Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would any1 be up for a swap with my exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2009, 03:58 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would any1 be up for a swap with my exhaust?

i have a 3" jasma exhaust all the way with no cats or resonators. the back box has the authentication embeded on the backbox, its too loud for me wouldnt mind a swap with something not toooo loud. its louder than the H&S system and blitz.
Old 28 January 2009, 04:01 PM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

What year is it off and what condition ?
Old 28 January 2009, 04:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youre unlikely to get anything thats much quieter. Te reason is that JASMA is an approval (a bit like a kit mark) body for aftermarket exhausts that are road legal in Japan, rather than a manufacturer. Virtually of of our aftermarket exhausts wouldnt be approved...
Old 28 January 2009, 04:06 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

good question lol, it will fit 93-00 classics. the condition is excellent the backbox is all shiny no damage
Old 28 January 2009, 04:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

So: I didnt read that properly did I? The Japanese Automotive Sports Muffler Association test aftermarket exhausts to ensure that they comply with the appropriate laws. Loud exhausts will not be able to achieve JASMA approval and any system that includes a de-cat downpipe and lacks a resonator wont be approved. I expect that you have an approved (and relatively quiet) rear section with seperately sourced downpipe and front section.

You will be able to quieten it down to an acceptable level by fiting a resonated centre and it its still too loud, by fitting a standard rear box. Its not really the JASMA approved part thats making it noisy though...

Simon
Old 28 January 2009, 04:17 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

oh mr when i say its loud it is loud, the resonators and the cat has been removed. at southend a lad with blitz on his was asking me what i have coz he couldnt hear his while i was parked nx to him ..too loud for a women
Old 28 January 2009, 04:22 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Anything will be loud without any catalytic convertors or resonators in, even the standard pea shooter rear box. To quieten it down without losing the extra performance you will need to add a resonated centre. The point is that JASMA rear sections are quiet; its the other non-approved parts that are making your car too loud.

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2009, 04:37 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

its jus so loud and raw. i get well scared when it explodes
Old 28 January 2009, 04:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I'll revise what I said above from anything will be louder even a standard pea shooter, to even with a standard rear section its still going to be a good deal louder without a cat and a resonator. Try having a (really quite cheap) resonated centre fitted: itll mke a massive difference and not cost much.
Old 28 January 2009, 04:51 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

Nooo i want to change it
Old 28 January 2009, 07:04 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

I would think that your best bet would be for a Prodrive back box. This will give you the flat four burble, but even with a full de-cat and straight through centre section, it really is NOT very loud.

I have recently removed mine as I thought it was too quiet

I have one, but it is a 2.5" system, but I dont think it would be too difficult to make it fit, there is a guy near me that would be able to mate it to your 3" centre section.

Let me know if you are interested.

Jason
Old 28 January 2009, 07:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Not so. A JASMA exhaust is no louder than a Prodrive box. This exhaist is loud because the resonator has been removed along with the cat. It would be loud with a standard back box!
Old 28 January 2009, 07:20 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

I am not going to get into an argument with you, but the Prodrive back box with a full de-cat and NO resonator in the centre section is not very much louder than standard, just releases more of the burble.

I am not sure what you have been listening to, but I am talking from experience having made the move from standard to the Prodrive back box and full decat

Please also not that Kareena says that it is louder than a Blitz which is generally regarded as being one of the loudest there is. If this is the case, then the Prodrive will be massively quieter. Fact.

Jason

Last edited by jsh1; 28 January 2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added some more info
Old 28 January 2009, 08:09 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jsh1
I am not going to get into an argument with you, but the Prodrive back box with a full de-cat and NO resonator in the centre section is not very much louder than standard, just releases more of the burble.

I am not sure what you have been listening to, but I am talking from experience having made the move from standard to the Prodrive back box and full decat

Please also not that Kareena says that it is louder than a Blitz which is generally regarded as being one of the loudest there is. If this is the case, then the Prodrive will be massively quieter. Fact.

