Sponsored by:

Screw Driven, ordered Sti7 today

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2002, 05:39 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Went for a test drive in a Sti7 Type UK Prodrive today. Wow! It was at Lancasters of Pangbourne and had a WR Sport exhaust which gave it 275 bhp according to the salesman (Steve Saunders). Compared to my 247 bhp MY99 Wagon over the same roads it was much quicker, handled better, had quieter suspension and a smoother ride, and no rattles. It just needed a decat zorst!!

The driving position is also much better. You can get the driving seat much lower than on my car, so that you do not have to drive with splayed legs! In fact I would say it has the best driving position of any car I have tried.

Lancasters had WR blue and blue/black Prodrive style cars so we were able to make a direct comparison. I preferred the WR blue version. The blue/black version looked rather drab covered in a film of dirt.

So I paid my £1000 deposit and ordered a WR blue version for delivery March/April.

I asked the salesman when PPP would be available. He didn't know anything about this, but mentioned something called Prodrive Direct? which appears to comprise some sort of direct link between Prodrive and the dealers for modification work to the ECU.

Sti7 1 EvoVII 0

Alan
Old 23 February 2002, 06:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Ahhhhh its good to see that you appriciate a good car all i have to say is that its a storming car and unless you drive one you will never know how good it really is

Tony
Old 23 February 2002, 06:39 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

You won't regret it. I had the 1000 mile service done on mine this morning, then took it for a little spin. The difference over my old MY00 turbo is amazing. Much faster, brilliant braking, better handling, draws more looks as you drive through town All I need to do now is to pop a new backbox on the thing to get some proper scooby sounds (the supplied box is just too quiet ).

Old 23 February 2002, 07:00 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
But did you test drive the EVO !!!!!

Maybe you'd have felt it was EVEN BETTER than the STi7 !!!!

Mark.
Old 23 February 2002, 07:06 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Mark,

you're a bad man!

When are you ordering your Evo VII?

Trout
Old 23 February 2002, 07:07 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I did test drive the EVO, but didn't like it very much. The interior is naff, and IMO it looks like a vectra with a couple of bodykits slapped on. Yes it was very quick, (possibly quicker than the STi), but I don't think I'd like the running costs etc (with my mileage I'd be having 4 services a year!!). Add to that the fact that actually I prefer then looks of the STi, that was the car for me. Both are great cars though.
Old 23 February 2002, 08:15 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Cool

Good choice and jealous as hell, still can't afford one but working on it. And to say the evo looks like "vectra with a couple of bodykits slapped on", how glad are evo owners that it doesn't look like the new vectra with a couple of bodykits slapped on, that would make it look even worse - if possible. Sorry to hijak can't help myself - lol. Hope you get it sooner rather than later.

Trending Topics

Old 23 February 2002, 10:26 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Hope to be able to comment myself soon on the UK sti.

I'm very much looking forward to my free day at Knockhill at Subaru's expence (April 7th me thinks). Should be a good day. Chance to "really" see what the new UK sti can do.

Now will I order one.Emmmmmm.......

My heart will probably say yes. But common sense may have to prevail at the end of the year and it could be the Golf PD150!!!

We shall see.
Old 24 February 2002, 12:04 AM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Iain, got to agree with you, except I think the interior of the Vectra is a tad better than the Evo.

I have had a couple of test drives of an Evo7 and I came to the conclusion I couldn't live with it. Where's my Nomex underwear before the flames come my way.

Now have 1,600 on the clock of my STI7 and it is just nicely coming into song.

Ken
Old 24 February 2002, 01:10 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Iain and Ken

Have you or are you planning any mods to your Sti7, e.g. exhaust. The demonstrator I drove had a WR sports exhaust but it was much quieter than the Magnex centre section (with resonator) and back box on my current MY99 Wagon.

Also, I thought my dealers comment regarding more direct links between Prodrive and the dealers for things like ecu mods was interesting.

Alan
Old 24 February 2002, 10:26 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Lemmy, my good lady thinks the exhaust is a bit too quiet compared to my MY00 Prodrive modded with SS backbox. Me, I'm not that bothered about squeezing out a couple of extra bhp or going back to the 'hear me half a mile off' exhaust.

I may go for an upgraded ECU, but I have no intention of being an early adopter. I'll wait and see how it turns out.

As I have been accused of being a bit of a tart (just because it has gold wheels) I am fitting a Prodrive spoiler to give the final touch (as per the Prodrive version). It is due to arrive mid-march. In the meantime my very nice dealer has fitted a DRM replica. Damn thing is hairline cracking where it bends up from the base after three weeks. Gets what you pay for I suppose.

Everything else I am happy with.

Ken
Old 25 February 2002, 09:52 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

No major mods planned at the moment cause it's so much quicker than my old turbo I'm not going to need anything else for a while, (other than the SS backbox I've got on on order that is ). Future upgrade plans include replacing that orrible radio, and perhaps getting the PPP when it is released.