Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cant believe so few of us can take criticism!

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2002, 09:48 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in shock at 8 pages of thread based on people not being able to accept the verdict of a tv programme.

So I wrote my point separately as no one can be arsed to read all 8 pages least of all me.

I knew this would happen when I saw the programme.

I just wondered how many of you have driven both the cars.

Obviously as scoobynetters, you will be completely biased towards the impreza.

But none of these people had driven either of these cars before, yet it was pretty unanimous.

So either the evo is just "BETTER" or the articlae was a fix.

I suppose people started arguing about fuel consumption, service intervals and range later on in the thread, none of which was mentioned.

I am sorry to make this point, but is it possible that subarus arent the best car in the world?

I know this might upset a few people, but the fact is, it is all irrelevant, you try the cars and see which you prefer.

I havent driven an sti 7 yet and dont want to as frankly it is way too ugly for me. I have driven the evo 7, and was gobsmacked by what a car it is, truly awesome, and like they said, I could feel it fro the first turn of the steering wheel, and I am told it gets better with time.

I want to know where the written law is that the impreza must be the better car.

But no, it is obviously a fix, or down to the driver or tyre choice, there simply must be an excuse, or then again, perhaps the evo is just the preferred choice of the majority and we simply ahve to deal with it.
Old 22 February 2002, 09:56 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Adam,

Agree 100% with you. Obviously the 7 people they got to test both the Impreza and the Evo only thrashed each car around a track and hence gave their opinion based purely on that. They didn't have to worry about fuel economy, insurance, service costs etc. and based their opinion purely on what the car looked like and how it drove.

Now I have driven neither so can't tell you which car is best but I find it incredibly funny when people try and tell you a car is better than another car purely from what they have read in magazines.

All that aside I owned a MY00 Impreza Turbo for two years and if somebody offered me a choice between the two for free I would take the Mitsubishi every single time.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:00 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I agree as well. The program came to the conclusion (as we all probably would) that the EVO was the better car.

Seems that people wanted it to list other factors that would balance things out a bit... like living with the car day to day.... so that Subaru could have clawed back some of the ground!!!!

BUT THEY DIDNT SO DONT MOAN!!!

I thought the test was great!!

Jza

Future EVO VIII buyer
Old 22 February 2002, 10:04 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Adam,

I agree with you. I went on the internet 10 minutes after driven and LMAO when I saw 114 replies to that thread. Talk about being easily wound up!!!

I do have doubts with the program when they say 'The Evo SOUNDS like a rally car but the Subaru doesn't'. IMHO the Evo along with all the other 2litre 4wd Turbo's all sound like a normal family road going car except just louder. The Scoob though with it's falt four to me sounds like a rally car (just watch the KFC advert).

I have never driven an Evo but and I would not get into an argument about the two. I have to concede though the Evo performance wise must be the better car judging by comments made by those who can compare the two, it just sounds crap though!! LOL.

Damian.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:05 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

See me, loved it!!!!

It gave my mates a rare opportunity to have a dig about my scoob.

All harmless fun if you ask me, cleared the slate for me to impress them again with how my scoob doesn't understeer, how the brakes are brilliant and how it sounds the dogs Oh and also how people point and stare at such an ugly , undesirable, monster as it rumbles through the city

Roll on the next Drivel STi v EVO match

Mikey

Even my girlfriends mum phoned me to ask if I was gonna buy an EVO next. She then pleaded with me not to

By the way, Mitsubishi is an anagram of 5hiti-bumsi

Edited cos the swear bloking thing ruined the mitsubishi thing

[Edited by Gridlock Mikey - 2/22/2002 10:00:55 AM]
Old 22 February 2002, 10:05 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Well said Adam, you put into words what I couldn't be arsed to write.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:06 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

My point pretty much goes along with chucks.

My poor old 22B is old an obselete and obviously rubbish. Surely I should also be looking at an evo 7 or an sti 7.

Fact is, I dont give a damn.

Its all bollocks.

I reckon the evo is a better car and 95% of people who drive them both would agree, the other 5% probably being die hard scooby fans.

