Suggestion for SDB

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2001, 05:29 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just had a thought(careful)
When a user first signs onto Scoobynet how about sending them an FAQ with the mail that tells them their password.

It could include a brief guide to what's where(what forum does what), answers to a few basic questions and generally make them feel at home, right off the bat.

Should take a lot of sorting out as 99% of the info is to hand but will make new users life a lot easier.
Old 04 February 2001, 05:44 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Great idea!!

Who fancies putting it together then?
Old 04 February 2001, 06:32 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I don't mind putting together a non technical FAQ. Can't beat the SIDC one anyway.

Send any inputs serious or not to me and i'll collate them
Old 04 February 2001, 07:37 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Top idea Neil,

Simon...

What about a techy bit section, maybe techy.scoobynet.co.uk?

I wonder if you could get the tech bods to come up with an 'upgrade tree', showing what mods do what, with explanations, and recommended packages, suppliers, prices (with ScoobyNet discount of course )

Maybe have lil pics of each component as a hyperlink to reviews Scoobynet members have written, we always want to be impartial of course

And...whilst my idea head is on, how about getting the suppliers to do a parts list and get people to vote on it for bulk-buys?
To make it a bit fair (i.e. loads of suppliers!) maybe they could take turns to do a special offer or something? (not sure about that one )

ta,
Matt
Old 04 February 2001, 07:54 PM
ChrisB

Sounds good.

Probably worth including instructions on how to post images, with a link to Mattski's new upload wizard.

Chris.
Old 04 February 2001, 09:39 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Great idea! Loads of potential. I don't mind lending a hand in the areas I know about (that shouldn't take long then!).

Hoppy
Old 05 February 2001, 12:19 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Hi,
I'd never used a bulletin board until I came on here, I must say it seems very easy to use and everyone seems really friendly.

I have just had a look at the chat room and I'm little unsure about what goes on there but then I've never used one of them either, perhaps some info on that would be good?

I would like to help with the site but haven't got a clue about computers really! Maybe i'd be a good guinea pig?

Bob
Old 05 February 2001, 01:35 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

May also be worth pointing out the search facility!!!
Old 05 February 2001, 01:44 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

and adding a list of acronyms used on the BBS.... e.g. BTW, ROTFLMAO, etc.

Old 05 February 2001, 04:07 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

OK, Here is a VERY VERY rough draft. I did'nt want to make it too long as it's intimidating to get a 50 page long welcome message. Hopefully it gives a lot of the essential information out. I aplogise in advance if i've missed anyone out.

Scoobynet New Users Guide.

Hi,

Welcome to the scoobynet bbs.

This short note is to help you find the answers to any questions you
may have regarding this bbs and

This note can't hope to answer EVERY question you might have, but hopefully it will point you in the right direction to look.

1. Ok I joined this bbs when drunk, but I don't have a Subaru. Does it matter?

Not at all. The bbs is open to anyone. Many of the prominent members of the bbs do not own an Impreza, and the cars owed by members range from Ford RS200's to Nissan Micra's.

2. What are all these forums for?

Usually the forum title speaks for It's self., except maybe 'the muppet show'. This was created for general Sillyness,jokes, frivolity and other such malarky. Threads posted to other forums such as 'My car is better than your car' etc etc will inevitably end up being 'muppetised' and moved to this forum. The general forum is just what it describes. If you can't find a home for your comment or question, and it's of a fairly serious nature then it goes there.

3. So what kind of people use the BBS?

It seems to be anyone and everyone. The WRC Rally driver Richard Burns has been known to post to the bbs occasionally and even reads it(although what he makes of it all is another matter ). The bbs also has regular visits from prodrive, Subaru dealers and people from all over the world, so there's a wealth of information out there. A fair percentage seem to be in IT, but don't let put you off. You will find people who can assist on pretty much any subject you care to mention. Like everything you get out what you put in.

4. What subjects/topics are inappropriate?

Although most of the people on the BBS are adults, there may be children reading so no **** or pictures of gore please. The use of mild swearing is generally deemed acceptable, but many prefer to use *'s to blank out the offending word.

If you have a complaint against a dealer or company, please try and sort it out with them before posting. Naturally use the bbs to check if what they are saying is correct and what your courses of action are but on the whole a good rule of thumb is to leave out the name of the dealer/company in question whenever possible. Of course sometimes name and shame is a valid approach to use, but it's nearly always best to try every other course of action possible before posting such threads.

5. What are all these grinning faces etc in the posts?

These are emoticons or smiley's and they show all kinds of emotion in the responses that text cannot usually describe. When you open or respond to a post you will see a little line of text called 'Smilies legend' and this tells you what each little face means and how to put it in

6. I see loads of pictures that people have put in their posts. How do I do it?

The easy way…

A user called Mattski has developed a most excellent little utility for doing just that. His instructions are found below

The way it works is as follows.
1. Go to the website and click Browse, select a local file for upload.
2. IF the file is allowed to be uploaded, i.e. you're not trying to upload something daft like an executable or zip file etc the system will save the file to it's disk.
3. The file is renamed to use a unix timestamp. i.e. say you upload scooby.gif the new file might be called 981158519.gif. There is a very good reason for this, it makes it fairly hard to guess what a file might be called plus it gives us some form of uniqueness (ish). Basically, it retains the extension and replaces the filename with a timestamp.
4. The system then displays some info, this includes the original filename, the size of the file, the new file etc.
5. More importantly it lets you test the upload has gone o.k... click a link and you're file will be displayed in a new window.
6. Also... it builds the appropriate ScoobyNet Image tag for you, simply copy and paste it into your post and away you go.

The URL is..