Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many new STIs left?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2002, 01:22 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondered if anyone had any rough figures for how many STIs had not been sold yet (or, to put it the other way, how many have been sold ).

Also, is it only the Prodrive version that is in limited supply (1000 isnt it)? If so, do you think they will produce any more, or due you think they will wait for the redesign (if it happens any time soon), or go the whole hog and wait for the next all new model?

Just a couple of questions I was pondering while trying to do my work - and Im sure I saw a reference on the forum about perhaps the numbers were not going to limited - but Ive looked for the last half an hour with no results - still, what better way to put off work than to read about Scoobies...

John

edited - I just found the letter from Spring Park that I got the other day, which says "There is a limited supply of the stunning new Impreza Sti; to avoid disappointment consider placing your order as soon as possible..." No differentiation between the normal and Prodrive versions there.....

[Edited by JohnMcC - 2/21/2002 1:34:01 AM]
Old 21 February 2002, 08:43 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I thought the Prodrive Style version was limited to 1000 units, but that the standard version was in unlimited supply. Personally I wouldn't worry too much either way - given that the 1000 P1s lasted over a year, and some people will go for the cheaper STI even though the Prodrive version is available, I reckon they'll be around for a while yet.

According to my dealer, of the first 250 cars to enter the UK, 200 are Prodrive Style and 50 aren't. I guess this could mean that people are likely to snap up the Prodrives just to get one sooner - personally I'd rather wait and save myself £1500.

Andy.
Old 21 February 2002, 09:03 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I heard exactly the same figures as Andy. The thing is of course is that if the 750 Prodrive cars coming to the UK are in batches of 200 or so then it will be like the old grey import situation - availablilty when a boatload has come in, then possibly nothing for a few months until the next batch arrive and so on.

The impression I get is that most of the first batch are gone (and definitely all the 50 non Prodrive ones), and the next lot are not due in the UK until June or thereabouts....

Allegedly the STi will NOT be rejigged like the WRX is rumoured to be - which lends weight to the thought that Subaru will NOT make sheet metal changes to the WRX - retooling for this will be VERY expensive.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 2/21/2002 9:05:47 AM]
Old 21 February 2002, 11:26 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

Im not really in a position to buy an Sti though - not so much the actual OTR price, but more the insurance hike over the standard car (I'm only a young'un , and no garage ).

If thats the case I will have to settle for a WRX (oh well... ) - problem is I probably wont get one 'till the end of the year at earliest - and with all these facelift rumours I'm in a bit of a muddle...dont know whether to go for it or hold on.

Dont know if I can hold on too long though. I was thinking of maybe getting a used Scoob for now, and seeing how this whole thing pans out over the next 6 - 12 months.....

Old 22 February 2002, 07:14 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Check out the insurance?... Got my P-Sti insured with Elephant for £645. I was £690 with Admiral for my MY99.

Old 22 February 2002, 07:37 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

You'll get a hundred different replies on this subject.

I'm told by my dealer that there was meant to be around 750 STi's imported this year but in reality there may only be 600 or so. There will be roughly equal numbers of Prodrive and standard versions but because of the £1500 premium over the standard, the standard one is selling much better at present. This means that the standard one is in short supply whereas Prodrive versions are more readily available.

D.
Old 22 February 2002, 07:45 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

On the point about the much talked of MY03 face lift. I think that this is a load of cr*p. Subaru would not make significant changes to their new Impreza so soon especially having developed it into the STi version. It'll will be at least 2-3 years before they start changing body panels. The argument about the post-facelift cars not selling is nonsense - figures for last year apparently showed an increase in Impreza sales compared with 2000.

D.
Old 22 February 2002, 08:27 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

DJB: I don't buy that argument. The P1 was released not long before the new shape Impreza came along, and by all accounts that was a lot of work - getting the 2 door body and STI engine type approved wasn't trivial. I'm just wondering why it wasn't done earlier, after all, it's not as though there wasn't proven demand.

The upgrade from standard WRX to STI concentrates almost entirely on the engine and suspension; the differences in bodywork (bumpers, spoiler, lights) are pretty minor by comparison.

Subaru have a track record of updating the looks of the Impreza on a regular basis - look at the pre '96 shape, the '96-98 restyle, the complete new interior on the '98, and the new front bumper on the '99 and '00. By MY03 I reckon we'll at least be due a few tweaks, even if it's not the major redesign that some people have suggested. I wouldn't be surprised if the STI, being primarily a Japanese market product, gets these changes before the other models rather than after.

Andy.
Old 22 February 2002, 08:30 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Dave et all

Are not the Prodrive cars changed in the UK like the P1 ?

David
Old 22 February 2002, 08:58 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

And what was all that mumbo jumbo about PD version not having fogs as standard to save weight? why not take out the back seats or something else stupid like that - no fogs, like no sense
Old 22 February 2002, 09:10 PM
MisterToad
Scooby Regular

Stick with the ordinary wrx, saves you money and you can see the speedo instead of the rev counter.

Much more useful when trying to drive on all those roads that have suddenly been reduced to 50mph!
Old 22 February 2002, 09:17 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Andy

As you say, Subaru do make changes to their cars on a regular basis but most of these are minor changes which do not affect the body shell/panels. The Impreza was introduced in 1994 (to the UK anyway). They did not start changing body panels until 1998 and even then I think that they only modified the bonnet shape and louvres. I know that they made a whole series of changes to the interior, the engine and to the brakes and suspension over the years (as well as wheel and spoiler/bumper mods) but none of these involved changes to the main body shell until MY01.

As has been mentioned above, changing body panel tooling is very expensive for any car manufacturer. They will not do this too often.

D.

[Edited by DJB - 2/22/2002 9:18:49 PM]