The fact is I am not 95% of people, nor am I 5% of scooby nutters, I am me, just like chuck is him, and dave t s last time I checked was infact dave t s.

No one can tell me what I like only what they like, and if they prefer the evo (which I definitely do) then good for them.

Trending Topics

Old 22 February 2002, 10:07 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

just want to add my 2ps worth, i agree, get over it

Cheers Fergal
MY00, and Im happy ;-)
Old 22 February 2002, 10:09 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

subaru is an anagram of u r a bus! whats your point.

btw. the mitsi does sound more like a rally car! The flat four is only characteristic of road going imprezas. All the wrc imprezas equal length headers making them sound like all other four pot engines. Incidentally, the on in the KFC advert has equal length headers too!
Old 22 February 2002, 10:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I agree entirely - after all, how many of us have driven both the STI VII and the EVO? How many of us have driven either?

Personally I like my MY00 Impreza, and of course I'm not going to sell it today and buy an Evo instead. It's still just as great a car as it was the day I bought it.

When I decide it's time for a change, I'll probably be test driving both the STI and the Evo, and judging both cars on their merits. I have no reason to be 'loyal' to the Subaru brand just because I bought one of their cars. It's not like either car is even built in the UK, or either manufacturer donates loads of money to my favourite charity.

The only reason I have to stick with Subaru is Scoobynet itself. If I eventually go for the STI then that's great; if it's the Evo (or a TVR, or a Skyline, or an M3...) then you may give me whatever verbal abuse you see fit

Andy.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:13 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

I was guily of responding to the other thread.

But not because I didn't like the result.

I prefer the looks of the Evo 7 over the Sti and if it goes better as well then great!
But I won't be getting either car just now.
(Still got a couple of years in my MY00)

I expected a big response to the Driven programme on here, but I was really surprised at how many cried "foul play".

Is this the way we want to be seen as a community?

Personally, I thought the programme was crap, but not because of the result.

Rich
Impreza & Evo fan

Old 22 February 2002, 10:14 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well said Adam!
Old 22 February 2002, 10:14 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Agreed. 100%.

I read some threads and the hosility shown towards other cars and people ('programs') that don't rate the Impreza as much as these posters always surprises me.

These people (and you know how you are!) really ought open their minds a bit.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:15 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Thats great, dont see why owning notowning a subaryu means you have to leave scoobynet, but it does seem that you get pasted if you dont!

ironically, I have been toying with the idea of ditching the 22B in favour of something much slower, but much redder, willI be snubbed because its not a subaru? probably.

I thought we were all car lovers on here.

ps. what was all that crap about owners being incapable of liking both cars? its either subaru or mitsubishi, what a load of crap!

I love both, I think I have made that clear (although I have been known to be anti P1 and anti bugeye, but thats my right!)

[Edited by Adam M - 2/22/2002 10:17:47 AM]
Old 22 February 2002, 10:25 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

Well said!!! I thought I was the only one whos getting fed up with the children on this board.

FLAMESUIT ON.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:31 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Adam

As you called......

Agree mate - sad, innit!

Two STi's on order, yet I thought Blowdog's Mak was *cool* and told him so...

Life's too short for all this

PS - I am no longer Dave T-S - apparently I am now known as the Canary Fairy doe to my kart suit (this thanks to my so-called team mates/friends)
Old 22 February 2002, 10:33 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dude, i gotta respond to this one

People have passions in thier lives, that you have to agree on.

Some people it's football, others it's cars, some it's wine, others it's beer.

Now if anyone were to judge your girlfriend/wife against another woman and yours came out second best, naturally you would defend her, especially if the panel of judges were virgins that had never met your beloved. If i said to you, "Mate, don't worry, what do they know" you'd still want to point out that your missus was a good cook, loving mum, brilliant lover etc. It wouldn't be sour grapes, just natural. Get my point.

Tell me you've never got a bit anti with a mate when he's started on your football team.

You've probably never met a team member before so why get anti?

People just do, it's natural so to say that "scoob owners" are sore loosers is, I think, a bit of a sweeping statement.

