Sponsored by:

Why would you?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2009, 09:15 AM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would you?

I would like to get a ball rolling here, need to see how you feel about the following. In my opinion, I feel a scooby (in most cases) should be treated with care, respect and tlc. Hence my point for discussion:

Unless you drive a rally version, why would you want to plaster stickers all over it? I feel (on some scoobys) it looks absolutely shocking! but, on some it does look ok.

Secondly, after years of scoobys with tidy spoilers, why would you want to remove them? It does look a bit wierd.

So, give me your best, most original answers, lets lighten up the spirit in this horrible crappy month!
Old 21 January 2009, 09:32 AM
Floodboy
Scooby Regular

When I was a kid, I had a toy car, which was the Lancia in the Martini livery and I thought it was the nuts. It made me watch Rally cars instead of F1 and I wanted to be a rally driver. Now im all grown up (according to the law not my ex wife) I now have a Subaru, because it became the ultimate rally car. I dont have stickers on mine, but if I did, it would be a replica of the rally livery, because I still dream of being the rally driver and that would be the next best thing.
Old 21 January 2009, 09:37 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO it only works if its a rep of the actual rally car colours.

Anything else with heavy stickerage looks naff. I also think the Cusco sticker set looks rubbish. The Cusco JGTC Impreza is about as modified as your going to get an old WRX classic with Cusco graphics looks rubbish.

Lancia Martini colours are just the bizz, although the Repsol ones looks great too.
Old 21 January 2009, 09:57 AM
Tomski_908
Scooby Regular

Surely it down to the owner, if every scooby looked the same it would be pretty dull! Hence why everyone trys different things - spoilerless, rally graphics and different body kit!

oh and i like the Cusco stickers better than the subaru swoosh's, something different! Plenty of cars on here and different in some way!
Old 21 January 2009, 10:06 AM
monty1
Scooby Regular

ive been toying with idea of decals for a while now,sometimes i think the car looks good as it is and othertimes id like to do something i bought the mica blue because of its colour,each to your own.
Old 21 January 2009, 10:45 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

If it looks good to the owner, If its innovative, If its fresh, If its unique, If its getting people talking then IMO its the right thing to do.

If we dont push the envelope then we will stagnate.
Old 21 January 2009, 11:11 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

push the envelope
Always wondered what that meant
Not having a go, just one of those sayings that gets used a lot and I have no idea where it came from.

Trending Topics

Old 21 January 2009, 11:33 AM
phil739
Scooby Regular

and what is wrong with stickers ...lol

each to there own
Old 21 January 2009, 11:33 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timwinner
If its innovative, If its fresh, If its unique, If its getting people talking then IMO its the right thing to do.
Possibly the problem with most is that are none of the above

Slapping some vinyls on a car is not what would i call pushing the envelope (awesome management speak )
Old 21 January 2009, 11:47 AM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

It's down to the owners taste. Same as changing the wheels,exhaust,suspension etc You wont find many standard Subaru's around. Even 22b's and new STI'S are having things done to them
Old 21 January 2009, 11:51 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

The member gallery would be kind of boring if all our cars were exactly the same.
Old 21 January 2009, 11:52 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx287
It's down to the owners taste. Same as changing the wheels,exhaust,suspension etc You wont find many standard Subaru's around. Even 22b's and new STI'S are having things done to them
But most mods are performance enhancing (as you mentioned) i don't think a bit of vinyl is (unless you go for the Barryboy method of modding )
Old 21 January 2009, 11:53 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on what you do I think.

I hate driving cars or bikes that are common as muck, so I've always gone for something a little less mainstream and even then, I try and individualise it further - even if sometimes its not always visible. I am making some sort of statement, I don't know what exactly (& no comments please ) but I have this desire to be different in some way.

My first car was a mini-van and I ended up painting it white and metalic blue camouflage. Why? Because I thought it looked good and it stuck out in a crowd. My first scoob (the original PTMW! ) ended up being a green wagon'd P1, at the time the first. My current scoob is purple/pink and spoilerless.

If nothing else, they are talking points, good or bad, and its what gets you noticed.
Old 21 January 2009, 12:03 PM
G-string
Scooby Regular

Each to thier own I say, as said above if all scoobys looked the same it would be very boring and I dont think this place would be as popular as it is now. Granted not every car on here is to everyones taste but as long as the owners happy what the hell.
Old 21 January 2009, 12:14 PM
dave247
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=krisando;8442169]I would like to get a ball rolling here, need to see how you feel about the following. In my opinion, I feel a scooby (in most cases) should be treated with care, respect and tlc. Hence my point for discussion:
[QUOTE]

At the end of the day its only a car, why should you treat it different to any other car?
Old 21 January 2009, 01:48 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

"pushing the envelope"

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
Always wondered what that meant
Not having a go, just one of those sayings that gets used a lot and I have no idea where it came from.
i think it comes from mans attempt to break the sound barrier in the 50's with planes like the X1 and people like Chuck Yeager

immortalised in the film/book "the right stuff"
Old 21 January 2009, 04:31 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

indervijewel

Only its not though is it? no, because everyone a ton of others have done exactly the same thing.
The 2 main culprits are Cusco and WRC livery, if your car isn't chock full of cusco parts on a negotiated rate due to advertising, or isn't a WRC car then what place do they honestly have?

The spoilerless I can see the benefit of, remove the spoiler and scoop from an impreza and it blends in like any other bog standard saloon, so its taking a step back and trying to be a little discrete about things.

