Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

going to look at a scooby this weekend advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2009, 08:33 PM
acidstrato
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to look at a scooby this weekend advice appreciated!

noticed a silver 03 scooby wrx for sale at £5.5k fairly locally. it has 63k miles fsh and looks good condition from the photos.

is there anything i should look out for other than the basics? is the price about right? how solid will the car be at these miles?

i'm moving from a seat ibiza 1.8T that was fairly modified anyone moved from something similar? wondering how it will compare speed wise.

i'm interested in remapping, fitting an sti spoiler and changing the wheels too but thats all really

all comments appreciated
Old 25 February 2009, 11:02 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Have you got a link to the photos?
If the car has a service history and not abused, that mileage should be of no concern. Has it had the 60k service, this involves all the fluids being changed and around £450 at main dealers? The cambelt should have been done at 50k Bob
Old 25 February 2009, 11:13 PM
C_RHYS
Scooby Regular

depends how powerful your ibiza was, i know a few ppl with very fast ones. bare in mind that the wrx is only 220bhp to start with and not that light. handling wise though you'll love it.
Old 26 February 2009, 09:13 PM
acidstrato
Scooby Newbie

this is the car

will check out which service was last carried out then

interesting point actually, my ibiza was around 210-220bhp and about 200kgs lighter than an impreza.based on encounters in the past i wouldnt expect it to be quicker until its remapped too. main concern is will i wish i'd bought an sti?
Old 27 February 2009, 12:54 AM
STi boi
Scooby Regular

mayb?!!
Old 27 February 2009, 06:00 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Welcome aboard mate.

Ibiza 1.8t can be very quick cars with the right mods a bit like a WRX.
Power to from your current Ibiza the scoob may feel just a little sluggish.

If your on a tight budget and want a bigger car still with some poke I'd buy it myself. Going only by the pics it looks a clean example.

If your wanting that flat 4 noise at first start off with a back box.
Get a rear ARB and drop links

And take it from there mate. As S70RJW has pointed out mate make sure if it has got FSH then those have been done on the 50k and 60k mark as your need to take into account the added money to get them done.

When I brought my STi from another member even though it had FSH I didn't take the chance and booked it in for a major service for peace of mind know it was now done etc.

What's your location? Maybe see if anyone off here are willing to have a look with you mate? Just a thought.

Steve
Old 27 February 2009, 08:42 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acidstrato

main concern is will i wish i'd bought an sti?
If you're worried that you'd wish you'd bought a STi then you probably will as you'll always be thinking about it. If you can afford the extra insurance I'd suggest seriously contemplating a STi. You'd probably save money in the long run if you buy an STi as you can spend a lot of money modding the WRX only for it to be as good as the STi in the first place. That's my opinion anyway
Old 27 February 2009, 06:23 PM
acidstrato
Scooby Newbie

exactly my thinking, however i am on a budget and i'm not keen on paying extra insurance and tax. although in the futue i might spend more money getting more power but not alot, i'll be looking for a remap before i get home from the dealership
Old 28 February 2009, 05:44 PM
acidstrato
Scooby Newbie

well abit of disappointment today the car i initially went to view was a dog, it had obviously taken a bump on the back bumper and there was no attempt at concealing this.

so i popped to cardiff to the nearest dealership, they had a very clean 55plate wrx for £9995 in same colour with 40k, big difference.

then on the off chance i spotted a black wrx 55 plate, it had a prodrive spoiler and black stock alloys, with 60k on it for £8995.Black edition or is that bull? this has had its cambelt done recently but also has a full subaru service history pretty clean for its age only a few stone chips on the front bumper. I'm tempted by this if i could get around a grand off the asking price. however....

looking on the website, this garage have a blue 03 plate sti for £7495 with only 49k? this has also just had the cambelt done. i'm going to call them tomorrow to see why this werent on show.

what do people think?

can anyone tell me what the tax is on an sti? and what do you guys think about the wrx vs sti? big differences?

thanks people

Last edited by acidstrato; 28 February 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 28 February 2009, 06:07 PM
ze4s
Scooby Regular

All i can say is look on the forums to see whats for sale.
Ive seen a few 03 sti for sale at around 7k in mint condition.

dealers are still trying to charge top prices while private guys are getting realistic and some bargins can be had.

Dont rush its a buyers market, just go to the clasifieds on here and see how l0ng some of the cars have taken to shift.
If buying from a dealer then you want about £1000 off the listed price or some kind of long warrenty service deal
Old 28 February 2009, 06:19 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

can anyone tell me what the tax is on an sti? and what do you guys think about the wrx vs sti? big differences?

thanks people[/quote]

Take a test drive in both. The STI is far more focused. If you use it as a family car, you may find the ride somewhat harsh.

I went down the WRX route due to that. Now my warranty has expired on my 55plate WRX with PPP, I've upgraded the brakes (£671). Next month Milltek decat and remap (£1400) and then anti roll bar and droplinks, geometry setup (£375).

Its horses or courses, I don't regret going down the WRX route one bit