Sponsored by:

Absolutely poo’d myself….

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2009, 11:16 PM
chiefs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Absolutely poo’d myself….

Drove into Central London today to pick out an engagement ring for the Mrs. We parked along Hatton Garden and paid the 40p per 6 minutes parking up to a maximum of £8 (1st joke). We strolled along the streets and found a fantastic shop; we secured an awesome Art Deco ring after chatting to the owner for an hour agreed on the best possible deal. (Learnt some funky stuff and now want to sell diamonds for a living, ha ha).
We left the shop high as kites, happy and content we’d found the right ring, even saw the same quality for far more money in other shops, result I’m thinking.
So heading back to the car I see some familiar things from earlier, the café that wouldn’t give me change for the parking meter and the old bicycle hanging half on the pavement, half in the road. The only thing missing from the big gap in the road was my car………. Ohhhh F^&K I definitely left it here, I don’t believe it, some scum has taking my baby from me and everything else I stupidly left in it….. F%^* F$%$ F£$£$...

Despite the million negative thoughts rushing through my mind I some how kept my cool. My fiancée looked at me with sorry eyes, she knows how much I love the car. I’m so sorry darling you’re car is gone she says… Stilling looking cool as cucumber, but wanting to cry like a toddler who just feel on their face , but I comfort her. (Obviously my new diamond selling coolness has begun).

I quickly called the police only to suddenly realise embarrassingly mid way through reporting my car stolen that there’s some worn out white writing in the road where my car was. Police were helpful gave me a number to call to see if the car’s been towed…. PLEASE GOD, a towed car is better than a stolen one.
Movie style the rains starts to fall on us and obviously my detachable hood for my jacket is in the Scooby….
Four phone calls later I get the nod; the car’s been craned up and taken halfway across London.
Another “proper” look around we see that we / I’ve parked one space too far along, can’t read the road markings, but some business only use space.

(2nd and best joke) £25 cab trip across London then £260 release charge!!!! There goes my new Whiteline components this month.

Found a couple of marks on the car so I’ll be claiming for every penny from the cheeky B&£%^&D’s.

Surely a parking ticket was sufficient? Scaring the living S£%* out me and towing the car away is over kill surely…
Old 27 March 2009, 11:27 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

You should try to claim it all back, i read somewhere that if road markings are worn or illegible they're not worth the tarmac they're printed on.
Old 27 March 2009, 11:51 PM
chiefs
Scooby Regular

The wonders of Google maps, I can't read that..... think you're right Mike.

Old 28 March 2009, 07:24 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try and claim it back - theiving barstewards
Old 28 March 2009, 09:26 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

That's harsh, bl**dy Southerners....

Sorry !

dunx
Old 28 March 2009, 11:24 AM
jayeastanglia
Scooby Newbie

that writing has been scrubbed out as you can clearly see a grey block line round the writing and all through it....you need to go back and take a few pics quickly to make a clear case for yourself just in case they go back and rewrite it back into the road.
Old 28 March 2009, 11:41 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

its not the marking onthe road thats legal,its the time plate thats the legal part !!!

as said though take pictures and appeal as you have grounds due to it being 50/50 so they should never have taken it if its not clear

though saying that ive just appealed against a ticket ive been given a few months ago for parking in a car club bay,,,, what actually happened was they changed the bay from a res bay into a car club bay and yet STILL refuse to cancel the ticket,,, cause the bay was ment to have been changed a month before EVEN THOUGH IT WASNT and they have confirmation that the road was painted 2 days before i was issued the ticket

its why i hate living in london these days,, its all about robbing you for money
Old 28 March 2009, 11:49 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Was the car on a flat bed or towed?

If towed check your diff, that could have been damaged
Old 28 March 2009, 12:11 PM
tee120
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Was the car on a flat bed or towed?

If towed check your diff, that could have been damaged
That's what i was thinking too
Old 28 March 2009, 12:41 PM
chiefs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tee120
That's what i was thinking too
Another classic conversation with the pound.

I asked was the car picked up or towed.

The reply "by tow do you mean pulled along?" OMG

Explaining the difference in plain england I got confirmation they picked it up and moved via flat bed.
Old 28 March 2009, 01:38 PM
klidder
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, did you not have a tracker? If you did, then why didn't they call you and notify you before you shat yourself?
Old 28 March 2009, 01:58 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Appeal but don't hold your breath.
Whilst the writing on the floor is not readable the plate over the bay is clearly marked "A29 Business permit holders only" and as you did not have a permit the vultures have towed you.
Given that you purchased a parking ticket, appeal on the basis that you acted in good faith and the writing on the floor was obscured but I doubt the robbin barstewards will allow it - they really are worse than the KGB!!!
Also have another good look around your scoob for more damage as some of these clampers/towers have scant respect for the cars they lift.

For anyone driving into London who is not a regular, the onus is on you to park correctly within the myriad of parking laws that exist between the boroughs and City. Parking in London is a business and niceties don't exist.
If you are not familiar with parking regs park in an NCP - it may be expensive but is cheaper than the alternatives if you get it wrong!!
Old 28 March 2009, 02:16 PM
Sti-Tom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would be gutted, defo appeal it is worth a go mate!!
Old 28 March 2009, 08:31 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to live in London. Glad I don't anymore. Still work in central London some weekends. If its a Friday or Saturday I take the train due to parking charges and congestion charge on a Fri. Sundays are usually great as parking is free in most areas. I think thats definitely worth an appeal, particularly as in good faith you bought a ticket. Problem is they already have your money and won't rush to give it back. However, its such a lot of money I reckon its worth the fight if you have the time and patience. Get back there first and get pics of bay as already said.
Old 28 March 2009, 09:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

TBH I wouldn't hold out much hope, the sign is perfectly clear regardless of the markings...

...and as for the damage, they'll just deny it saying it was there before or was done after. Your word against theirs ! Incidentally, look what was almost directly opposite the space....

:

FWIW, my preference is to simply not bother. I don't even go to my own city centre without very good reason. As far as I am concerned, the places and every business in them can rot.
Old 28 March 2009, 09:26 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a tough break mate. I work in london and have a daily fight with parking wardens and the boroughs. It has been and still is, the bane of my life so count yourself lucky that you dont have to deal with that all the time.

I did exactly the same things years ago. Went to the opticians to sort out getting my eyes lasered. But this time I had paid for a ticket. Came back to the parking spot to find not only my car missing but a completely different car in its place. I went fookin mental, thinking it had been stolen.

Then just as I was going to phone the police, I checked the number on the machine and sure enough they said they had towed it
Whilst I was arguing with them on the phone, shouting at them that YES I HAD PAID FOR A TICKET !! I noticed at the bottom of the ticket machine a loose ticket sitting in the tray.

Yup, muggins here had paid for a ticket and then forgotten to take it out the machine and put it in my car

£150 plus taxi and I had my car back. Lesson learned I guess