The freedom to express yourself is a cool thing, now if people don't like other people defending thier passions, via public discussion forums, either don't read the threads or don't comment.

I have driven both by the way and for fear of upsetting the social do gooders out there, i have my opinion as to which car was best and i ain't tellin ya

Cheers

Mikey
Old 22 February 2002, 10:40 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Mikey, I noticed you posted tha same reply in the other thread, and haev to say it is well structured and reads beautifully.

I do agree, and understand that to you have to defend what you care for, but then again, what if the other bird simply is better than your wife? are you gonna try out the other woman so that you can defend her from an informed position? I think not, or you'll end up with neither.

Passions or not, I dont think you can say that love for a car, can be likened with love for a woman or even a football team.

I am emotionally attached to ferrari 355s, I absolutely love them (especially when its cold ) but this is based on my thinking it is a work of art. I am still logical and consciopus that it is not the best car in the world, that would be nieve.

If people want to have a go then let them.

To me intolerance of other peoples views is what leads to all conflicts.

passion about football leads to hooliganism and violence, same goes for racism, sexism, classim etc.

so much better to rise above it all.
Old 22 February 2002, 10:47 AM
gibbo_ireland
Scooby Regular

Im really annoyed now I missed the programme! By any chance did anyone copy it or encode it at all? Really love to see what all the hassle was over!!!
Old 22 February 2002, 11:10 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Best is a matter of opinion, everyones entitled to one, we're all looking for our own special little mix of performance and compromises, (whether they be in a woman or in a car)

If you "knock" other peoples opinions expect to be "knocked" or even accused of being short sighted?

It only seems unreasonable when you start claiming someone elses 'opinion' is wrong?

Mike.
Old 22 February 2002, 11:10 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 22 February 2002, 11:15 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Adam M

Well said !!
Old 22 February 2002, 11:38 AM
Anthony King
Scooby Regular

I've only been a scoob owner for just over a year now and am still getting to grips with what my MY01 can do. I guess if I'm honest I am no way close to exploiting its full range of abilities and would probably get humbled by a good driver in a Saxo. I've been upgrading the bits where I can make an improvement (brakes, suspension, lights, exhaust & ECU). As soon as my current tyres wear out the wheels will probably be next as I've listened to the experts on this forum and will probably benefit from a different offset. However, as most IT people will probably agree, throwing hardware at a problem is not a good solution as most benefits are usually to be found in improving the software, and in this case we're talking driving skills and experience. If I'm brutely honest I would have probably got far more benefit from investing more in driver training and track time. I recently completed the entry assessments for HPC and that opened my eyes to just how much I have to learn here.

Worst still I have to confess that I still prefer my old porker (flame suit on) for the summer drives (I must be crap then!). I bet that if Penny took my old SC and upgraded MY01 around a track she would be happily lapping the Porsche. Worst still it might not catch that Saxo! Do I care, will it force me to buy a brand new Porsche - Nope as I dearly love that car and for me it fits like a glove and does the right things.

Will I change the Scoob for an STI7, Evo7 or other fast car - nope cos I suspect the difference is going to be minimal and in some areas my modded MY01 is going to be better. In any case I'm unlikely to be able to drive it any better.

Will I still watch Driven - yes as it's one of the few reasonably entertaining car programmes on TV.

Are there more important things out there - yes John Thaw's recent death was tragic, my son's birthday last week and keeping my business going in the current economic downturn.
Old 22 February 2002, 11:53 AM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

I expected a big response to the Driven programme on here, but I was really surprised at how many cried "foul play".

Is this the way we want to be seen as a community?
flamesuit on

Sorry but, as most Impreza drivers are probably aware, you are seen as being up your own ****. Take offence if you like but I am only putting down in words what lots of ppl think and what lots of ppl have said before in this board and elsewhere. If you cant handle it then change your car.

I have been on a couple of other boards today and a few of them are pointing to the HUGE thread and, as you guessed, are laughing heartily.

Adam (and a few others) have hit the nail on the head. Imprezas are NOT the best cars out there (careful you dont hit your heads when you faint) so get over it.

