What really happens when You Modify a Bog standard Car

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2009, 05:47 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What really happens when You Modify a Bog standard Car

Hi all,
Saw my friend today and asked him how his car was getting on ( Ford Focus 1.6). He replied its ok but I've fitted a K&N Filter to it. But It's knackered my spark plugs and HT Leads he said something about coils to.

He said it cost him about a 100 quid to fix.

Can this happen, I imagine the filter will only make it breath a bit better not to the point of burning out spark plugs. But If its drawing in more air would it increase fuel to compensate, thus doing this to the plugs.

I know that these engines (ford engines) aren't high stress engines like ours. And ain't really designed for hight power?

What our your thoughts?
Old 07 March 2009, 06:10 PM
jasongtr
Scooby Regular

£100 to fix, suprised it wasnt written off
Old 07 March 2009, 06:55 PM
scoobybreaker
Scooby Regular

Same as above! and never heard off that happening before?
Old 07 March 2009, 07:04 PM
StevoT2000
Scooby Regular

no i am sure a K&N hasnt caused the problems, probably just a coincidence?
Old 07 March 2009, 07:21 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

I like Fords & had 2 previously, but its a Ford after all!!!!
Old 07 March 2009, 08:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
What really happens when You Modify a Bog standard Car
If you dont know what youre doing, then you end up disappointed (and probably with a stupid VTA 'dump valve').
Old 08 March 2009, 12:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Duff HT leads on Ford Zetec engines are very common, they are also fussy on spark plugs (especially if they aren't platinum, as one can obtain much cheaper non-platinum plugs listed for these engines, I made that mistake - once ). Usually the two above faults make it appear the coil pack is at fault too. So the above should always be done before replacing or blaming the coil pack. Unfortunately tin-pot mechanics incorrectly diagnose the coil pack for the misfire, then change it and find the car still has a misfire, then sheepishly change the plugs and leads afterwards.

I however can vouch that cone filters on some cars can have interesting effects on MAF sensor response. Most of which isn't noticeabed by the average driver, but on some cars (especially with fly-by-wire throttles) the effect is more pronounced, where flats spots in power delivery at low/mid revs are noticed or the throttle pedal doesn't appear to be as linear as it once was before.

Also filters that do not filter as well (i.e let dust through, especially sponge/foam or steel mesh filters ) do coat the heated wire/film sensing probe that is in the MAF sensor with dirt, also oily filters (green cotton, KandN etc) can coat the sensor in oil. This affects the way it reads airflow, causing it to underread, as the sensor calculates air flow by the cooling effect of intake air passing through it; dirt/dust/oil insulates the sensor, reducing the cooling effect. Hence making the car run lean.

I wonder why the filter manufacturers don't tell you that?
Old 08 March 2009, 12:23 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Duff HT leads on Ford Zetec engines are very common, they are also fussy on spark plugs (especially if they aren't platinum, as one can obtain much cheaper non-platinum plugs listed for these engines, I made that mistake - once ). Usually the two above faults make it appear the coil pack is at fault too. So the above should always be done before replacing or blaming the coil pack. Unfortunately tin-pot mechanics incorrectly diagnose the coil pack for the misfire, then change it and find the car still has a misfire, then sheepishly change the plugs and leads afterwards.

I however can vouch that cone filters on some cars can have interesting effects on MAF sensor response. Most of which isn't noticeabed by the average driver, but on some cars (especially with fly-by-wire throttles) the effect is more pronounced, where flats spots in power delivery at low/mid revs are noticed or the throttle pedal doesn't appear to be as linear as it once was before.

Also filters that do not filter as well (i.e let dust through, especially sponge/foam or steel mesh filters ) do coat the heated wire/film sensing probe that is in the MAF sensor with dirt, also oily filters (green cotton, KandN etc) can coat the sensor in oil. This affects the way it reads airflow, causing it to underread, as the sensor calculates air flow by the cooling effect of intake air passing through it; dirt/dust/oil insulates the sensor, reducing the cooling effect. Hence making the car run lean.

I wonder why the filter manufacturers don't tell you that?
what a load of rubbish !!!

coil packs on zetecs are a VERY VERY comon fault on a 1.6 focus, i used to work at ford and sold LOADS of them, i still sell car parts and still sell loads of ford coilpacks,,, though renault pencil coils are the most unreliable

platinum spark plugs,, ffs learn about what actual spark plugs are and what they do

platinum is a harder wearing material, iridium ever better, normal bosch super plus are 1 year life plugs, platinum is a 3 year wear life plug thats the difference, the BEST plugs for a focus is NGK,,,, cause thats who make the ford plugs for the focus, the plugs are designed with LOADS of stuff into consideration, carbon fouling on the negative ( is the hook part) is now the isue with the life of plugs, denso patented V groove on it and so NGK ect have had to do it on the electrode but not as good,,, so they then added 4 prongs on the end of the plugs as electricity takes the sortest route and 4 prongs means 3 times the service life as the platium tip is harder wearing

cheep plugs work in a focus as most garages change them every year anyway so no point fitting super 4 plugs or IK denso plugs if the garage is gonna bin them after a year

plugs have LOADS of R&D in them, you can identify a plug and see what there designed for based on the location of the electrode and how far it sticks out

also the gap of a plug is VERY important, though most garages dont gap plugs due to the high quality ignition systems that cars now have compared to dizzy and dry coils back in the day,,, though when they get worn they require a higher voltage to spark

the most advanced plug on the market in a OEM car is a smart car,, it has a sensor in it to sence the temp of the plug and the voltage to identiify which cylinder has a missfire and why,,,, just wait till 2011 when cars become alot more advanced and see what the spark plugs will be doing then
Old 08 March 2009, 01:00 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

just wait till 2011 when cars become alot more advanced and see what the spark plugs will be doing then
Thats a bit specific, spill the beans as to what happens in 2011
Old 08 March 2009, 01:16 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Thats a bit specific, spill the beans as to what happens in 2011
I reckon they'll be sparking. Might even spilt the 'negative' and create a split spark. I've got a great name, splitfire! Ow hang on they tried that before! Sorry couldn't help myself.
Old 08 March 2009, 03:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

ooo tetchy.

In my experience with working and diagnosing Fords; Plugs and leads cause more alot problems than coil packs.

I don't need to prove or preach that.
Old 08 March 2009, 07:21 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i couldnt see a k&n doing that tbh . its prob just a coincidence
Old 08 March 2009, 08:11 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
what a load of rubbish !!!

coil packs on zetecs are a VERY VERY comon fault on a 1.6 focus, i used to work at ford and sold LOADS of them, i still sell car parts and still sell loads of ford coilpacks,,, though renault pencil coils are the most unreliable

platinum spark plugs,, ffs learn about what actual spark plugs are and what they do
Cor, I'd love to go on a binge drinking sesh with you

Old 08 March 2009, 10:29 PM
hoochydady
Scooby Regular

just maby he revd it lots and booted it around town thinking wow the sucking noise sounds good lol and now hes wimping about the missfire from it? lol