Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do we think of this

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2009, 04:49 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wouldn't touch that with an extremely long bargepole.
Old 13 February 2009, 04:55 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

For the sake of spending £500 or so more, you could have a car that is right from the off...and won't end up costing you anything, which this car potentially could - although saying that, they all potentially could.

It's had an induction kit and exhaust system fitted for a good while without any sort of mapping. So what if it's been running lean? Also, engine bay is rusted to **** and the whole car doesn't look particularly well cared for...and with that mileage?

Could get an enthuasiast owned car which was mint, but maybe still high mileage for not much more IMO.
Old 13 February 2009, 04:56 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

You pay £1600.

It could cost you another 2 grand (engine ropey, clutch on last legs - bodywork) just to get it to a position that other cars of the same age are which are about 2 grand anyway.
Old 13 February 2009, 05:05 PM
flea
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say go see it mate otherwise how can u really tell if its buggered or not make sure u hear it from cold tho!
Old 13 February 2009, 05:09 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

It's not just as a project, it's what it could keep costing you the whole time you have it, if it's not been looked after. Could just fall to bits over time.
Old 13 February 2009, 05:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
For the sake of spending £500 or so more, you could have a car that is right from the off...and won't end up costing you anything, which this car potentially could - although saying that, they all potentially could.

It's had an induction kit and exhaust system fitted for a good while without any sort of mapping. So what if it's been running lean? Also, engine bay is rusted to **** and the whole car doesn't look particularly well cared for...and with that mileage?

Could get an enthuasiast owned car which was mint, but maybe still high mileage for not much more IMO.
I ran an my99 with a ind kit, centre cat removed and Mongoose b/box for 45K without any problems, MY98 has a decent enough MAF.

i read through the ad and it seems genuine enough, warts and all, does not look like anything is being hidden.

It is a 10 y old car with a couple of marks on it and a average mileage - worth a punt i think. I would rahter have an honest car than one possibly tarted up for sale.

Best to inspect is to see what sort of life it has had - wear and tear, the usual suspects.
Old 13 February 2009, 05:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Connor_scotland
What would i look for if i went to see it

Im taking someone experienced but i want to know for myself
It Is an old car so do not expect mint at that money. However,

Bodywork - accident damage, signs of over-spray on rubbers, panel fit, engine bay - over-spray, all straight - tow bar or mounting visible???

Interior - steering wheel pedals for signs of wear and wear - more that 120k's worth

engine and running gear
Check oil and fluids before start up. New oil filter/clean oil?
run from cold, listen for rattles, and knocks at one end, watch the exhaust for smoke (colour).
Let it warm up whist you chat about the car, get to know the owner and see if you trust them and what they say, take the ad and ask around the ad content.
Once warm take for a spin, does it drive nice, does it drive/break in a straight line with hands off.
Try to pull away In 3rd or 4th gear from standstill, it should stall, if it does do this the likely clutch slip.
If you mate knows his stuff then get him to smell the coolant and check for oil ingress or gas in the water.wheels - condition of them and the tyres - uneven wear and how much rubber left.

Check chassis numbers and Vin.
Any history with the car
Any receipts for recent work

There a few to get you started

Last edited by The Zohan; 13 February 2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 13 February 2009, 06:03 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

By the looks of it there is no history, and the seller hasnt mentioned the number of previous owners (unless Ive missed it).

Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find a cleaner one for similar.

Old 13 February 2009, 06:18 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Is it me or does it look like its had a fire above the intercooler? There is a classic for sale in the welsh section for £1500 and only needs a rear shock absorber.
Old 13 February 2009, 06:40 PM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

i would say go and look if its not milles away . sum times u have to look at a few **** ones to know when u have found a good one . if that makes sence
Old 13 February 2009, 06:50 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

just because the engine bay is dirty doesn't mean its not been looked after, i cleaned my engine bay and was spotless less than 6 months ago now its black again

looks like a real good car for the money & advert looks genuine

go for it
Old 13 February 2009, 07:44 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I paid £2500 for my RA a year ago December.
It was totally standard, perfect inside, underneath, engine was spotless, gearbox nice and tight, worth every penny. The front and rear bumpers had two scuffs, easy fix. It had 61k on it, with full JMVA cert for milage, and full jap service history.
What im saying is there is the perfect car for you out there, but it may take a couple weeks/months to find it. Don't rush it, see as many as you can till you find the one.
Then, like me spend a year and 4k on it!
Old 13 February 2009, 08:51 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

That's the problem, you could buy any scoob, from anyone, and it could go wrong in some way. You just got to do it and hope for the best!
Old 13 February 2009, 10:58 PM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
That's the problem, you could buy any scoob, from anyone, and it could go wrong in some way. You just got to do it and hope for the best!
u pays ur money u takes ur chance
Old 14 February 2009, 07:59 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

It does not look like a wrx import to me as it has no rear windscreen wiper think it may only be a uk 2000 turbo so not as ad says, it will not be the 285bhp wrx , but more like the uk 208bhp .

Are you lookin for a uk or import one as the insurance is quite a bit different have you had quotes for the two , also there is a big difference mechanically between the two , some people just put wrx stickers on and try there luck be careful don't rush in only to regret it , there are plenty of straight clean examples with history out there . Good luck .

Mark
Old 14 February 2009, 08:14 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Also aerial is on drivers pillar by windscreen which makes it uk , as the 1998 wrx aerial is on the passenger rear pannel by the boot !!!!!!!

Also the 97-98 models still can't be remapped so you have to buy a remappable ecu eg apexi if you want to go any further with mods .

Mark
Old 14 February 2009, 08:21 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Just seen at the bottom of the e-bay ad where the questions are he admits it a uk .

Mark