13k wrx's

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2009, 06:00 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13k wrx's

hi all

considering getting back into the scooby scene, but since my my03 STI PPP a couple of years ago, we bought a bigger house and had 1st baby.

So, moneys a little tighter so a newer car make more sense (i think) than something a older and risk of more frequent bills.

new shape wrx's at motorpoint caught my eye.

what are peoples thoughts on these?

cheers
Old 28 February 2009, 06:07 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Personally I'd spend 13k on as late as possible saloon. The hatchback WRX has not been well received and even main dealers admit it has been a huge flop.
A test drive will leave you in no doubt and the boot is tiny.
All IMHO of course...
Old 28 February 2009, 06:10 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by homerjay

what are peoples thoughts on these?

cheers
Old 28 February 2009, 06:24 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

are they really that bad?

i the styling isnt much cop, but i was hoping the car itself would be fairly respectable. need to test drive one really...
Old 28 February 2009, 06:29 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

are they really that bad?

i the styling isnt much cop, but i was hoping the car itself would be fairly respectable. need to test drive one really...
The body roll and lack of burble are just the starters. As you say, take a test drive, and if you have offspring, check the size of the boot.With a buggy in there, there will be room for little else
Old 28 February 2009, 06:46 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

currently have an 3dr focus ST3 remapped but not being able to turn the passenger airbag off is a real pain with onl 3drs.

the 5 doors are what attract me, and obviously the pace (i wont be keeping it standard)

i just cant find anything else thats this cheap. but obviously if boots small, then its a none starter.
Old 28 February 2009, 06:50 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What else can you buy new for £13k with 4WD and 230 BHP ?

The styling is bland for sure but all the usual mods will work (exhaust, induction, remap etc) and I'm sure the handling / ride can be sorted easily.

The car has not been well received but there is a world of difference between paying £20k (now £17995) from a main agent and £13k for the same car from Motorpoint. At that price it starts to make more sense (or you could always buy a Spec D hawkeye for the same amount ?)

Trending Topics

Old 28 February 2009, 06:53 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

i do like the spec d, but my only issue is that it would be a couple of years old and the next service would be steep, plus chance of extra costs on brakes/tyres/clutch? dependant on mileage obviously
Old 28 February 2009, 06:59 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If I was in the market at the moment I would find the value for money aspect hard to resist. Experience also tells me that in three years time if you come to sell it, it will be worth pretty much the same as if you buy a 'UK' version. I am in the motor trade and it has got to the point where a lot of the traders who underwrite cars for me don't value EU imports at any less than UK versions.
Old 28 February 2009, 11:23 PM
.:mike:.
Scooby Regular

i do like the spec d, but my only issue is that it would be a couple of years old and the next service would be steep, plus chance of extra costs on brakes/tyres/clutch? dependant on mileage obviously
Offset that against the depreciation of buying a much newer car. Plus you've just said that you will have it remapped and have the suspension improved - in my experience that will cost you a few thousand to have done properly. Why not buy a slightly older wagon with all these mods done? It'll save you a lot of money. Another thing to think about; I would consider such things as tyres and brakes to be of little consequence when buying a new/nearly new car - after all you'll have to service the thing, and if you're sensible it may be worth considering upgrading the brakes with the power increase anyway?
Old 01 March 2009, 11:31 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I think 13k sounds like an absolute bargain for a new 2.5 litre WRX.

To me, it sounds like a cheap base to start modifying further from.

AFAK the gearbox is stronger on the newer WRX´s as well, so hopefully not chocolate gears

When you´re driving it, you wont be able to see it, so who cares what it looks like (imo)?

I´m not in the market for a new car, but if I was, i´d give a new WRX for 13k serious thought!
Old 04 April 2009, 07:24 PM
pmr01
Scooby Newbie

i seen the ads for these as well and it looks ok to me.

I phoned them and they quoted me app £13.8k on the road with the cat 1 alarm. Does anyone know what the differences are between the cyprus version and the ones in the local dealers?
Old 04 April 2009, 07:53 PM
stannah
Scooby Regular

Don't want to be screamed at for this, but have you thought of the mazda 6 MPS? Not sure of spec but i think it's around the 250bhp mark and awd. Just a suggestion.