Thumbs down

It must be, because how on earth could the government even consider this

madness.
Old 25 February 2002, 01:19 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

15p a litre for petrol and free motoring on rural roads off peak sounds like the bizz though. Anyway - Stephen Byers said it won't happen before 2011, so it must be true
Old 25 February 2002, 01:21 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ill thought out stuff like this makes my blood boil!

Until they can get a decent, cheap and WORKING public transport system, they shouldn't even bring the subject up.

Like we don't pay enough already.

All the best,

Deano
Old 25 February 2002, 01:26 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Angry

What happens is this!

They(the govt) put forward measures that are soo outlandish there's a backlash against it.

They then say ok then we'll do this. Where this is a minor revamping of the original outlandish scheme. Since we were expecting the outlandish, we accept the revised proposal more readily.

E.g The Govt propose to put GPS trackers in cars and charge a certain toll per mile.

We all cry foul so they go away and come up with another proposal to charge us per a flate rate mile with no GPS tracker. We(the public) then think that sounds ok, because no way do we want GPS trackers.

The Govt then get what they wanted all along, road charging(or GPS tracking of cars for the paranoid amoung you).

The soviets used the same technique very successfully in the cold war, the Cuban missile crisis was the prime example.

The Soviets wanted a base in Cuba, but they knew that if they just set one up the USA would go ape and they'd have to dismantle it. So they set up a base and bought in nukes as well.

The Soviets then backed down, saying ok we'll get rid of the nukes. The USA goes ok then. The Soviets then end up with the base they wanted all along. You push two steps forward and get pushed one back, but you are still further on than you would have been.
Old 25 February 2002, 01:38 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

wow - sounds serious then.

Is it still not an infringement of human rights - privacy and all that. They must recon they can get more money than the 80-85% tax on fuel then.
Old 25 February 2002, 02:29 PM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Like good ole 'Stevie B' is going to keep his job in forseeable future. I think they need to bring back corporal punishment and test it out on him!!

Are they just trying to bring this country to a standstill or what??

The public transportation system is cr4p at best. Generally it's over-crowded, over-priced, and late. By announcing something like this, he desires to be taken out and shot!

In my case I don't need to drive to work, but I sometimes do to get over the monotony/poor service that is my rail network.

He doesn't need Jo Moore to make him look like a complete ****. He's quite able to do it by himself.

What happens when there are roadworks on these new tolls roads/areas do you get a rebate? Do you get money back when you diverted miles due to closures for repairs? I don't think so!!!

p.s. This is all IMO. Please read the label and remember that your mortgage is at risk if you don't keep up the payments....

Old 25 February 2002, 02:38 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sounds to me like one of those schemmes that would cost more to introduce and adminster that in would generate in revenue.

Makes me mad the very idea of it !

David
Old 25 February 2002, 04:25 PM
RogerE
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lets get this it to perspective.
The report was produced by professor Bragg of The Commission for Integrated Transport - whose role is 'to provide independent advice to Government on the implementation of integrated transport policy, to monitor developments across transport, environment, health and other sectors and to review progress towards meeting our objectives'
So this is not the Government's views or policy.

And as Shark says the cost to implement this, given today's technology, will be prohibitive. The cost of putting satalite devices in every car will cost 2 or 3 times the cost of the current road fund licence. The cost of installing monitoring devices on selected routes will cost a fortune. The IT system and ifrastructure required to support the system and collect the money from road users will take years to develop and implement. If NATS is anything to go by the system will be at least 5 years late and 100% over budget.

This report is pure fantasy.

Roger
Old 25 February 2002, 04:30 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Yikes,

[brave mode on]

Im actually for it.

1) should help to reduce the people who drive when they should walk. e.g. sun morning to buy a paper (this will have health benefits)

2) will make you think wont it!?

3) if road tax etc and insurance both become pay as you use (norwich union last week) then you WILL be able to consider having a fun car for when "conditions are right"

actually though, i wish they would just go back to charging it all on petrol, much easier. Who gives a sod if you use motorways or other roads.

Just put petrol up 100% and see if it improves the traffic chaos

robski
Old 25 February 2002, 06:39 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmm, i'll tackle that one then Robski.

1) Have it delivered by the paper boy, still no need to make the proposed change? (How many jams do you see on a Sunday morning?

2)Not that much obviously.

3) Not really, do yhou really think they'd REDUCE the likely total cost you'd pay to them.... This would be a method to INCREASE revenue. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

How would they charge for track mileage, who would pay for traffic hold ups caused by roadworks/accidents/bad planning/insufficient investment in building new roads?

Frightening that these people get paid more than I do!