Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby buying advice required...pls help!

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 11:59 AM
De@no
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby buying advice required...pls help!

HI Folks,
I am looking at buying a scooby but have never owned 1 before, I have been told of a few people that you need to know a little about them before you buy or else could come unstuck! I have got 6 grand to spend on 1 and was wondering if anyone could tell me what to look for and what to avoid, also what standard of car i would be gettin for my money. Cheers and regards, De@no. Really like the look of the 300 uk model! Any good?
Old 22 March 2009, 12:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
So as people will slate any new age model off your best not buying one at all....
Now that we have that out of the way
It depends what you want? The UK 300 is a 215bhp model in standard form and 245bhp with the Prodrive performance pack, its not quite as quick as its predecessors but it will still give you lots of enjoyment and you can have them remapped for about 650 quid, but that will increase your insurance.
Now the only points i make when buying a car (or recommending anyone buying a car) are:-

1. Check how much your insurance is, and is it apart of the money you have to buy the car with?
2. Dont blow all your money on your car, budget for a major service and any other item that may be wrong with the car (tyres for instance, and brake discs etc).

A major service is about 600 quid, tyres 400 quid, brake discs are... well pretty cheap, 100 quid gets you the fronts, then add for the pads etc.

Go have a look through PistonHeads.com :: Speed Matters for what you want, its a good starting place, full service history is essential in 99.9% of the cases, HPI is definately essential, you want an uncrashed car with no outstanding finance on it.
Otherwise these cars suffer the same as any other, clutches, gearboxes, alignment, ragged, smoking turbo's (blue smoke for oil, white for turbo gone, but not steam as you get on start up, thick white smoke).

Tony
Old 22 March 2009, 12:16 PM
De@no
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Tony and thanks for the quick reply, the insurance is not included in my budget so i got all the money to spend on a car.
Old 22 March 2009, 12:44 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

if its been modded, then you need to know wha those mods are, what parts were used and who fitted them
a standard car is like any other really - just look for the normal stuff
...a modded car can be anything from ****e to glorious!
Old 22 March 2009, 02:27 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If you are able to insure it the bug-eye STI is superb value, but I would say that....

dunx

P.S. Only if your family aren't bothered with ride quality and comfort btw !