API and the 6 speeder just fitted

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2009, 09:47 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default API and the 6 speeder just fitted

Morning

right then just a little update, on thursday i drove up to visit David and the guys from API to have a uprated clutch and flywheel and a 6 speed box on the friday. And i have nothng but praise and good things to say.

As i am sure some of you who have delt with API no this already but what service they offer. we were greated with a cup of coffee and a little tour of the workshop (more to my delight than my other half) and sorry for anyone who may of been trying to get hold of him but he took the best part of an hour to run me over what will be done and what steps/parts etc for a 2.5 conversion giving me an honest and truthful opinion. to top it off due to nit having a part required in stock out of his pocket rather than putting the job off he went and bought what was needed (might i add more in my favour and a loss to him) to keep the job on track so thanks.

he kindly dropped me and my other half off in lemington and picked us up at the end of the day when the car was ready. after another half hour talikng cost and parts for the conversion we went to set off and due to staying in a hotel car park even offered to borrow a disk lock as i forgot mine to keep the car secure over night and for me to drop it off on my way back home on sunday.

now i was a little unsure about a 6 speed conversion but i have to say i am mightly impresed with it, the motorway drive home was great idles 500-600rpm lower so does not seem to be stressing the engine at higher speeds and yes there maybe more gear changing to do but it feels as if you are more envolved with the car that you have to get on it more (if that makes sense).

so just a big thank you to all of the staff and David at API i have used many tuners over the last 4 years but none have come close to the level of service as API

Regards

and david will be awaiting your email with costs and break downs of the conversion. cheers
Old 02 March 2009, 10:58 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, API are one of the good-guys. David know his stuff and is a good salesman to boot! If you're happy with the car and are intending spending more money then it's job done. I'd certainly take my car there again.
Old 02 March 2009, 11:30 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Yes, API are one of the good-guys.
'Bout sums it up I think!
Old 02 March 2009, 11:33 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

yeah i will be using them from now on, david gives an honest and straight to the point answer with no fluffy edges. i had heard only good things about them but always thought they were to far away to use but they are def worth the extra drive and hope to be booking in again for some more work in the next month or so

steve
Old 02 March 2009, 01:24 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All good then Stevie??

They ALWAYS come up trumps the API bunch, my Subarus have NEVER gone anywhere else.........

Mine will have the PPG fitted i think, i,ve thought about the 6 speeder though, is it alot heavier Stevie than the PPG?? I,d guess a fair bit...

Last edited by Pete; 02 March 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02 March 2009, 01:44 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Pete,
The 6 Speeder is virtually bullet proof (well, certainly more than a PPG)..... the PPG kit is not. I know which one I would bang in.
Old 02 March 2009, 01:48 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Pete,
The 6 Speeder is virtually bullet proof (well, certainly more than a PPG)..... the PPG kit is not. I know which one I would bang in.
Shaun,

I,m glad you,ve posted, i was going to PM you about this...SPOOKY....

Is the PPG ok for mid 400s thouugh mate, or is it just a fragile kit in general??

6 Speeder, how much more difficult to fit over PPG ??

I,ve got to pop and see David in a few weeks time, so we,ll have a chat about things then..
Old 02 March 2009, 01:57 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know specifics on the PPG, but I do know there have been a number of failures. Certainly more issues with the PPG then I have ever heard with a 6sp. If I was spending that kind of money for a PPG, I would be looking at what else is around for similar money giving me better reliability. IMO extra weight does not come in to it.

Obviously with a 6sp you need to think about clutch and also matching diff's up etc. I have no idea about the costs involved.

The price difference may be huge.... I don't know.

Speak to David.
Old 02 March 2009, 02:03 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The ppg fast road kit is rated to around 450bhp, however they do other kits that will handle much more!

The 6 speed is around 30kg heavier and to fit it to a type r will need the gearbox, linkage, auto prop and the 3.9 r180 rear diff.

The 6 speed will probably work out cheaper and I would say the ratios are better sutied to a high revving 2 litre with a big turbo than a ppg.

Banny

Last edited by banny sti; 02 March 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02 March 2009, 02:15 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Cheers Banny/Shaun,

Appreciate that...
Old 02 March 2009, 02:25 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

form what i have come across the 6 speed is quoted form 30-50k heaier than the ppg, but also what i have come across is the ppg can suffer from the abuse and need 2/3 or 3/4th rebuilt/replaced as they can take a beating where as the 6 speed seems to take it al, plus not taht i ahev driven a car with one but they are emant to be noisey i recall a thread on here last week regarding a guy who is selling up as he is frustrated with the noise,

personaly from what i read and was told i went for the 6 speed due to noise, rebuilds of the ppg and the cheaper cost of the 6 speed.

not sure if you are based near me but you are welcome to try it out for yourself able see what you think, i was a little worried that i amy of made the wrong decision but after driving from API to startford then down to brighton and back home to windsor i am well happy with it and would not go back to 5 speed

all that imho

steve
Old 03 March 2009, 05:55 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6 speed in my Type R is great - although you loose the manic low gearing of the Type R though, if that's not a problem then it's good conversion.