Car potentially sold but need some export advice

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2009, 11:11 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car potentially sold but need some export advice

Hi,

Sadly my RA is potentially sold to a fellow Type-RA member however I am sure it will be in good hands.

The chap is based in Europe so will be travelling to the UK to check the car over and do the final cash deal however I wanted to find out what I need to do from my end to inform the DVLA that the car is no being permenantly exported outside of the UK.

Will the buyer need insurance to cover him while he takes the car down to customs and across the pond to france?

Does he need somekind of certificate from the DVLA to verify the car is now sold and marked for export out of the UK?

Anyone have experience of selling to a non-UK buyer and have any advice for me?

I am confident the buyer is genuine as we have had various communications so far and he is a regular member on Type-RA.co.uk - Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, Impreza WRX STi Type RA, Impreza Type RA V Limited, Scooby V. Ltd, visit the WRX forum & Subaru forum site so I am not dealing with a complete stranger but obviously not had experience of selling to someone outside the UK so a bit lost as to what I need to do first.

Had a look on the V5 and there is a purple part labelled V5C/4 (pt 11) that I need to complete and return to DVLA, do I need to complete the new owner section V5C/2 (pt 10 - green) or not relevant for a non UK buyer?

Finally sank in today that I will be parting with what is still an amazing car and one of the most hardcore Impreza's made. I was in Northampton today and decided to take the Hanslope route back to Milton Keynes and my god, the car was simply amazing.

I had taken my mates Vectra down the same route a few days earlier so taking the RA today really showed what level the cars performance is at, handling with the DCCD was awesome coupled with the rapid point-to-point acceleration and confident braking from the 4-pots I got through the tough country tracks quicker than I expected.

No doubt I will be getting back to scoobies again and it will definitely be one of the earlier RA's for some cheapish fun but I did have a proper look at the new STi Type UK in blue and I love it, damn temptations!

Last edited by finalzero; 19 January 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 20 January 2009, 05:57 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If the car isnt personally exported by you, then you only need to tell them to whom you sold it. In theory he should end up wit the small slip, but in practice and with an eye on the future, Id send a photocopy of the V5, taken after Id written his details in the appropriate section. This will be enough to meet your legal obligation to them, whilst leaving him with the V5 that he will need to register it abroad. Alternatively you can obtain an export certificate yourself, but thatll be protracted.
Old 20 January 2009, 05:59 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Another solution might be to register the vehicle to the buyer at a UK address, your perhaps (which theres legal provision for); and then obtain the export certificate afterwards.
Old 20 January 2009, 08:21 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I sold my R5T2 to a Spanish guy in November. I had prepared a "Contract of Sale" (just 5 minutes typing on blank sheet of Word paper), really for my own peace of mind (in case he crashed it or committed an offence whilst on the way to Dover), which clearly stated the time and date of the transaction, the vehicle details (reg and VIN) and both names and addresses. This was signed by both parties at the time of sale.

As a motor trader, the Spaniard brought a set of trade plates and Euros cash on the plane with him. I exchanged the Euros into Sterling at the airport in his presence. We then went to the car, he checked it over, attached the trade plates and off he went. The trade plates gave him insurance for the journey back.

Regarding DVLA's V5C, there is a section 11 to be filled out by you and sent to Swansea. I also included a copy of the signed Contract of Sale, to show that I was no longer the registered keeper (i.e. not just relocating car to my Spanish villa (as if!).

You will then hear no more from them. I rang them a few weeks later and they confirmed that all was in order and no further correspondence was required from them or me. You could call them too if you want to sure.

One last detail: don't forget to take the tax disk off if you want to claim back any unused months.
Old 20 January 2009, 08:43 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

I have exported a few cars to France and I always register the car in my name in the UK first as it’s a pain in the **** to register a car here if you only have an export certificate. (I wouldn’t want the hassle of doing it at your address for somebody you don’t know)
But that’s his problem as is the insurance but if he has cover for your car from an EU country he can drive it in the UK if its taxed and MOTd just fill in what you normally do and let him sort it out.
Just make sure you have a clear receipt showing mileage date time of sale etc

The DVLA might send you demands for the tax if they have a problem with his address just make sure you have the copies of the receipts etc and don’t pay them anything they have lost my export paperwork on 2 occasions and even send one to a debt collector but as long as you have the paperwork to send them it’s ok.