Bear in mind I am saying NOTHING new here. Impreza drivers ARE considered to be up their own ***** and I am merely bringing to your attention what is going on with the other boards.

Now we see how this is taken

Old 22 February 2002, 12:02 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

I agree other boards are havin a larf, but dont tar us all with the one brush, im a car fan firstly and I luv my scoob, but I can still appreciate the Evo... this board has over 10, 000 members and a small few have taken this review to heart, and to be honset i reckon Penny would drive rings around me we're not all WRC standard... this is life and still quite entertaining

Cheers Fergal ;-)
Old 22 February 2002, 12:03 PM
Andyv
Scooby Regular

This morning has been the funniest couple of hours I’ve had in ages. Reading the various posts and the passion therein has had me in stitches, rolling around my office. So now I’ve stopped shaking through hysteria I feel I need to add my insignificant thoughts…

I have a bog standard my99, which I love. It’s a whole lot quicker than most cars on the street and better value to boot. It’s not the most elegant of creatures but neither am I. I watch driven, read car mags and look at boards like this. I have thought about “upgrading” my Scooby and the two obvious choices are the uk sti 7 and the evo 7.

Almost every mag/programme of late has placed the two side by side and let’s be honest there’s not much between them. I’ve pretty much had enough of the whole process. IMHO the only thing that happened last night of any real interest was the dumbing down of driven, which is a shame coz it used to be quite good.

Never mind, keep the posts flowing, it’s great reading.
Old 22 February 2002, 12:06 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I cant believe we are even discussing this !!! LOL

Driven is crap ! but i thought that before last nights program !

Personally, i like the EVO7, havent driven one yet, but wouldnt turn down the chance ! Have been in an EVO6 and liked it ! was certainly capable and quick, sounded naff, but then thats not what i base my buying decision on ! If you do a lot of miles, neither car is going to be particularly efficient ! but then thats not what they are built for !

I have driven an MY02 STi but it was far from standard.

There are more important things in life than worrying about what x thinks about y's car ! You buy your car ! not anybody else ! so if you like it, you like it ! if you dont you sell it !

If you are worried about insurance, fuel consumption etc etc then why buy a performance car at all !

(cant believe i am actually agreeing with Adam !!! LOL)

[Edited by Ian Cook - 2/22/2002 12:08:34 PM]
Old 22 February 2002, 12:08 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Impreza drivers ARE considered to be up their own *****
I love with when a bunch of sweeping statements lead to other sweeping statements

But you are probably right ... damn
Old 22 February 2002, 12:13 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

What an entertaining mornings reading! As has been said before, I've had a right giggle reading the posts. This one of Adams seems to be the only one worth replying to, as it has a seemingly balabced perspective on things.

Subaru owners seem to have a rather over-inflated opinion of their cars breadth of ability, and assume that there is nothing out there that could possibly compete, let alone beat their precious flat fours. Well, if any of them that actually has any appreciation for the skill of driving got behind the wheel of any Evo, be it 1-7, they would be in for an eye opening experience.

Sure, you all love your Imprezas, and Yes, they are good cars, but the childish ranting on the other thread just about sums up the mental level of a lot of people on here. The day that someone says, "Yes, the Evo is a better car, but I just like mine because it's mine, and I accept its shortcomings" will be fantastic.

My STI had shortcomings, but I still loved it to bits. The 22B that I drive occasionally has its faults, but that doesn't make it shonky. If you're happy with your Subaru, regardless of MY or spec, then great. Keep hold of it and be happy. You have a great performance saloon. Its just not as good as the Evo. Period

Matt

Old 22 February 2002, 01:18 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

I agree other boards are havin a larf, but dont tar us all with the one brush, im a car fan firstly and I luv my scoob, but I can still appreciate the Evo... this board has over 10, 000 members and a small few have taken this review to heart

love with when a bunch of sweeping statements lead to other sweeping statements

Yes it is a sweeping statement but I cant help the general view. I didnt coime up with it, I am just laying it down on this board what others are thinking or saying.

I know there are plenty of Subaru drivers who are not like this but its always the minority that seem to spoil it as normal.

Quick Reply: I cant believe so few of us can take criticism!