhat older than you are now (by several years) i wanted to add some nice prodrive alloy wheels, they wanted all of 500 quid for that and i had been driving performance cars (and other vehicles) for 12 years prior to that!
Not always a good move though have a look at this

Subaru : 2005 STI 28000 MILES VERSION 9 PRO DRIVE
Note the flared arches over the rears, denotes a 2005 STI.

Tony
Old 10 April 2009, 04:57 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

Very true tony !!! Especially with admiral who seem to do everything to do with mods in the £100s evan for a bloody magic tree

I called that guy to ask a couple of questions, not for sale anymore Take it off bloody pistonheads then lol

On another note, where can i get a decent pod and set of gauges for an STI

Sam
Old 11 April 2009, 01:56 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...pe-uk-ppp.html

Price is over budget but I'm sure there aren't that many people about right now with 11.5K.

There was someone selling the white Defis in a newage pod in the FS section.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...e-install.html
Old 12 April 2009, 01:19 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

Have emailed the seller , cheers edd missed that one

Dont think ill be going Defi, i want to be spending £100 not £400 :jawdrop: lol

Sam
Old 12 April 2009, 05:52 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Defi's rock but are a tad pricey. Try these....

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...er-gauges.html
Old 12 April 2009, 06:43 PM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

What do any of you enthusiasts think of this one?
http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/...0264561/advert

I went and had a look at it myself, perfect, bar a tiny ding the back left door.

It has 80,000 km's (50k mls).
No registered irish owners, and no japanese service history with the car.

Would you walk away if no proper history?
What do you think its worth in £££'s?

Its a 2003 sti, totally standard bar an induction kit, and it has the DCCD.

Last edited by ScoobyNoobie; 12 April 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12 April 2009, 07:02 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoobie
What do any of you enthusiasts think of this one?
Subaru Impreza STi version 9 www.NORTHSIDEAUTOS.ie - 16950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

I went and had a look at it myself, perfect, bar a tiny ding the back left door.

It has 80,000 km's (50k mls).
No registered irish owners, and no japanese service history with the car.

Would you walk away if no proper history?
What do you think its worth in £££'s?

Its a 2003 sti, totally standard bar an induction kit, and it has the DCCD.
personaly i would walk away if there was no history, just my opinion mind.

Aaron
Old 12 April 2009, 09:28 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midnight Runner
Defi's rock but are a tad pricey. Try these....

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...er-gauges.html
Cheers they look great, surly they cant be far off the defis in terms off giving good enough readings ....
Old 12 April 2009, 10:15 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

^^ There's a lot of people running Prosport Stepper Gauges. Good price, look the business and do the Defi sweep on and off.
Old 12 April 2009, 10:49 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

1. Mileage, the new scoobs are pretty good are they not ? I'm not going to be looking at a engine rebuild at 60k (have heard too many story's about P1s :P)

If it's been looked after, serviced regularly and not had mods tacked on left, right and centre without proper tuning/mapping they will do you proud. STI gearboxes and next to bullet-proof too.

2. MPG wise, im guessing the norm is between 20 - 25 for normal driving

Have a look-see here https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-answered.html

3. Servicing etc, every 10K ?

Yup 10k-12k/yearly, and this is the same as for imports (the classics were shorter period). Possibly more often if you track the car, etc.

4. Are there any options that i want to make sure the car i buy has ?

You will have a lot of opinion here. For the money these days the choice has to be the Bugeye STI (the model just before the blobeye) with forged pistons, as standard). Blobeye STI are lovely too. They gained a new front and rear and DCCD over the Bugeye STI, though no more forged pistons - don't worry too much they are more than up to the job they were made for. Same awesome 6-speed box.

Your choices are the
JDM STi - in standard guise will see an unofficial 310 bhp, shorter 5th and 6th built more for acceleration.
Type UK STi- in standard guise loses items such as window tints, rear wash wipe, manual I/C spray?, more restrictive exhaust and inlet (Euro emissions ), leaving it with a manufacturer 260ish bhp. Slightly longer 5th and 6th gears more suited to UK roads/motorways.
Type UK STi PPP - in standard guise, Prodrive exhaust system (inc. sports cat), lowering springs, fuel pump and map, bringing it much nearer to the JDM STi.

Note that there aren't many standard ones left Most will have been uprated in some way. Also the PPP'ed cars can be tuned, it's just that the tuner can't take the PPP map and modify it, they just start with their own. Not a problem as the experienced mappers have thousands of maps and can fettle exactly to suit your car.

5. What do i need to look out for when on the hunt, any tell tale signs an engine is on its last legs or that the turbo is knackered .....

