Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Euro trip in an STI (bugeye JDM) anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2009, 03:51 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long Euro trip in an STI (bugeye JDM) anyone done this?

Hi peeps, i'm curious if anyone has done a long trip abroad in their Scooby's? i'm planning on a long trip to Cyprus in the summer & not sure if i should do it in the Subaru or just get a diesel car as the fuel bills probably murder me Also mainly i am worried what sort of fuel i can put in the car as it is mapped for Shell's V power & not sure what i sould do when i can't find these stations on my trip - i know i can put a substitute fuel with high ron but say if i am forced to put lower ron fuel will this effect the car even if not doing any silly speeds on the motorway & taking it nice & slow (would the engine be safe & not go bang? doing around 70/80mph for long hrs)

also has anyone fitted a tow bracket to the end of their STI's

Last edited by Timur 008; 09 March 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09 March 2009, 04:22 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Done a few Edinburgh to London trips with my UK 03 STI.

Main problems are shoulder pain from having nowhere to rest your arms and thigh pain where the bucket seats dig in a little.

Done a few miles on 95ron fuel at motorway speeds without issue as well.

Last edited by sKunk; 09 March 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09 March 2009, 04:58 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

i've fitted a tow bar to my WRX. no issues, apart from the fact that it doesn't look right. why subaru put the option on this type of car...
Old 09 March 2009, 05:02 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

You both given me good insentive to do this long trip i know putting lower octane fuel it will be down in power (currently running 345bhp) just not sure if it will be safe/ok doing a constant speed? i so want to do the trip thou don't care about fuel costs gonna be well worth it driving though the Austria mountains & German auto bahn & showing my relatives in Cyprus my pride & joy)
Old 09 March 2009, 05:04 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pakolainen
i've fitted a tow bar to my WRX. no issues, apart from the fact that it doesn't look right. why subaru put the option on this type of car...
did you have to cut away at the bumper to insert this or did it go on & pop out from under the bumper? - i so want to try inserting a one on my car - don't know if it would go on mine thou? it does say WRX STI on the rear - does that make a difference?
Old 09 March 2009, 05:06 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

I'm driving from Yorkshire to Slovakia in July!

Never done it before, but thought it will be fun. I will be taking lots of octane booster along with me!!
Old 09 March 2009, 05:06 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You shouldn't have any fuel problems in europe nearly all stations have 98, here in Germany we also have 100 at Shell and ARAL. I flit back and forth to blighty in my MY00 and have never had a fuel problem in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland or Germany.

I drove my XR3i back from Cyprus when I left the army back in 1992, along time ago I know but there you go. it took me 14 hours of driving and 2x 36 hr ferry trips to get back from Cyprus to Reading.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Wurzel; 09 March 2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09 March 2009, 05:17 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
You shouldn't have any fuel problems in europe nearly all stations have 98, here in Germany we also have 100 at Shell and ARAL. I flit back and forth to blighty in my MY00 and have never had a fuel problem in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland or Germany.

I drove my XR3i back from Cyprus when I left the army back in 1992, along time ago I know but there you go. it took me 14 hours of driving and 2x 36 hr ferry trips to get back from Cyprus to Reading.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.
You just made my day m8 i'm really looking forward to do this in a Scooby - my dad done this trips a few times to Cyprus & back to the UK & with me when i was v young & in the back of his 1.3 Austin Metro he knows about the routes & 2 ferry trips but that was way back in 1986 just not sure how its going to be now as the cars are more technical, i was in Turkey a few years back in a rental which i drove from end to end twice & that was an amazing experiance & thank God the roads have improved BIG time over there since i was there when i was a youngster - now you get motorwys like you do in the US (4/5 lanes!) still the mountainy parts seem really scary being so high up!
Old 09 March 2009, 05:31 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Timur 008
did you have to cut away at the bumper to insert this or did it go on & pop out from under the bumper? - i so want to try inserting a one on my car - don't know if it would go on mine thou? it does say WRX STI on the rear - does that make a difference?
My local dealer fit Witter towbars and if you look on Witter Towbars site it tells you mods needed to fit bar. The towing ball can pop out from underneath bumper and can also be detachable if required.
Old 09 March 2009, 06:48 PM
Spruxxx
Scooby Regular

Did a road trip for almost two weeks across England, Scotland, and Wales back in May.

No Shell problems anywhere here of course (but I also have every UK Shell station mapped into my sat nav )

Absolutely loved it! Europe is next...

The only 'problem' was my friend's diesel BMW put my mpg to absolute shame, he only filled up twice on the whole trip and I filled up every few days. Still, it was worth every penny on the B roads
Old 09 March 2009, 07:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I did about 2500 miles around Europe in an '05 JDM STI a few years ago. Biggest problem was a sore ar*e, they're not comfortable for long distances!
Old 09 March 2009, 08:20 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 09 March 2009, 08:54 PM
IRC450STI
Scooby Regular

Ive drove through europe 2 weeks ago from rotterdam to poland and back ,there are loads of shell stations on the way & others that sell 100ron fuel but i would still take plenty of octain booster just incase you do get stuck. have a good trip & enjoy
Old 09 March 2009, 10:21 PM
steviecrump
Scooby Regular

I drove my STI v2 to Morocco,had no problems, awesome drive down through Spain.
Old 10 March 2009, 12:16 AM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

Thanks for these replies peeps
I'm really looking forward to my trip in June to Cyprus
just thinking if i should now get a tow bar made (how much do they cost? for an STI as i can't find a tow bar for them?) & if i can sort them out poss bring a caravan or just drive down & stop off a hotels on the way or just ruff it out (sleeping in the car) decisions decisions..