Sponsored by:

News from Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2009, 09:53 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default News from Subaru

Price of New WRX same as the original WRX !!!!

Subaru Impreza Drivers Club - Celebrating 15 Years of the Impreza Turbo
Old 31 January 2009, 07:27 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good price. Is the credit cruch biting that hard, or are the new hatch's just that unloved.

The price of the original Turbo 2000 was overpriced though IMO
Old 31 January 2009, 08:07 AM
MrLouKnee
Scooby Regular

they cant even give the things away
Old 31 January 2009, 10:30 AM
JonnyFresh
Scooby Regular

Can I be the first to point out the few timeline errors on the classic scoob? lol.
Old 31 January 2009, 10:40 AM
SPG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamtripper
Can I be the first to point out the few timeline errors on the classic scoob? lol.
I know they were struggling to find a standard 94my in time for the photo shoot so they had to use what they could find.
Old 31 January 2009, 10:44 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
That's a good price. Is the credit cruch biting that hard, or are the new hatch's just that unloved.

The price of the original Turbo 2000 was overpriced though IMO
I think it's a combination of the credit crunch and the fact that new car is poor by any standards. It doesn't have any identity in the marketpleace any more and there are better cars for the same or less money. Sad, but true.
Old 31 January 2009, 11:23 AM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Quote from the press release:
"This great offer is the last chance for UK customers to buy into the legendary turbocharged WRX brand – as no more WRX Turbos will be built for sale in the UK."

Are they replacing it with something else then or just giving up trying to sell the WRX?

Last edited by carl555; 31 January 2009 at 11:30 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 31 January 2009, 11:41 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl555DBM
"This great offer is the last chance for UK customers to buy into the legendary turbocharged WRX brand – as no more WRX Turbos will be built for sale in the UK."

Are they replacing it with something else then or just giving up trying to sell the WRX?
I remember a while ago someone mentioned that they are trying to move away from the boy racer image and as a result they wont be making hot hatches anymore.
Could be wrong but with the WRC fiasco it sounds like it could be true.
Old 31 January 2009, 01:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

No, they are probably going bust. And I am only half joking.

As much as I love the Subaru brand I have to say the new model and their new direction to try and move away from the boy racer image is one of the most spectacular backfires in the recent motoring history.

They have only themselves to blame.
Old 31 January 2009, 01:38 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
No, they are probably going bust. And I am only half joking.

As much as I love the Subaru brand I have to say the new model and their new direction to try and move away from the boy racer image is one of the most spectacular backfires in the recent motoring history.

They have only themselves to blame.
I read the other day that Subaru were the only major manufacturer to have increased sales in 2008 in the USA (a much bigger market, I imagine). I think it's only the UK where they are unloved.

The Drivers Republic Hot Hatch test posted yesterday puts the WRX-S top, so the car may not be as bad as we think.
Old 31 January 2009, 02:24 PM
colapepsi
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say, why would I want to go out and spend £17,998 when I could buy a year old euro import for seven grand less with only eight thousand on the clock.

£17,998 could buy a decent hawkeye sti with very low mileage. Subaru have themselves to blame, they clearly learn`t nothing with the bugeye and now they give us a horrible hatch thing!!!

The market place is flooded with secondhand impreza`s and the people that go out and buy one tend to know a thing or two about cars. To sum it up you have a ugly looking car that costs far too much to insure and tax and was always going to fail.
Old 31 January 2009, 02:25 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it's not it's a brilliant car and what ever subaru do it won't be right in some peoples eyes
Old 31 January 2009, 02:27 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Subaru is the best brand car I have ever owned, it is the fastest and the most reliable - a fantastic and rare combination.

The Impreza Turbo was an Icon of its Era and now it has grown up into what many see as a very capable car, devoid of Gold wheels and PushChair Spoilers which are so, so, dated.