I cringe when I'm out and see stickered up scoobs,
Old 21 January 2009, 05:13 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
"pushing the envelope"

i think it comes from mans attempt to break the sound barrier in the 50's with planes like the X1 and people like Chuck Yeager

immortalised in the film/book "the right stuff"

I see, as in Flight envelope

Cheers
Old 21 January 2009, 05:28 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Depends on what you do I think.

I hate driving cars or bikes that are common as muck, so I've always gone for something a little less mainstream and even then, I try and individualise it further - even if sometimes its not always visible. I am making some sort of statement, I don't know what exactly (& no comments please ) but I have this desire to be different in some way.

My first car was a mini-van and I ended up painting it white and metalic blue camouflage. Why? Because I thought it looked good and it stuck out in a crowd. My first scoob (the original PTMW! ) ended up being a green wagon'd P1, at the time the first. My current scoob is purple/pink and spoilerless.

If nothing else, they are talking points, good or bad, and its what gets you noticed.
I recall that green wagon back in the day was v nice motor indeed ....
Old 21 January 2009, 07:50 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Thank god we are all different, I'm a drab person and my car matches....

With no spoiler and a reverse scoop it would almost vanish.

IMHO

dunx
Old 21 January 2009, 08:06 PM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Its all about extending ones *****. ( So my better half tells me )
Old 21 January 2009, 09:28 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
But most mods are performance enhancing (as you mentioned) i don't think a bit of vinyl is (unless you go for the Barryboy method of modding )

Not having a crack here but what's an example or definition of "the Barryboy method of modding" considered to be? .... i've always considered it to be likes of sh1troen paxo's rolling about with scooby bonnet vents etc and stickers for japanese car parts that won't actually fit on their "cars" (using that word loosely as a definition for those coke-cans-on-wheels) but perhaps there's a different opinion?
Old 21 January 2009, 09:50 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

its a trolley dash through halfords then fitting it all to the car wether it suits it or not(the worse its fitted the better)

Just badly thought out mods though that dont suit the car.

Personally i hate lexus rear lights on scoobys,see some really nice classics on here and about generally an it makes me cringe when i see them on a otherwise nice car-they just spoil it(in my opinion)
Old 21 January 2009, 09:50 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Barryboy modding = pointless stuff
Which does include what you mention, but also stickering up your car a la rally car/GT car when it's clearly not not as offensive/pointless as the corsa+impreza vent obviously.

Don't know if you had a look recently but if not have a look at the French Shed Lottery on barryboys
Old 21 January 2009, 11:33 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by EddScott
IMO it only works if its a rep of the actual rally car colours.

Anything else with heavy stickerage looks naff. I also think the Cusco sticker set looks rubbish. The Cusco JGTC Impreza is about as modified as your going to get an old WRX classic with Cusco graphics looks rubbish.

Lancia Martini colours are just the bizz, although the Repsol ones looks great too.
Unfortunately Cusco is also the name of the manufacturer of a device that drs/ nurses use for finding the cervix when doing smear tests............so it seems odd to see it plastered on a car

Sorry if that's lowered the tone but I thought I should share that with you........
Old 22 January 2009, 12:12 AM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

Well the halfrauds trolley dash i can understand and agree with. Even go with the idea of anti-stickers for the likes that don't have parts to match the labels (bit like some porsche drivers heh heh ) but i personally don't see anything wrong with cars stickered up if they've actually got the stuff

Guess it's personal tastes and what you're used to - I've got an influence from the drift world since my brother and a couple of mates are into that scene in a big way .... personally think some of the graphics on those cars are awesome ..... may need the flamesuit for this one but, was even toying with the idea of something similar on mine and saying a big to those that don't like Difference between them and the rally livery to me is that they're unique and they are essentially styling too since in many cases they are actual pieces of art work ...... as opposed to the epic number of scooby's rolling around with the standard issue (fleabay) livery that's starting to look like it was a factory option

oh and [lorrainecallison] : do you want the take-away chicken burgers i just ate? .... i don't want them now having read your post lol! ...... soooooooo never putting cusco stickers on my car now lol!
Old 22 January 2009, 07:48 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

You could even go one step further and ask why some people bother to put a 22B bodykit on a car that will never be anything like a 22B,utterly ridiculous but very individual as are the graphics.End of the day its entirely up to the owner what he/she does to their car and if they like what they have done then all well and good.Other peoples opinions on your car are worthless
For the record i used to have cusco graphics on my Type R (one of the first in the country) until every tom,dick and abdul got them so they were removed as it was no longer individual
Old 22 January 2009, 08:20 AM
Tomski_908
Scooby Regular

Barryboy modding = pointless stuff
Which does include what you mention, but also stickering up your car a la rally car/GT car when it's clearly not not as offensive/pointless as the corsa+impreza vent obviously.

Don't know if you had a look recently but if not have a look at the French Shed Lottery on barryboys

OK what do you count as pointless modding??? Surely induction kits, exhausts, wheels, suspension etc etc are ALL pointless on the road (not need)! But most people on here their car will never grace a track but they have all these mod's! If you say stickers are a waste of time then so is paint jobs and keeping a nice looking car!

End of the day its up to yourself what you like but modding comes in all shapes and forms and non is pointless if you love the car!!
Old 22 January 2009, 08:57 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tomski_908
If you say stickers are a waste of time then so is paint jobs and keeping a nice looking car!
Paint protects the metal of the car and you can have a nice looking car without stickers.

Exhausts,wheels and suspension are all USEFUL ,whether or not you track you car or not, stickers are not
Old 22 January 2009, 09:43 AM
phil739
Scooby Regular

Exhausts,wheels and suspension are all USEFUL ,whether or not you track you car or not, stickers are not
useful!!!!

and so are the standard parts so why change them unless your going to track your car ????

as said its all down to each persons views