Jason
Which downpipe etc did you go for? I'll be going down the Milltek full decat route but would like to keep my Prodrive back box. Interesting to hear its quiet but with the burble....exactly what I want
Old 28 January 2009, 08:24 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

ok how about i put up a video of it idling, reving & on boost? its so loud that pedestrians jump back of the road even when the man is green.
Old 28 January 2009, 08:31 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jsh1

Jason
Its a JASMA approved box and that is no louder than a Prodrive box. 'JASMA Highway' is a standard and lod boxes do not pass. Hence: swapping one reasonably quiet box for another WILL NOT quieten the car down. Fitting a resonator WILL and itll make very little difference to the cars performance, if any.

Thanks for trying to show me how to suck eggs Jason, but you failed.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:05 PM
dan83590
Scooby Regular

GC8, your special 'code' typing that nobody else can see is working here for some reason. From here it looks like you are saying. THE JASMA STAMPED TAILPIPE IS A JAP APPROVED NOISE REGULATED EXHAUST AND THAT PART IS NOT THE PROBLEM. THE PROBLEM IS THE ABSENCE OF A RESONATED CENTER SECTION. FIT ONE OF THESE AND THE EXCESSIVE NOISE WILL GO AWAY.

I had a Jasma on my classic with a resonated center and it sounded fine. Deffo not loud, just right I thought.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I was trying to be really clear too... That is what I meant, yes.

Simon
Old 28 January 2009, 09:34 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

when my boyfriend looked underneath he said that to pipes had been welded on the centre section & der is an aftermarket dowpipe with no cat.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:40 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Exhausts break down (and clog up) with age and become louder? That would explain the problem that the OP is having. My guess is that a new rear silencer woud make it quieter, irrespective of Jasma/ Uk standard.

edit: Just read the last post. So... It's bits of various sytems welded together? May be tricky to replace part of it without surgery.....

Last edited by RedScoob; 28 January 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:41 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Keep it!!!! Scare old people and small children!!!
Old 28 January 2009, 09:46 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

Originally Posted by scoobymad555
Keep it!!!! Scare old people and small children!!!
it brings too much attention, specially when it explodes....ive had people come up and say "your points are gone love"

dont want to give anyone a heart attack now do i.
Old 28 January 2009, 09:51 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KareenaBaby
it brings too much attention, specially when it explodes....ive had people come up and say "your points are gone love"

dont want to give anyone a heart attack now do i.

boring ..... could always try one of those cheapie exhaust bungs off fleabay? .... must admit i'm plannin on getting one to stash in the boot for emergency "sorry officer" moments lol!
Old 28 January 2009, 10:05 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

Originally Posted by scoobymad555
boring ..... could always try one of those cheapie exhaust bungs off fleabay? .... must admit i'm plannin on getting one to stash in the boot for emergency "sorry officer" moments lol!
lol omg i so dont gas it when i see the pohleec
Old 28 January 2009, 10:39 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

heh heh neither do i ..... problem is when you're minding your own business toddling along and just happen to sneeze as you approach a corner which made your foot slip on the throttle. Next thing ya know there's disco lights and bad music behind ya cos dibble was happily munching his donuts waiting all tucked up out of sight to get his quota of paxos for the day and obviously didn't realise that you were only going a little quicker than you should have been purely by accident. At that point he also notices your exhaust being loud and you then have to apologise and explain that you'd been at a show on private grounds and had forgotten to put the silencer bung back in that's currently in the boot ....... well ...... that's the plan anyways lol!
Old 30 January 2009, 03:06 AM
dee052
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An old work mate has a 3" JASMA rated exhaust that is a lot louder than my STI Genome, his still has the cat in place, mine doesn't. Its not Nurspec loud but still loud.
Old 30 January 2009, 09:11 AM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dee052
An old work mate has a 3" JASMA rated exhaust that is a lot louder than my STI Genome, his still has the cat in place, mine doesn't. Its not Nurspec loud but still loud.
It cant be that loud because GC8 says that it cant be, when it has the cat in place, it will be no louder than a Prodrive - apparently.

GC8 - time to suck eggs

Jason
Old 30 January 2009, 09:18 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a full decat with the std twin pea shooter and it was louder than std, but not a lot. When i fitted a Magnex bb, it was louder and a touch louder again when i swapped to a Ninja.
Old 30 January 2009, 01:47 PM
KareenaBaby
BANNED

well i have taken a little video on my fone, any ideas how i can upload?
Old 30 January 2009, 01:51 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

usb or bluetooth it to your pc then upload it to photobucket

Quick Reply: would any1 be up for a swap with my exhaust?