That said, the Classic is just that - a Classic. The others, Bug Eye, Blob Eye and Hawk Eye did nothing for the Marque. The Hatchback is so different that it could easily have been branded under a different name.

Will I be taking Subaru up on their offer of a 'Limited Run' of 555 Impreza's at £17,998 OTR? Nah, don't think so ...... 555 is hardly a 'limited' number is it? And the 1 year old cars have now seen even more of a drop in price!

I will hate to see the Impreza Turbo disappear from the new car lists in the UK, but - times move on ..... there are other, very capable, cheaper, cars to choose from now.

But, none will be a Subaru - none will be an Icon and none will stir the soul quite like an Impreza Turbo in full flight
Old 31 January 2009, 02:41 PM
Syph
Scooby Regular

I might be swayed if they were to produce a saloon model tho.
the interior of the new scoob is very nice they just ruined the outside. it just doesnt look like an impreza anymore.
Old 31 January 2009, 02:41 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Whats the shelf life of ScoobyNet if there wont be a new supply of scoobs to fill the boots of a dying brand?
Old 31 January 2009, 02:46 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Subaru is the best brand car I have ever owned, it is the fastest and the most reliable - a fantastic and rare combination.

The Impreza Turbo was an Icon of its Era and now it has grown up into what many see as a very capable car, devoid of Gold wheels and PushChair Spoilers which are so, so, dated.

That said, the Classic is just that - a Classic. The others, Bug Eye, Blob Eye and Hawk Eye did nothing for the Marque. The Hatchback is so different that it could easily have been branded under a different name.

Will I be taking Subaru up on their offer of a 'Limited Run' of 555 Impreza's at £17,998 OTR? Nah, don't think so ...... 555 is hardly a 'limited' number is it? And the 1 year old cars have now seen even more of a drop in price!

I will hate to see the Impreza Turbo disappear from the new car lists in the UK, but - times move on ..... there are other, very capable, cheaper, cars to choose from now.

But, none will be a Subaru - none will be an Icon and none will stir the soul quite like an Impreza Turbo in full flight
It saddens me to say this but your not far wrong, the new car is good, but it is too far removed from the original the Impreza that the name gained 'legend' status with.

I have supported the change as something needed to be done to boost sales, but I have never once slagged it off for being 'ugly' it's just different to what we're used to.

Eveyone say's the Hawkeye was better and why change it, the fact is sales we're in decline so something radical had to be done, Subaru we're brave enough to give it a go and try a keep up wih current buying trends and ok perhaps it has'nt worked, but it's still a fantastic car, it still has a Subaru AWD system and a Subaru Boxer Engine and that still makes it unique in my opinion.
Old 31 January 2009, 05:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

WRC coverage on the BBC showed a bug-eye, nuff said !

dunx

P.S. Our club has as many classics as it does bug-eyes !
Old 31 January 2009, 06:38 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Syph
I might be swayed if they were to produce a saloon model tho.
the interior of the new scoob is very nice they just ruined the outside. it just doesnt look like an impreza anymore.
thats just moving with the times, i dare say a new mondeo doesn't look like a 15 year old one either but if subaru still made the classic we would all be saying "why don't they update it" or "it's out of touch" which in my opinion when you look at one it is dated.
underneath though it still has the flat 4 engine the 4wd system and the same brilliant road holding all that has changed really is the body so it's not that far from the classic at heart.
Old 31 January 2009, 07:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

There is a saloon version, it just isn't sold in the UK. It's as ugly as the hatchback though so no loss
Old 31 January 2009, 08:36 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would you pay £17,995 for something you can buy from Motorpoint for £12,995 ?

I know they are Euro imports but do you think it will make £5k difference when you sell it ?

I am not keen on the looks but at £13k new what else can you buy with 230 BHP, 4WD and a Turbo ? Easily and cheap to tune as well.
Old 31 January 2009, 09:12 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheVoices
I know they are Euro imports but do you think it will make £5k difference when you sell it?
If you sell on the day you buy - yes.

