Sponsored by:

Prodrive backbox, happy!

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2009, 10:16 PM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive backbox, happy!

I finally managed to snag a Prodrive backbox for my MY97 UK Turbo from ebay, and it has to be said, they sound awesome!

The car is running a stock exhaust system with the now new addition of the Prodrive rear box, and it's about perfect. It's not noisy at all in the car, it just now has a purposeful rumble under moderate acceleration and it's exaggerated the offbeat quality of the boxer exhaust note, it's louder from outside but not offensively so.

I was considering purchasing a stainless decat centre section and welding an aftermarket sport cat on it, but to be honest, it does me fine as it is, I wouldn't want to make it louder as currently it still suits the role of a daily driver perfectly.

Just a quick vid, nothing special to a lot of you admittedly, but it's mine and I'm well chuffed!

YouTube - Subaru Impreza UK Turbo with Prodrive rear silencer.
Old 07 March 2009, 11:55 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

UK MY97 with prodrive backbox and GSD3's, class

Got 4 pot calipers yet?

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 07 March 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08 March 2009, 01:58 PM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
UK MY97 with prodrive backbox and GSD3's, class

Got 4 pot calipers yet?
Cheers bud! Tyre wise, well spotted, bloody well impressed!

No four pots yet, but they're something I'd like to fit in the not too distant future!
Old 08 March 2009, 03:10 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

How much did you pay for the box, if you don't mind asking. I've got a 5 month old one off my Blobeye PPP I'll be selling in a few weeks.

Last edited by s70rjw; 08 March 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08 March 2009, 04:11 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Yep, would well benefit from 4 pot fronts.

You say the box is not noisy inside the car. That's because you have a Saloon. Both my cars have the same backbox but the wifes saloon is defo quieter inside than my Wagon, which has a nice purposeful rumble but gets well roarty with throttle use.

Thought "Spot" was a dogs name, funny name for a cat

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 08 March 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09 March 2009, 09:36 PM
Combat
Scooby Regular

His-n-her-scoobs,

It's quiet unless I have the windows rolled down, then you can hear the lovely throaty rumble reverberating around you, lovely! I bet passers by do wonder why I have the front windows down in such cold weather though!!! doh, now I look back, it does look like the vid is making out the cat's name is spot, it's actually Robyn! I more meant it like a spot the cat compo though, I think I'll change that a bit!

S70rjw,

The 'box I bought is an original fitment for a classic Impreza, these seem to go for a little more than the New age ones from my observations (been after one for the last few months on ebay!), that may just be down to the fact there are less of the classic fitment 'boxes to go around though. I did discover that the new age 'box will indeed fit the classic but with the secondary hanger reversed and raised. I'm a bit of stickler for original fitment parts though I finally got the 'box for £167 including the postage, I suppose that's quite a lot to pay for a second hand rear silencer, but that's where brand whoring gets you I suppose!

I'm happy with the result though, and it looks and sounds the part, and thankfully it seems to be in fine fettle
Old 09 March 2009, 09:40 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Combat
His-n-her-scoobs,

It's quiet unless I have the windows rolled down, then you can hear the lovely throaty rumble reverberating around you, lovely! I bet passers by do wonder why I have the front windows down in such cold weather though!!! doh, now I look back, it does look like the vid is making out the cat's name is spot, it's actually Robyn! I more meant it like a spot the cat compo though, I think I'll change that a bit!

S70rjw,

The 'box I bought is an original fitment for a classic Impreza, these seem to go for a little more than the New age ones from my observations (been after one for the last few months on ebay!), that may just be down to the fact there are less of the classic fitment 'boxes to go around though. I did discover that the new age 'box will indeed fit the classic but with the secondary hanger reversed and raised. I'm a bit of stickler for original fitment parts though I finally got the 'box for £167 including the postage, I suppose that's quite a lot to pay for a second hand rear silencer, but that's where brand whoring gets you I suppose!

I'm happy with the result though, and it looks and sounds the part, and thankfully it seems to be in fine fettle
Mine was replaced under warranty. Main dealer reckoned over £400 to buy officially through Subaru and fit it. £167 is a steal!!
Old 09 March 2009, 11:28 PM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Jesus! I reckoned on a wee bit less than that! in that case, £167 definitely was a steal! you've made me feel a lot better about it now!
Old 10 March 2009, 01:44 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

errrh, paid it bit less than that for mine.

£50 for one and £80 for the other. Am known for being tight

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 10 March 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10 March 2009, 03:30 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i wanted a prodrive back box but got one of these instead
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...0-inc-vat.html