Owning an oldie Vs a newie

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2002, 10:59 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Hi All,

Im thinking of moving into Scoobyland though trying to weigh up the brand new VS very old scenario. Basically I can afford either, though spending 7k on an oldie would require no borrowing of cash. But what are the pitfalls of a scoob with 90K on the clock? A new WRX would be nice, but Im thinking maybe a cheapie would be a better bet, being that Ill use it on track too. However Idont want it constantly breaking down/or having to replace parts.

Does anyone have any experience of buying one at this age, how did it go? Cheers for any help

Andy
Old 25 February 2002, 11:26 AM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy

With the Subaru secondhand market as it is.... You would be mad to buy new. Dont think you wont have to spend on a new car.. you will want some bits for it!!! get a fully sorted car secondhand and enjoy. My Legacy has 130k and is fine.
Old 25 February 2002, 11:26 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Shame search is still down as this has been done to death really.

I have a UK MY96 Turbo with currently 94,000miles... had it for a year and had nothing other than tyres and servicing and obviously petrol to spend on it. Went straight through MOT and a service the other week..

I think they are good for the miles as long as they have service history so you can prove the miles etc..

This is my seconds MY96 and the previous one had had a harder life I think with the tell tale stone chips and no history etc...
it met an even harder death... hit a VW people carrier head on.

I decided (must be getting old before my time) that I didn't want huge depreciation or finance so spent 8.3k on this car...
I love it... it has been reliable and never missed a beat..
Obviously it is not a brand new car but with the private plate on it my neighbours thought it was not that they are car experts mind!

Less chance of getting stolen or car jacked have to be an advantage...

For 7k you should be able to either get a MY96 with low miles or a MY97 with slightly high... or a WRX...

You could always get a small loan and spend say 10k and get a newer one with low miles as a comprimise?

Old 25 February 2002, 01:30 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I dont want it constantly breaking down
In the 3 1/2 years and 80,000 miles I've done (now on 139,000) in my MY95 it has never once let me down.
Old 25 February 2002, 01:59 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry if this one has been done loads guys! Thanks for the posts though
Old 25 February 2002, 02:25 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Depends what spec car u want. As you could get an Import WRX for £17k ish if u can wait for delivery. Thats a cool £4.5k cheaper than UK OTR list price and means (even if you dont spend the entire difference) you can afford to add a load of upgrades and individualise your car.

Barring anything I dont like on a full test drive when 25 (In 6 weeks time) I will be doing this after I come back from holiday. Then take it into a Subaru dealer and get them to perform minor cosmetic surgery on the exterior and interior. The hardest choice is going to be 17" OZ P1's or Superleggeras (on a silver WRX) - tough call

I will admit I hated the WRX (and still do in basic form) when it first came out. But looking at a few up close they look the business with a decent set of rims, few spoilers etc and a decent backbox to give the authentic impreza sound.

Let me know if you want any links of Importers.

P.S. Im assuming from what I have read that Subaru will have no issue adding their catologue of upgrades to my "imported" impreza? Anyone had any problems in this area?