Sooner or later you're going to hear of the blighted STi rear shocks. Basically they will knock sooner or later. A quick search on here will reveal a lot. So bear that in mind or budget for some new (non Subaru) shocks. Check the group buy section for the BR Coilovers!

Last edited by psigeek; 12 April 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 13 April 2009, 10:09 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

Hi PSIgeek cheers for the advice This is what forums are great for ....

Manual I/C spray which i guess is manual intercooler spray, what would you need this for trackdays and the like ?

Im on the hunt as we speak, car is being collected on wed and cant wait to get my hands on one
Old 14 April 2009, 12:12 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamZS
Hi PSIgeek cheers for the advice This is what forums are great for ....

Manual I/C spray which i guess is manual intercooler spray, what would you need this for trackdays and the like ?

Im on the hunt as we speak, car is being collected on wed and cant wait to get my hands on one
I'd say that the automatic I/C spray is more for the trackdays (i.e. it'll fire every time a boost level is hit - don't know what level though).

Manual I/C spray is more useful if you've slowed down in slow moving traffic and the intercooler has become subject to heat soak. A quick spray before pulling off may reduce charge temps. Though I've not noticed a difference yet really and would need a charge temp gauge to really report differences.

Take your time, take a few out and you'll find the right one! Took me 6 months to find mine. About the same age as you then, 23 for the Bug STI.
Old 14 April 2009, 12:35 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamZS
Cheers they look great, surly they cant be far off the defis in terms off giving good enough readings ....
For the price they really are spot on - I have ran a set since xmas and they have been great Just a note on the servicing though, every 10k/year but I change the oil every 5k/6 months as well. Also some of the servicing can be pricey, my next one (due next week) is the 30k one costs around £400 depending on where you go. Car has only done 22k though must be mad!

There are plenty of good ones out there so take you're time, good luck
Old 14 April 2009, 10:04 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

In terms of plumbing in

oil temp - Special sump plug ?
oil pressure ??
boost - vacum hose ?

Is this something that can be done at home or is it a bit of a garage jobbie !!
Old 15 April 2009, 09:12 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

In terms of plumbing in

oil temp - Special sump plug ?
Galley plug above cylinder number 3 (generally thought to run the hottest as nearest to turbo and last in line for fuel
oil pressure ??
T-piece adaptor to retain OE switch under alternator
boost - vacum hose ?
yup. Mine is off the dump valve

Both oil ones can also be connected to a sandwich plate in front of the oil filter.

Is this something that can be done at home or is it a bit of a garage jobbie !!
I done mine at home. Then had to take to Mocom as I hadn't done them tight enough or used enough thread tape. I've learnt now though.
Old 15 April 2009, 07:20 PM
ScoobyNoobie
Scooby Regular

The JDM STi blobeye MY03 got DCCD straight away in 2003 didnt it.
Did the DCCD only come in on Sti UK spec cars in 2005?
Old 15 April 2009, 10:22 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

Cheers PSI

Think i will take it into a garage to have those fitted

Going to look at this saturday - https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...pe-uk-ppp.html

Last edited by SamZS; 15 April 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 16 April 2009, 02:28 PM
SamZS
Scooby Regular

To the top
Old 16 April 2009, 02:59 PM
tbtstt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNoobie
The JDM STi blobeye MY03 got DCCD straight away in 2003 didnt it.
Did the DCCD only come in on Sti UK spec cars in 2005?
Yeah; the '05 STi got a wider rear track, DCCD and I believe a slightly revised interior. I haven't had it confirmed yet, but I understand Subaru did some promotion with the PPP pricing in 2005, which is why the vast majority of STi's have the PPP fitted.

Good luck with your hunt SamZS, I'm looking to buy an '05 STi next month as well!
Old 16 April 2009, 04:02 PM
sammydice
Scooby Regular

Hi Sam,

I bought my STI in Feb this year after months of looking...

After a recommendation from this board I contact Rich from RRH Autos Ltd, he only sell's scooby and own's two himself...

He found me a real gem and wasn't over priced

Good Luck..

Ian
Old 16 April 2009, 05:29 PM
tbtstt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sammydice
Hi Sam,

I bought my STI in Feb this year after months of looking...

After a recommendation from this board I contact Rich from RRH Autos Ltd, he only sell's scooby and own's two himself...

He found me a real gem and wasn't over priced

Good Luck..

Ian
I intend to buy my car from Rich as well; I've had a couple of phone and internet chats with him and he's nothing but utterly helpful.

If he's within travelling distance for you then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.