Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY01 WRX driving impressions wanted for US

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2001, 08:31 PM
Davis K Powers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys have a great message board, our i-club has learned alot from you all.
Anyhow, my main question is for those lucky individuals who already own the new body-styled WRX and would be so kind to give me your overall impressions of the car. Handling, power and etc...
Us yanks have had to wait many years (6+yrs. I think) for the turbo to find its way into the Impreza and we look forward to finally get the chance to drive one. Many of us have already ordered the new WRX without even having seen one. (myself included)Next month will be it, a huge countdown has already begun.
Many thanks,

Davis

P.S. Go Richard!!!! "555"
Old 01 February 2001, 10:20 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good choice! The only competition comes from the old model and you guys couldn't get that one so... when i first saw the pictures and read some reviews i thought this Impreza had lost 'it'. So i took some testdrives in various other models and in the New Impreza and... nothing beats the WRX on value for money. It has lost a bit of raw power but it handles like a dream, it's comfortable on long highway trips, it's safer, practical and still hard to beat, speedwise. With a few mods it'll sound like the old model and hee, you Americans are used to ugly cars..
Old 01 February 2001, 10:41 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Cool

G'day Davis...Welcome to the board. Here's a review of the new car I did a little while back. The differences between previous and current models was immediately obvious.
Old 02 February 2001, 03:39 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well I'm not a 'lucky owner' but I've been through the process of deciding what car to buy next so I think I'm quite objective.

Compared to the MY99/00, the MY00 is superior except for 2 things:
1) Performance slightly worse.
2) It's the ugliest car in the world.

I didn't buy one, but not for reason 1, rather mainly for reason 2.

My other criticism of it can also be applied to the MY99/00. That is turbo lag (and I'm sure that it must be worse with pre-MY99).

The MY99/00 has f-all torque until the revs get to 2500 rpm (or whatever). The MY00 has a smoother torque curve, but still the torque 'off boost' is nothing special. As a result, I drove the car probably like most people: If you want acceleration, you need to change gear and get the revs slap bang in the turbo's max. boost range. As a result you tend to get 'on/off' acceleration.

Now that is OK for most drivers, including me for a while. But in the end it made me drive too fast. I prefer a car which has a much more progressive torque delivery.

Apart from that the car is VERY good and as long as you can put up with it's looks you'll love it.

Best of all don't you guys only pay around $25K for one? Of course I forget that the exchange rate is $1=£1, we don't really get ripped off in the UK do we?