Of course, as it ages the difference will narrow ..... but there will always be a difference.
Old 01 February 2009, 08:50 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
If you sell on the day you buy - yes.

Of course, as it ages the difference will narrow ..... but there will always be a difference.
It used to be the case, several years in the motor trade has shown me that it has now got to the point where it makes almost no difference on sub £10k cars !

We have taken various Euro imports in part exchange (Ford, Vauxhall, Renault, etc) and the underwrites we get don't vary whether they are UK supplied or 'UK spec' imports.

If you buy the UK WRX for £18k now and sell it in three years it might be worth £500-£1000 more than the Motorpoint car but don't count on it !

At £13k new and a couple of grand to get more power and sharper handling it starts to look a bargain to me ?
Old 01 February 2009, 10:02 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

They'd be better off rolling back the model, not the price!

That new thing is hideous and was only brought out to compete in WRC and now they've pulled out of that. I actually saw my first one on the road yesterday, sales must be picking up.

Due to new tax rules and the ugly new model I will be keeping my reliable, cheap to run classic on the road until it gives up. There's no value to it now anyway, so there's no point in seeling it while it's still worth something.
Old 02 February 2009, 09:34 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I think what Subaru should of done was to bring out the 'hatch' along side with the Hawkeye and see how the sales went. If they had brought the saloon to the UK I am sure things would of been different, they may have even sold a few more than an handful.
Old 02 February 2009, 11:37 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I was wondering how many people who don't like the look of the " hatch " have driven one.
I have had a 98 Classic from new, when you had to wait 10 to 12 months for delivery, a great car for the 5 years i had it, i was'nt over impressed with the look of the new car,but gave it a test drive a 2.5 WRX & a STI on the same day, they were worlds apart.
I then tried an S GT, which i think sits between the above models, & i bought it.
My point is there are a lot of odd shaped cars out there, which are dismissed when looking for another car, but unless you try they well might be a hidden gem.
The S GT is the same road tax as a classic,& does come with a switchable ECO mode, which i reguarly get 29-31 mpg. Not bad for a Impreza with 260 bhp, & normal unleaded fuel.
Old 02 February 2009, 11:40 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Looking at that photo - what a backward step!
Old 02 February 2009, 11:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
I was wondering how many people who don't like the look of the " hatch " have driven one.
I have had a 98 Classic from new, when you had to wait 10 to 12 months for delivery, a great car for the 5 years i had it, i was'nt over impressed with the look of the new car,but gave it a test drive a 2.5 WRX & a STI on the same day, they were worlds apart.
I then tried an S GT, which i think sits between the above models, & i bought it.
My point is there are a lot of odd shaped cars out there, which are dismissed when looking for another car, but unless you try they well might be a hidden gem.
The S GT is the same road tax as a classic,& does come with a switchable ECO mode, which i reguarly get 29-31 mpg. Not bad for a Impreza with 260 bhp, & normal unleaded fuel.
The way it looks and how it drives are not related. If it drives well it doesn't suddenly look better does it?
Old 02 February 2009, 12:53 PM
jimbob9875
Scooby Regular

I THINK THEY ARE GIVING UP ON THE WRX
NOW THEY PULLED OUT OF WRC

BUT I HAVE SEEN A PRO MO FOR A NON TURBO STI THEY ARE DOIN FOR THE S2000 RALLT

Impreza NA Concept by STI
197 bhp / 196 Nm

SEE THIS THREAD

Impreza NA Concept by STI - .:ImprezaSport.net Forums:.

THIS IS WHAT I THINK THEY ARE REPLACING THE WRX WITH

JAMIE

Last edited by jimbob9875; 02 February 2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: PICYS DONT WORK
Old 02 February 2009, 02:05 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
I have driven the new hatch (STi and 330) and yes, you have to drive the new impreza to realise that it is a loverly and smooth drive with the ability to scare quite a few cars on the road.