Sponsored by:

What Problems with UK Spec Cars

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2001, 02:36 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Question

Hi - The Impreza GT Club have arranged a meeting with Subaru Deutschland to find out why they are not interested in pushing the Impreza that much in Germany and also to find out about aftermarket parts approval etc etc. What I want to know is what problems people have encountered with there Standard UK spec cars and what the solution was and how helpful Subaru UK was in the cure. I have heard of clutch judder, tram lining and some other problems but what else have people had. The reason for this is so we can put it to Subaru GmbH and get them to show a bit more commitment to their customers also to get things like 17" wheels and WRC spoilers upraited suspension etc approved. Also we have STI over here that is staffed by lots of little Japanese people and 2 Germans who have built am MY01 STI car so why can't we have production STI's aswell, we also do not have any imported Jap cars like you do in the UK. We are also not allowed to have sports exhausts fitted as they are to noisy. It is documented how much noise the car makes when it leaves the factory and you are not allowed to increase this level. (Not that we can get bits anyway) we have to import them from the UK.

Cheers

Steve
Old 31 January 2001, 05:18 PM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Steve
Don't know exactly what you're wanting, but the MY00 engine surges - very noticable motorway driving. I've been told it's the air flow that is the fault, but Subaru cannot solve it. If Subaru Gmbh could solve it I'm sure there'd be a lot of happy Subaru owners!
I have only had 1 contact with Subaru UK, but as my car is a UK Spec Euro import they think I don't exist!!

Hope ypu get the information you're after
JH
Old 01 February 2001, 02:09 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

I have an MY00 and my engine doesn't surge though I use it on a motorway every day having done 19k miles in it now. (Yes I am almost in China!) I have only heard other people complain of it on this BBS.

The standard headlights are poor and the brakes are just about adequate, although they are not strictly speaking mechanical "problems" they may fall short of consumer's expectations in the Fatherland?

The standard car has no air con which is an expensive add on, and climate control is not an option. A CD player also does not come as standard, unlike most variants of say the humble Peugeot 106/206 or dare I say Volkswagen Golf.

Apart from that it is an ace car, primarily produced in right hand drive format, for obvious reasons!

Old 01 February 2001, 02:42 PM
church_monster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had to have the gearbox rebuilt at 4000 miles on my MY00 due to a design fault with 5th gear working loose, although it was fixed pretty quickly and I still had four gears to use (5th seems to be only required over 125mph...not that I do this on public roads you understand)with bad fuel consumption.

I also do a lot of motorway driving, up and down the M25 every day and have found that my car tends to "Clutch Judder" in traffic.
Old 01 February 2001, 02:55 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

After 2 Uk cars and one Japanese import, I have had nothing mechanically wrong to complain about. The headlights are very poor - so I have uprated bulbs. The brakes are ok, but struggle on trackdays, so some better (and cheaper) official upgrades would be great.

My only complaint of Subaru Uk is their ridiculous behaviour towards those of us with Japanese cars. If they brought them into the Uk themselves no problem would exist - Like Mitsubishi - but as we have spent our money with Subaru Japan, it seems to be totally out of order to them !!! (Rant over).
Old 01 February 2001, 03:12 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Steve, speak to Frank Mullenbach for some news on parts.