Sponsored by:

MOT Regulations

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2009, 04:20 PM
maccyp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT Regulations

Can any please tell me the MOT regulations regarding scratched windscreens. I have recently bought a used car from a reputable dealer and have noticed there is a large scratch accross the window from a faulty wiper. The garage have fixed the wiper but aren't willing to fix the scratched window. The scratch goes in a curve from the bottom of the screen in the middle to the top on the drivers side. The vision on the drivers side isn't affected but the scratch is huge. Please can anyone advise me?
Old 06 April 2009, 09:44 AM
Joeblunt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a case of 'Buyer Beware' you should have seen it when buying the vehicle, I dont think really you have any redress with the dealer as its legal. To be illeagal it must impair the drivers vision in the 'A' Zone which this is not.

My advice is right a nice letter to the Dealer Principal.

Say that this fault wasn't pointed out at the point of sale although they've replaced the faulty wiper (which could have been an MOT failure) nevertheless it hasn't made good the damage caused. Ask if they will reimburse you your insurance excess if you claim for a new windscreen?
Thats as much as you can do in my opinion.